Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Porsche dealer scammed me! Need an advice!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 07:25 PM
jfort
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Warranty

an implied warranty as to the condition can be, and usually is, disclaimed by an "as is" provision in the contract. But an express warranty is not disclaimed thereby. Did the salesman say that it had not been wrecked?
Old 07-13-2016, 07:45 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Dokebi1221
Thing is, when the car dealer buys a used car from a person, they ask them if the car was in an accident. When I was talking to my salesman yesterday, I asked them if they asked the previous owner if it was in an accident. The previous owner told them it wasn't involved in an accident he said. If the car was indeed in an accident, then the previous owner lied to the dealer about being in an accident. Which means, dealer should go after the previous owner.

I'm just hoping Carfax made a mistake.
In principal a verbal statement should hold the PO liable for lying but depending on the State it may not.

Legal term is hearsay...A statement made out of court that is offered in court as evidence to prove the truth of the matter asserted.

If the dealer does not have it in writing...most likely too bad.

Your experience has prompted me to order another Carfax on my GTS, purchased in November of 2015. Fortunately no change in the report.

BTW about 15 years ago I turned in a leased Nissan Pathfinder to a dealer and was asked if it was in an accident. I could not tell a lie, I hit a deer which waffled the entire front end. The repair sucked, it was plainly visible IMO. I was not asked to sign a statement about the accident, there was no police report.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:39 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I doubt selling dealer was unaware of previously painted parts. It takes less than a minute to walk around a trade and check it with one of those handheld paint meter. Especially when they are taking in a $50-60k trade...

Car fax is useless.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:08 AM
jvmax
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 32 Posts

unless a PPI was done, you are out of luck. Dealers know just by looking if there was any paint work - if you traded in they would point that out and low ball you. I would just drive it and enjoy it, it's an SUV.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:09 AM
Dokebi1221
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DWC in Sedona
You hope.

In four decades of car buying, I can't recall ever having been asked if my trade-in had been in an accident.
Not sure if you got to finish reading my paragraph, but I wrote salesman told me they did ask the previous owner and previous owner told them no accident.

Originally Posted by jfort
Did the salesman say that it had not been wrecked?
Yes, no accident he told me before buying. He assured me on it, because I had to drive 5 hours to get there.

Originally Posted by v10rick
Your experience has prompted me to order another Carfax on my GTS, purchased in November of 2015. Fortunately no change in the report.
I hope people who already bought a used car, keep checking on their Carfax time to time. Also, hopefully my experience will give future used car owners put down on writing from the dealer, if Carfax ever updates and the car has been in an accident, they will buy it back the car.

Originally Posted by wilfred
I doubt selling dealer was unaware of previously painted parts. It takes less than a minute to walk around a trade and check it with one of those handheld paint meter. Especially when they are taking in a $50-60k trade...
Little update on the paint issue. Before I bought the car, the salesman said, there are some scratch marks on the driver side door and they will fix that. He said there weren't any scratch marks couple days before I spoke to him. So it was something new that happened couple days before. He didn't know they had to paint the whole door and now after checking with the service people, they had to paint the whole door he says to make it all even...Makes sense I guess...So he is saying that the paint is from them and not from the accident.

Still waiting on Carfax report. Let see what happens...
Old 07-14-2016, 12:40 PM
WJGreer
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 96 Posts

Not sure if you got to finish reading my paragraph, but I wrote salesman told me they did ask the previous owner and previous owner told them no accident...Yes, no accident he told me before buying. He assured me on it, because I had to drive 5 hours to get there.
You didn't mention that in your OP, and it's an extremely relevant point.

Did the dealer tell you that the car had a clean Carfax, or did the dealer tell you the car had not been in any accidents? Those are two different representations with two different liabilities on the dealer's part.

Editorially, I'd be shocked if the dealer told you that a used car had not been in an accident, apart from representing the contents of the Carfax to you. As we see in your case, there are simply too many opportunities for them to be wrong about that.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:52 PM
Dokebi1221
Instructor

Originally Posted by WJGreer
As we see in your case, there are simply too many opportunities for them to be wrong about that.
Let see what happens with the dealer. They are still working with Carfax to fix the issue. I'm not going to sit around like an idiot and give up like some people are telling me to. I'm going to fight until I can. So far, I'm satisfied with what dealer is doing right now. Trying to correct the issue.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:51 PM
boxsternewbie
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I need some advice from the fellow members! Some people know that I purchased a low miles 2012 Cayenne S Hybrid 4 months ago from a Porsche dealership far away from me.

The car is great, there is nothing wrong with it mechanically so far. The problem happened when I took it to the dealership near by me. There was some paint protector coming off from the driver side door and I was still covered on the factory warranty, so I brought the car in to get it fixed. What I found out was that the whole driver side door had new paint on it. They asked me if this car was in an accident, and I told them not that I know of because it had clean carfax. I didn't think too much at that point, maybe previous owner had some scratch and painted perhaps and were not involved in an accident...

After weeks past by, there was a super low miles Cayenne S with all the options I wanted, so I was thinking let me just get an appraisal on my car to see how much it is worth it anyway. What I found was heart breaking. The car fax showed it was involved in an ACCIDENT last year! When I purchased this car, it didn't show up in the car fax, but this dealership tells me sometimes it takes up to 6 months for the report to be updated...

So, here is my problem. I bought a car that was involved in an accident with basically full clean title, one owner car price. The Porsche dealership who sold me the car assured me that this car had clean car fax. I'm not sure if they ever knew it was involved in an accident, but now we know it has been last year before I purchased this car.

I know I have to contact the Porsche dealership I bought the car from, but I want to know how I should approach them. Will they even buy back my car or even pay me some kind of difference? Will they say, sorry it's your problem now? I would 100% sure I would't have bought this car if it was involved in an accident! Now it's on the car fax and it will be even harder to sell it...

How would you approach this?
Seems to be common. I just found out a few weeks ago that my rear bumper has been repainted. Dealer said nothing and carfax was clean

This was certified preowned from a Porsche dealership with a Porsche warranty still on it.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:54 PM
boxsternewbie
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
I would recommend talking to an attorney to find out what are the legal obligations in this situation before you talk to the dealer. If you have a legal leg to stand on, it may be a matter of simply going and saying, "CARFAX is now showing an accident, you need to make up the price difference". Otherwise, you may end up relying on the dealer's good will and valuation of his good name, which will radically change your approach.
attorney would probably cost more than any refund they would give her
Old 08-16-2016, 09:20 PM
napa33
AutoX

This is also my concern, as I'm looking to buy a 2014 CD from out of state. I've looked at the Carfax, but how do you really know what you're getting? Is there another reporting service that can be used?
Pictures alone aren't enough.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:56 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by napa33
This is also my concern, as I'm looking to buy a 2014 CD from out of state. I've looked at the Carfax, but how do you really know what you're getting? Is there another reporting service that can be used?
Perhaps a person could 'test drive' straight to a CarMax location and let them evaluate it for a trade. Those appraisers have a keen nose for ANYTHING wrong with a car.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:02 AM
mdosu
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

What amount is this undisclosed accident worth to you? Is there a number they can write on a check to make you whole?
Old 08-17-2016, 01:19 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by napa33
Autocheck - but they both can miss stuff. If you really want to know the condition - find a good used car manager at the Porsche dealership while it's getting the PPI* and give him $100 to give it a once over. They won't report on the deep mechanical stuff - that's for the PPI.

What they can do is spot bodywork from 5 yards away that looks PERFECT to the average eye. I didn't believe it until I saw one do it, and challenged them to find bodywork on a few other cars. They have an eye for it that's better than any paint-gauge. At least one who runs a profitable used-car operation. Make sure it's the manager - they're top dog for this sort of thing - evaluating trades.

* PPI - you ARE getting a PPI done right?
Old 08-17-2016, 12:14 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 260 Posts

^ I will add that you should get your PPI(pre purchase inspection) done at a porsche dealership that is not where the car is at for sale.

Google for neighboring porsche dealers and work from the PPI results. Post the PPI result if you want us to help decipher it.

For a '14 car, you would just be looking at tires, brakes, paintwork and potential missed maintenance.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:13 PM
solrac6262
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I had a similar problem 3 years ago, I bought a 997.2 I went home, it was in December a little snow, a few weeks later when I had the first chance to wash the car, I noticed on the door rocker panel some weird looking paint, the color was silver metallic very hard to match, I went crazy, I took the car to a couple of body shops and borrowed paint meters, the full driver side was re painted, I went directly to the GM and explained the situation and that no one told me the car was repainted, no questions asked he offer a full refund or exchange for another vehicle, I bought another vehicle, the bad part was that the car had new wheels and tires from me and I was not able to negotiate on the new car..

They should refund you period

Quick Reply: Porsche dealer scammed me! Need an advice!