Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Better to lease for cars with high repair costs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 09:10 PM
diver110
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Better to lease for cars with high repair costs?

In the past, I have always thought it made more sense to buy than to lease. But I tended to drive cars into the ground and put a lot of miles on my car every year. (I have 146,000 miles on my Jeep GC.) I no longer drive as many miles per year. Now I’m kicking around the idea of buying a Cayenne. A big issue with used Porsches is their repair costs. Recently there was a thread by someone who bought a used Cayenne that turned out to have a bad cylinder. Some said the cost of replacing the engine was more than the car was worth. If you can lease a Cayenne for around, say, a thousand dollars a month, with no down payment, almost seems like leasing new makes more sense than buying used. There will be no repair costs, you avoid the risk of a catastrophic repair cost, and the depreciation risk is with the lessor. There also may be less sales tax. In my area, it is very difficult to see a high-end used car in my experience. And you keep more money in the bank. I guess you have to be sure about how many miles you drive per year. I don’t know how much they hassle you when you turn it back in. Thoughts?
Old 12-19-2017, 09:54 PM
phatz
Three Wheelin'

Received 179 Likes on 137 Posts

Are you able to use the lease payment as an expense?
Old 12-19-2017, 10:58 PM
diver110
Racer

Sadly, no.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:23 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Well, if you're leasing, I presume you're looking at a new car or newer car. Those are covered by warranty, so buying or leasing, the maintenance costs - other than routine - aren't really an issue, are they?
Old 12-20-2017, 08:24 AM
diver110
Racer

In my case, it is as opposed to buying used. Less out of pocket up front, but perhaps more in the long run, but with less risk. Trying to figure this out.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:21 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

I find the sweet spot value on buying high end cars is at 3 years oldish. 50% off MSRP CPOed. You can have extended warranty just as long as factory warranty with a good look at the car's history for potential issues. Avoid cars that goes back to the dealer often on carfax as an example. Porsche and Mercedes CPO coverage is almost as good as factory.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:56 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Those with money, high income earners, can afford to lease/rent an expensive vehicle-no problem. Pay more every month, no worries about problems or issues, or even maintenance.

The mfgr's and dealers love lessee's as they will need another vehicle when the lease is up and the money-cycle continues.

If I had the $$$, I'd lease, no question about it. New vehicle every 2-3 years, $400-900 monthly payment=no problem as my weekly/bi-weekly paycheck won't even notice it is gone, but alas, that ain't me.

When I get old and retire, with a pension/RSDI, I may lease, but for now, I'm a buyer and will pay for repairs as they come.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:45 PM
m0ther
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Absent taking advantage of shifting the car to OpEx, if you're using a lease so that you can afford a more expensive car, the answer is likely to look at less expensive cars. [Agree with chsu74 there, let someone else pay for the big initial depreciation hit in that case.] The "monthly payment not sticker price" routine is a sales tactic to separate the financially less-than-literate from their money.

BTW The cost of a lease includes the expected depreciation on the vehicle, so you'll pay for that either way.

IMHO ymmv, my $0.02...
Old 01-23-2018, 07:23 AM
TheUnscented
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts

I dunno. At this point in my career leasing a high end vehicle well within my budget and running the payment through my business is justifiable. So is having my business purchase the vehicle and taking advantage of the Section 179 deduction. Furthermore, all repair costs & maintenance are paid for by my business (which I own entirely). That said, I still get a deep satisfaction to turning wrenches myself and doing my own maintenance when possible. I figure that between my cars that I personal drive (not incl the Mrs.) I'll consume about 24k/year.

Last month I decided to throw my local P dealer a bone and have them change the plugs on my CPO CTT while I had them trouble shoot a couple of issues (leaking turbo discovered by me while doing maintenance and a rear hatch close problem). They solved neither of those problems but were successful in extracting $660 from my wallet to change eight pre-gapped spark plugs. Shame on my for not asking the cost prior. The CTT calls for spark plug changes Q 30k miles.So in a lease, will you be able to do $400 oil changes and other maintenance yourself? You'll need to figure that into your calculus.

Smart business use insurance, warranties, maintenance contracts and typically buy or lease new to reduce risk and eliminate the unknowns---but nobody accuses me of being very smart.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:22 AM
BallJack
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

There probably is no wrong or right answer to your question. I'm guessing that leasing will cost more but the discussion should not end there.

I used to enjoy working on my cars before and really felt good getting a great deal on really nice 3 year old cars. Like chsu74 mentioned, that is the sweet spot. You get a relatively new car for a big discount.

Things change however. Now I just want to drive everyday and not worry about anything with the car. Also I get bored sooner now with my cars and get the itch to change again after a couple of years. I'm a big fan of technology. Almost every year there is a new technology update and I want the latest technology in my cars. I am done upgrading/replacing my car's head unit (for example) so I can get the latest tech. Barely one year into my current lease and I already want to order the new Cayenne coming out this fall. I wonder if my dealer will let me swap to a new one.

Leasing makes more sense for me now (for my daily driver). That's not to say that leasing costs less than buying and reselling after a couple of years - doing the same scenario. I didn't do the math and I don't want to be bothered by the whole reselling effort of my old car. I am okay if leasing costs more. That's the price I'm willing to pay for convenience and my peace of mind.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:27 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

So an old friend of mine leased everything that was high-end - but through his business. He over-paid the lease payments every month... then when it came time to turn the car in, he got a refund check. Nice way to get some money back without the IRS taking their cut.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:58 PM
fourthirteen
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
I find the sweet spot value on buying high end cars is at 3 years oldish. 50% off MSRP CPOed.
This. Used car with remaining factory warranty or, in Porshe's case, a CPO with as-good-as factory warranty is the way i like to go.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:04 AM
TXCOMT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fourthirteen
This. Used car with remaining factory warranty or, in Porshe's case, a CPO with as-good-as factory warranty is the way i like to go.
Oh, yeah...CPO all the way! Before we traded our '11 base for a '14 S at the local P dealer, I never put much thought into getting a CPO car, but I'm certainly glad I did now! Our S, the wife's DD, has been back to the shop a couple of times for things that should've been done during the CPO certification process...still, the dealer made it right with no costs out of pocket, so color me happy. I've now become a true believer in the P CPO.

TXCOMT
Old 01-24-2018, 09:42 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

And now (as of 12/1/2017) that the CPO is unlimited miles, it's even more appealing!
Old 01-24-2018, 10:08 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

FYI apparently the CPO on ex-service-loaner 2015 Cayenne Diesels is not only unlimited miles, but *8* years

Last edited by User 52121; 01-25-2018 at 12:58 AM. Reason: Posted in the wrong section from mobile device...

Quick Reply: Better to lease for cars with high repair costs?