Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Open the rear hole on 958 Cayenne S muffler? (photo)

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2022, 06:48 PM
TyreReviews
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by F SANE IL
If you know how to weld and have tools, shouldn't be a problem. Use hole saw, then weld back those second holes. I just don't have the tools or knowledge
Sadly for me you have more knowledge than I do on welding but you're right, if it's awful I'm sure there's a way to reattached.
Old 09-16-2022, 08:23 PM
geetee
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

I have a 12' v6. The muffler i believe is the same as the v8's as it looks like the picture in the 1st post. Opening on the back port and the front port is closed.
A couple years ago I opened up the front port. Soundwise makes no difference just opening up the front port as it's really packed with wool-like material. I removed all the wool and now it's pretty loud. I welded a metal plug covering up half the port as it was too much and now it sounds good. Very similar to a 957 turbo with 2ndary deletes.
I bet it'll sound really good on a V8.
What i would do is drill out/remove half the size of the plug and remove all the packed wool material and be done with it.
The following users liked this post:
TyreReviews (10-07-2022)
Old 09-17-2022, 03:55 PM
11bravo
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

If you are working with a flat surface, as in the 1st photo, drill a hole, and buy a plug at HD to cover it if you don't like it. Plugs are typically available from 1/2" up to 2", in 1/4" steps. They snap in and out, and provide a good seal with no welding. Many people have done this, via the CorvetteForum. You can remove insulation, then plug it, or leave it open after you remove insulation. Maybe not a good idea if you plan on fording rivers, but works well otherwise.

I don't know yet what the effect will be, so cannot recommend this. I might try it, pending the comments I get...

Last edited by 11bravo; 09-17-2022 at 04:04 PM.
Old 10-02-2022, 09:10 AM
jaustin
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

I see a used sport exhaust with both ports open on ebay right now. Seems to be located in California incase anyone wanted one.
Old 10-09-2022, 02:13 PM
TyreReviews
Instructor

Ok I got bored of thinking about this, so I'm doing it in phases.

Phase 1, drill some holes in one side for enough room to pull the wadding out, and see what it sounds like.

Result: Almost no change. So subtle in car, maybe 5% if you put your head that side of the exhaust. No issue with heat melting the rear bumper.

Phase 2 will be doing the same the other side then trying to get more exhaust wadding out. Then bigger holes.

Notes: yes it's a trash job, but I plan on putting a plate over once all the wadding is out. Pulling the wadding out is nasty, its exhaust coated fibreglass so wear a mask, gloves, long sleeves etc. It's really packed in there, hard to pull out at first but once it gets going it's like pulling a handkerchief from a clowns sleeve.
The following 2 users liked this post by TyreReviews:
fourthirteen (10-09-2022), Z06jerry (11-07-2022)
Old 10-10-2022, 05:04 PM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Received 175 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by TyreReviews
Ok I got bored of thinking about this, so I'm doing it in phases.

Phase 1, drill some holes in one side for enough room to pull the wadding out, and see what it sounds like.

Result: Almost no change. So subtle in car, maybe 5% if you put your head that side of the exhaust. No issue with heat melting the rear bumper.

Phase 2 will be doing the same the other side then trying to get more exhaust wadding out. Then bigger holes.

Notes: yes it's a trash job, but I plan on putting a plate over once all the wadding is out. Pulling the wadding out is nasty, its exhaust coated fibreglass so wear a mask, gloves, long sleeves etc. It's really packed in there, hard to pull out at first but once it gets going it's like pulling a handkerchief from a clowns sleeve.
You are brave...
Maybe a holesaw can open it fully
Old 10-10-2022, 05:21 PM
TyreReviews
Instructor

lol yes I should have not been lazy and gone out and got the right size of holesaw.
Old 10-10-2022, 05:24 PM
joe12s
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By the look of it there is a big chamber you are unpacking not just a sleeve . So I’m assuming it goes into that chamber then bleeds out into open chamber and exits the other pipe? Curious to know what it looks like through that hole you make .
Old 10-14-2022, 07:07 PM
TyreReviews
Instructor

Stage 2 complete. I opened up the otherside with a holesaw (much better idea) and pulled what felt like even more packing out. Entire process was about 20 minutes.

I also opened up the otherside slightly more and now the car sounds most of what I remember the sports exhaust sounding like. Subtle on highway, but nice v8 sound when accelerating with more than a small amount of throttle. Not loud, but it's now definitely there and sounds so much better than the over silenced stock system.

I figured I've pulled about 2/3rds of the wadding out, there's still a lot on the base of the exhaust. Once I've driven it a bit and pulled a bit more out I'll get photos of the inside and videos of it. Really happy with how it sounds and I don't think anyone would call it too loud. It's maybe 15% more than stock and 10% under a sports exhaust.

Old 10-14-2022, 11:17 PM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Received 175 Likes on 138 Posts

Stage 2 complete. I opened up the otherside with a holesaw (much better idea) and pulled what felt like even more packing out. Entire process was about 20 minutes.

I also opened up the otherside slightly more and now the car sounds most of what I remember the sports exhaust sounding like. Subtle on highway, but nice v8 sound when accelerating with more than a small amount of throttle. Not loud, but it's now definitely there and sounds so much better than the over silenced stock system.

I figured I've pulled about 2/3rds of the wadding out, there's still a lot on the base of the exhaust. Once I've driven it a bit and pulled a bit more out I'll get photos of the inside and videos of it. Really happy with how it sounds and I don't think anyone would call it too loud. It's maybe 15% more than stock and 10% under a sports exhaust.

Glad I could help with holesaw idea. Haha.

I'm waiting for video od sound b4 and after. Hope you took b4 video. Cause I can't reference my own CS.

You planning on getting the new tips?
Old 10-15-2022, 10:21 AM
TyreReviews
Instructor

Of course I didn't get a before video, that would be way too sensible. Luckily everyone knows what the stock exhaust sounds like.

Eventually I'm cutting the exhaust off, just having some fun at the moment before I turn it into a very offroad car
Old 10-15-2022, 11:43 AM
joe12s
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you see inside the chamber ? After you remove the matting is it a empty can or is there a pipe inside directly behind the hole you opened ?
Old 10-15-2022, 11:48 AM
TyreReviews
Instructor

Not too well yet, i tried to get a photo but it was pretty dark. I'll try and get a better one today, and get some wire in there to see what I can feel. There's almost certainly not a pipe within 6 inches of the hole (depth)
Old 10-15-2022, 08:15 PM
geetee
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Not too well yet, i tried to get a photo but it was pretty dark. I'll try and get a better one today, and get some wire in there to see what I can feel. There's almost certainly not a pipe within 6 inches of the hole (depth)
Both sides where you opened up and removed material is a hollow chamber. If you look straight into the hole you drilled, You can see a cap just like the one you drilled into.
Old 10-15-2022, 08:20 PM
TyreReviews
Instructor

I can see a perforated through pipe which looks to run front to back (tbc) , not a cap.

Quick Reply: Open the rear hole on 958 Cayenne S muffler? (photo)