Been shopping, 2011 Cayenne Turbo vs 15 Macan S

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 06:05 PM
1FlossedM3
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Been shopping, 2011 Cayenne Turbo vs 15 Macan S

Yea, weird cross shopping I know.

Drove the Macan S today, great little car. Handled awesome. PDK is fantastic. Need to make sure I have enough space in the back for my daughters car seat who is 1. $49,000 (CPO)

Haven't driven the Cayenne Turbo, its an 11, black on black, loaded up. 74,000 miles. Asking $44K could probably get for $40K.

Could take the $9000 and toss in the bank for repairs on the Cayenne but I don't want to go bankrupt either with the Turbo Cayenne.

Thoughts? or am I being dumb..
Old 01-04-2017, 06:34 PM
Miamirice
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I think you have to decide on your utility needs. I have a 2006 Ceyenne S and find the rear storage lacking. I look at the Macan and as good as it looks the rear storage for me is a non starter. It's a big heavy car that holds less than the vw golf we have. The fact you have a child....think you need to consider that.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:37 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

You are going to get a rash of biased opinions here, methinks. The Macan feels too much like Porsche turned the new VW beetle into a tiny SUV to me. It is just too small to have a usable back seat and I would rather have a sport sedan.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:03 PM
uphoto
Pro

Received 315 Likes on 132 Posts

I was talking to a friend of my brothers the other day, this guy has pretty much every Porsche you can think of other than a SUV because you know why would he want an SUV?

He took one of his cars in for service and got a Macan S as a loaner. He said he was shocked at how fun that vehicle was and was just giddy with excitement over it. He said he was beyond impressed.

His feedback meant a lot to me but the Macan S was out of my budget so still went with the CTT.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:15 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 286 Posts

Macan is tiny inside. If you don't want your seatback kicked constantly, go with the Cayenne. The Turbo is one of the most incredible cars around - but you might want to get it with an extended warranty just in case.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:06 PM
1FlossedM3
Pro

The macan drives like a car, it is indeed small inside but i was shocked how fun it was to drive.

The back seat is not big but my wife has the baby most of the time, i sometimes have to get her from daycare though and she is getting bigger. I cant imagine a rear facing seat would fit too well.

I don't haul a lot of stuff, just trash around to our dumpster and occasional signage.. but the Cayenne is obviously far bigger inside. Hard to find Cayenne Turbos with warranties it seems under $45k
Old 01-04-2017, 09:27 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FlossedM3
Hard to find Cayenne Turbos with warranties it seems under $45k
That's sort of a hint isn't it?

I love mine - and would buy another.. but you really should read: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/c...s-failure.html

It's easy to check if this has been addressed. Take a dental mirror along with you for any 2011-2012 V8 Cayenne you're considering. It's primarily a 2011 issue - but some late 957 2010's got this and some early 958 2012's were lucky (not) enough to get it. IMHO - it's not a reason to pass up a nice one - just factor $2,600 into the price to have WC-22 done.

IMHO (and the opinion of my independent mechanic) anyone who owns an expensive German car is foolish if they don't get a warranty on it.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:31 PM
1FlossedM3
Pro

Originally Posted by deilenberger

I love mine - and would buy another.. but you really should read: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/c...s-failure.html

It's easy to check if this has been addressed. Take a dental mirror along with you for any 2011-2012 V8 Cayenne you're considering. It's primarily a 2011 issue - but some late 957 2010's got this and some early 958 2012's were lucky (not) enough to get it. IMHO - it's not a reason to pass up a nice one - just factor $2,600 into the price to have WC-22 done.

IMHO (and the opinion of my independent mechanic) anyone who owns an expensive German car is foolish if they don't get a warranty on it.

Thanks for your reply.

Can I buy a Fidelity Warranty after the fact if a car is an 11 with 74,000 miles?

I'm looking at CTT
Old 01-04-2017, 09:56 PM
pavster
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have 1 kid and you're worried about space? I drove a Juke for the year we had just one kid (rear-facing) and no issues (Juke is a very fun car if you can get over its looks). Juke is MUCH MUCH Smaller than the Macan.

Now that we have two kids, we use an A7 as a daily. It's only slightly bigger than a Macan inside. Works fine.

You're choosing between a new car with zero miles and 74k mile 5+ year old car with a potentially faulty engine. Seems like a no brainer to me. Do you want your wife to be stranded when you're away on a business trip?
Old 01-04-2017, 10:00 PM
1FlossedM3
Pro

Originally Posted by deilenberger

Originally Posted by pavster
You have 1 kid and you're worried about space? I drove a Juke for the year we had just one kid (rear-facing) and no issues (Juke is a very fun car if you can get over its looks). Juke is MUCH MUCH Smaller than the Macan.

Now that we have two kids, we use an A7 as a daily. It's only slightly bigger than a Macan inside. Works fine.

You're choosing between a new car with zero miles and 74k mile 5+ year old car with a potentially faulty engine. Seems like a no brainer to me. Do you want your wife to be stranded when you're away on a business trip?

LOL

I did find an 09 Cayenne Turbo as well, 66kmi, for 32K.. probably better off buying a damn Macan with a warranty.. even the 15's still have a decent warranty.

I am shopping CPO Macans so high 40s.

Wife has her own SUV so she should be ok!
Old 01-04-2017, 10:52 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

I'd go for Cayenne if you appreciate things like power, comfort, space, sound, ability to soft-road and tow, interior quality - too many to list, really. I'd go for Macan S if you appreciate newer design and electronics. There is not much else going for it besides looking newer and fresher and having warranty. But once warranty is gone, you are back to square one of having no warranty, plus the depreciation hit of going from warranty to non-warranty... The probability of getting stranded is not that different - new cars break just as often, they are just fixed via warranty (both my Porsches broke the most in the first year, FWIW). It's always better to buy a nicer used car, unless you really need something in the new car that was not available in the older models. I actually wish that was not true, because I like everything new, but the rational mind tells me I'm getting poor value.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:46 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,172 Likes on 3,936 Posts

If it will be your only car, get the Cayenne or a Cayenne, as the Macan is too small inside. My wife DDs a 997 and our 12 year old daughter is getting g a little big for the rear seat so we're considering a Macan to become her daily, but we already have a full size pick-up and a Cayenne 957 TTS, so the Macan is being shopped as a slightly larger 911, not 8n comparison to a Cayenne.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:33 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

He posted in another thread that he also has an R8.

OP, just get a CTT and quit overthinking it... you know every time you see one if you are sitting in a Macan you will have regret, haha.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:43 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Drive both. Heck, drive a 'regular' Cayenne so you're not totally swayed by the powah first of the TT. They're both very different and I have a feeling that people are divided into two camps: Cayenne people and Macan people.

When I first drove a Macan (friend picked up a '16 in the spring) I really liked it. His wound up being lemon-law'd and he bought another (a '17) and loves it. He's a die-hard Porsche guy (MoD on here tho he doesn't post much). He traded a 958 (not sure on the year, 2011?) Cayenne S for it and is happy he made the switch.

When I was waiting for my Cayenne to be delivered, I was given a '17 Macan S for a loaner. I was excited for it because I've been contemplating trading my wife's DD (a 2013 GTI) for a Macan 2.0 and was excited to get to spend some time driving a Macan (albeit an S for the loaner... but still...)

I came away feeling "meh" and couldn't find that "Hey I really like this!" feeling I had when I drove MoD's. It might have to do with some options? The loaner I had was option'd up with sport options (Sports Chrono, sport shocks, sport exhaust, etc) but had basic rubber dash, simple black interior (that felt kind of spartan) etc. and it really did just feel like a VW. Even had that distinct "new VW" smell to it (the loaner was new.) It was FUN as hell when I drove it aggressively - but puttering around left me kind of disappointed. Felt soft and un-Porsche-like.

The Cayenne feels so much more substantial to me. Bigger, beefier, more solid, tight, and direct. I can put 4 adults in it comfortably. The Macan interior is about the same size as the GTI. My son (12) fits back there fine, and when he was in a child seat still, we had a 2-door 2003 GTI and it fit fine. So I imagine the Macan will work for you with the car seat situation. It's just gonna be snug if you put adults in it.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:29 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

I tend to agree with the sentiment of most here, my vote would go to the Cayenne (of course this is a Cayenne forum).

Back in June when I was looking to replace my '08 957 CTT, I too looked extensively at the Macan versus a 958 Cayenne and in the end went Cayenne mainly because of the increased size/utility.

A factor for me was also the V8. The Macan S and the Macan Turbo both ran quite strong, but they just don't match the feel and response of the V8, no matter how much forced air you ram into the thing.

You should be able to find a nice '11 or '12 CTT with a solid extended warranty. I did just that from a Porsche dealer nearby. I'd recommend not being swayed by fears of WC-22 or any number of maladies that can crop up on any of these complex vehicles if you get one with a warranty. All vehicles have their known issues. In most cases nothing ever happens, but in the event something does, you have your warranty to fall back on. Macan, Cayenne, or whatever, I wouldn't own ANY of these without a warranty.

If you go drive that '11 CTT you're looking at, and even drive it back-to-back with the Macan, I'd be surprised it you didn't end up liking the CTT more. It's just that much more entertaining, not to mention the increased utility. I love mine.

Best of luck with your quest!

Quick Reply: Been shopping, 2011 Cayenne Turbo vs 15 Macan S