Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Infotainment question - multiple music devices?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 01:59 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Infotainment question - multiple music devices?

Ok here's a weird one. Considering a Cayenne Diesel (going to look at a 2014 on Thursday), coming from a 2015 GMC Sierra. Funny but it's these *little* things I wonder about and want to understand before I dive in and find myself aggravated.

The Sierra has TONS of USB ports PLUS a SD slot and BT streaming, and you can load them all up with music devices and pull as one giant library.

I noticed with the last Cayenne loaner I had (2016 Base), when driving around with my wife.... I had my phone connected via BT and streaming Spotify.

My wife's phone battery got low so she pulled the USB cord out of her purse and plugged her phone into the USB slot in the Cayenne to charge it. Immediately the audio system dropped my phone's BT connection and started playing music off her phone. The "BT AUX" option disappeared from the media menu choices until she unplugged her phone. As soon as she unplugged the USB cord, "BT AUX" came back and I was able to keep streaming.

Are you only allowed one AUX device at a time?

In my Sierra I have a 128GB thumb drive I keep plugged in all the time for my music library (though I'd prefer to use my actual iPod, but the Sierra's system has some "known issues" with iPods). Ideally I'll keep an iPod (or I can load up a big SD card) plugged in all the time, and stream from my phone when I want to. Will I have an issue with this?
Old 12-06-2016, 05:15 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Are you only allowed one AUX device at a time?

In my Sierra I have a 128GB thumb drive I keep plugged in all the time for my music library (though I'd prefer to use my actual iPod, but the Sierra's system has some "known issues" with iPods). Ideally I'll keep an iPod (or I can load up a big SD card) plugged in all the time, and stream from my phone when I want to. Will I have an issue with this?
No - you can have more than 1. I have a thumbdrive plugged into the USB port. I also have my Android phone connected via Bluetooth to stream podcasts. Either can be selected.

I suspect what happened is the PCM recognized your wife's phone as a phone, and decided a phone plugged into the USB port has priority over one connected via Bluetoof. I'd suggest getting a standard lighter type charger for your wife's phone and plug it into the lighter outlet inside the center console storage area.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:12 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 201 Likes on 138 Posts

That and depending on the phone you might want to consider a cradle and mount setup for it. That way it's not in-hand or flopping around on a seat (with the charging wire getting caught in the seat slides).

Rennline makes a good one that fits on the side of pre-2017 PCM screens. Pro-clip and Kuda make ones that clips on to the console, just in front of the 'oh ****' handles.

That and not all radios will properly take advantage of large storage devices. The latest PCM supports up to 128gb and 10,000 media tracks. It's possible to exceed the number of tracks well before running out of storage space. I don't know what the previous revisions of the PCM support.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:30 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Thanks - yeah, that's another one of the "little" things that'd oddly a bigger concern for me.

My Sierra has TONS of storage space, little cubbies, etc. I've got an easy spot for my wallet, phone, etc. I noticed with the Cayenne loaner(s) I had, there is a surprising LACK of little storage spots.

I can understand it with a sports car.... but an SUV? Just two small cupholders, a small cubby under the armrest and that's it? I wound up keeping my phone in my pocket when I had the Cayenne.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:41 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

My Sierra has TONS of storage space, little cubbies, etc.

I can understand it with a sports car.... but an SUV?
Heh, it's an SUV from a sports car company. They cater to an entirely different segment than most truck-based SUVs. There's some overlap, but they don't focus on much other than the driving itself.

If you want to drive with junk stowed along with you then these aren't the vehicles you're looking for...
Attached Images  
Old 12-07-2016, 11:43 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

That said, I'm astounded by the level of hoarding possible in some current model SUVs and mini-vans. Man, there's gotta be space for stashing hundreds of pounds of extra crap in many of them.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:19 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

^^^ LOL

Yes, I have cubbies and storage spots I'm not using in the truck. I found a secret one UNDER the cup holders about a year ago - and (somehow?) hiding in it was my long-lost registration paperwork (and updated licence plate sticker) for my trailer. NO idea how it got there but DAMMIT I had to pay TWICE for updated tags because I couldn't find that damned piece of paper.

So there is such a thing as having TOO much storage.

But the Cayenne barely has any IMO. Hell my 944 had more spots it seems. I could stash my wallet and phone in the cubby under the radio, iPod and some pens went in the armrest, and any other misc items could easily fit in the door pocket.

I'd just like a convenient spot for my phone, wallet, work ID badge, some change, maybe a pack of gum and a pen, and not have to rearrange things when I need to put my coffee somewhere.
Old 12-07-2016, 01:22 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Well, there's a dedicated pen clip in the glovebox door, so there's that...

But I hear ya, I wouldn't mind some better storage places within 'easier' reach of the driver seat.

Note, the door pockets are pretty generous, and lined to keep down on noise from things rattling around. There's even a small upper shelf. Which seems to invite things flinging forward under sudden braking though.

I ran across this for glasses and note one picture shows a badge clipped in one side.

http://amzn.to/2hhbm3B
Attached Images  
Old 12-07-2016, 01:55 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Yeah there's no sunglasses holder up above the center console either. WTF?

LOL maybe I'll just keep the Sierra after all.

Clearly I've turned into an adult. What the hell is wrong with me? Considering passing on adding another PORSCHE to the collection because it doesn't have enough storage cubbies? LOL....
Old 12-07-2016, 02:32 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Yeah there's no sunglasses holder up above the center console either. WTF?
I had a cubby like the in the ceiling of my Grand Cherokee too.

In the Cayenne the sunglasses holder is right on the front of the seat bottom. There's a flip-down door that opens. There's also one on the passenger side. That was one of the first things I asked the salesman about. The downside to this is I can't see the glasses and have to avoid grabbing the lenses when pulling them out from there.

As for adult, well, I'm trying to put that off to as close to my demise as possible. It's working thus far.
Old 12-07-2016, 02:33 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

As for the center ceiling console, oy, the BUTTONS... I need my damned reading glasses just to tell which one does what...

Thus that visor clip...
Old 12-07-2016, 04:12 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Hahaha LOL.

Well I never really outgrew the "ooooh! Buttons!" phase, so having lots of buttons doesn't bother me. I'm old enough to have had cars growing up (including my first several cars) with manual locks, manual windows, etc. but young enough to still think the tech is cool.

My dad, on the other hand, is very rapidly becoming a strict carburetor, distributor, and points kind of guy. Last time he and I went car shopping, I was trying to talk him into a nice Audi (friend of mine owns a dealership) - and he passed because they didn't offer any models with manual crank windows anymore. "I prefer to roll my own windows down" LOL.
Old 12-07-2016, 04:26 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

When we vacation in the islands I always try to rent one of the oddball little cars they tend to have there. One Daihatsu 'Charade' (and isn't that a perfect name for such a POS) had manual crank windows. My then 6-year old was astounded how much work it took to just open windows. Spoiled little devils...

Pffft, points and carbs... no eff'ing way I'm going back to that nonsense. Sure, coil packs ain't cheap but EFI and engine systems go a long way toward much better performance and fuel economy. Let someone else wear the hairshirt.
Old 12-20-2016, 12:29 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Well for what it's worth.... the Panamera loaner I have (I bought the Cayenne, but haven't taken delivery yet, they're doing some stuff for me on it) also seems to kill the BT AUX capability once something is plugged into USB.

I plugged my regular old iPod Classic into the USB, and when I do that, the AUX BT disappears.

Seems it really only likes one digital AUX device at a time. Kinda stinks.

Quick Reply: Infotainment question - multiple music devices?