Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Porsche dealer scammed me! Need an advice!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 12:14 PM
Dokebi1221
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Porsche dealer scammed me! Need an advice!

I need some advice from the fellow members! Some people know that I purchased a low miles 2012 Cayenne S Hybrid 4 months ago from a Porsche dealership far away from me.

The car is great, there is nothing wrong with it mechanically so far. The problem happened when I took it to the dealership near by me. There was some paint protector coming off from the driver side door and I was still covered on the factory warranty, so I brought the car in to get it fixed. What I found out was that the whole driver side door had new paint on it. They asked me if this car was in an accident, and I told them not that I know of because it had clean carfax. I didn't think too much at that point, maybe previous owner had some scratch and painted perhaps and were not involved in an accident...

After weeks past by, there was a super low miles Cayenne S with all the options I wanted, so I was thinking let me just get an appraisal on my car to see how much it is worth it anyway. What I found was heart breaking. The car fax showed it was involved in an ACCIDENT last year! When I purchased this car, it didn't show up in the car fax, but this dealership tells me sometimes it takes up to 6 months for the report to be updated...

So, here is my problem. I bought a car that was involved in an accident with basically full clean title, one owner car price. The Porsche dealership who sold me the car assured me that this car had clean car fax. I'm not sure if they ever knew it was involved in an accident, but now we know it has been last year before I purchased this car.

I know I have to contact the Porsche dealership I bought the car from, but I want to know how I should approach them. Will they even buy back my car or even pay me some kind of difference? Will they say, sorry it's your problem now? I would 100% sure I would't have bought this car if it was involved in an accident! Now it's on the car fax and it will be even harder to sell it...

How would you approach this?
Old 07-11-2016, 12:25 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 845 Likes on 464 Posts

I would recommend talking to an attorney to find out what are the legal obligations in this situation before you talk to the dealer. If you have a legal leg to stand on, it may be a matter of simply going and saying, "CARFAX is now showing an accident, you need to make up the price difference". Otherwise, you may end up relying on the dealer's good will and valuation of his good name, which will radically change your approach.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:35 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
I would recommend talking to an attorney to find out what are the legal obligations in this situation before you talk to the dealer. If you have a legal leg to stand on, it may be a matter of simply going and saying, "CARFAX is now showing an accident, you need to make up the price difference". Otherwise, you may end up relying on the dealer's good will and valuation of his good name, which will radically change your approach.
Sound advise from Shawn!

Is your car CPO? If so, I'm pretty sure Porsche does not CPO cars that have been in a accident.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:36 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 763 Posts

Yet another reason to never depend on Carfax (or any other of the info gathering services..)

Was the car a CPO'd car? If it wasn't I would have wanted to know why not.. and that might have revealed that they knew about the accident (which can disqualify it from CPO depending on the severity.)
Old 07-11-2016, 12:44 PM
Dokebi1221
Instructor

Thanks Shawn for your wisdom.

When I first looked at this car, I asked them to make it CPO and they said they will. Couple days later, they said they can't make it CPO because Porsche wants them to replace the whole front bumper to make it CPO, because there is little damage in the bottom. It will cost them a lot to replace the whole front bumper to just make it CPO. If I paid for the front bumper, they said they will make it CPO or they said everything else is CPO qualified except the front bumper and told me they will give me 3rd party warranty (Fidelity) that will cover same items as Porsche CPO.

So I went with the Fidelity route...
Old 07-11-2016, 12:50 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Dokebi1221

When I first looked at this car, I asked them to make it CPO and they said they will. Couple days later, they said they can't make it CPO because Porsche wants them to replace the whole front bumper to make it CPO, because there is little damage in the bottom. It will cost them a lot to replace the whole front bumper to just make it CPO. If I paid for the front bumper, they said they will make it CPO or they said everything else is CPO qualified except the front bumper and told me they will give me 3rd party warranty (Fidelity) that will cover same items as Porsche CPO.

Yikes! Hope it works out for you.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:47 PM
Dokebi1221
Instructor

Something like this, what kind of attorney should I look for?
Old 07-11-2016, 01:58 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,916 Likes on 1,728 Posts

After hearing this, I'm going with this Dealer is shady and knew about the accident. Dealers know everything. Out this Dealer! Us members need to know who did this to you.

On anther note, you may not have grounds to recoup any losses. Here is why:

Non CPO car
Nothing in writing stating that the car wasn't in an accident
You normally buy a used car on an "AS IS" basis.

I hate to say it but these guys took you for a ride. On top of selling you a post accident car, they then uphold you on a 3rd party warranty.

I'm pissed for you, but honestly I don't think you have any recourse. Members, please prove me wrong.
Old 07-11-2016, 02:00 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Really quick question, you state that the car had a clean Carfax several times. did you actually see the Carfax or did the dealer tell you that it had a clean carfax?
Old 07-11-2016, 02:05 PM
Dokebi1221
Instructor

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
Really quick question, you state that the car had a clean Carfax several times. did you actually see the Carfax or did the dealer tell you that it had a clean carfax?
The dealer showed me the Carfax. Which then, had no accident reported...
Old 07-11-2016, 02:17 PM
Dokebi1221
Instructor

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
Non CPO car
Nothing in writing stating that the car wasn't in an accident
You normally buy a used car on an "AS IS" basis.
I have a feeling you might be right also. I'm trying to find out one of those free advice from attorney online...Something like this, can I complain it to Porsche of USA? Will they do anything? Also, can I post it on web forums which dealership did this to me? Of course, that is when the dealership refuse to do anything...
Old 07-11-2016, 02:20 PM
blackbull
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The dealer showed me the Carfax. Which then, had no accident reported...
Because they knew it had not been updated yet....
Old 07-11-2016, 02:51 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 845 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by blackbull
Because they knew it had not been updated yet....
Very likely, yes.
Old 07-11-2016, 02:56 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I have a feeling you might be right also. I'm trying to find out one of those free advice from attorney online...Something like this, can I complain it to Porsche of USA? Will they do anything? Also, can I post it on web forums which dealership did this to me? Of course, that is when the dealership refuse to do anything...
You can also open a complaint with the BBB against the dealership. Going this route I was able to get at least partial resolution to an issue I was having over a misrepresentation issue. There's certainly no downside if you've exhausted all other avenues.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:19 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Let us know the dealer's name. Also post up the salesman's name.

Quick Reply: Porsche dealer scammed me! Need an advice!