Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Porsche Cayenne Clicking

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 07:03 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How many dealerships are in your area? I would try them all you don't have to take it where purchased. Although it sounds like Porsche is playing coy because they know this is an issue and it may not be easily resolved. Kind of like the buffeting issue with big gm suvs that some ppl have been complaining about where weird acoustic effects are produced will driving and GM doesn't know how to fix them.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:53 PM
JOZO200
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it makes you feel any better, my 16 GTS makes a similar noise.

I only hear it at low speeds (5kph) and mainly when im going through a drive-through or underground car park.

I describe it as a sound like a a metal cable getting stretched. (sort of like the noise a handbrake makes when stretched)

I had it to the dealer last week and they assured me it as normal as well. (They we aware of the noise on other Porsche cars.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:57 PM
PorscheDude71
Track Day

Originally Posted by JOZO200
If it makes you feel any better, my 16 GTS makes a similar noise.

I only hear it at low speeds (5kph) and mainly when im going through a drive-through or underground car park.

I describe it as a sound like a a metal cable getting stretched. (sort of like the noise a handbrake makes when stretched)

I had it to the dealer last week and they assured me it as normal as well. (They we aware of the noise on other Porsche cars.
Mannnnn, I mean, NO, it doesn't make me fee better!! So basically, 2016 is cursed? If I had bought last year, I'd have been FINE?!?? Mannnnnnn.....
Old 01-26-2016, 05:32 PM
JOZO200
Track Day

Originally Posted by PorscheDude71
Mannnnn, I mean, NO, it doesn't make me fee better!! So basically, 2016 is cursed? If I had bought last year, I'd have been FINE?!?? Mannnnnnn.....
But you are stressing over something that could be totally normal on the new models.

I do not have an issue personally with the noise, as i can only hear it when driving in the garage and even then, does not seem to affect the car and the way it performs.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:58 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by JOZO200
But you are stressing over something that could be totally normal on the new models.

I do not have an issue personally with the noise, as i can only hear it when driving in the garage and even then, does not seem to affect the car and the way it performs.
Where is the line when we should say no-way? If every 2016 cayenne had exhaust pipes that rattled against the chassis should we be okay with that since they all do it? Or if they had belts that squealed like a '90s ford in disrepair, would that be okay too?

I get where the OP is coming from.. It sounds terrible and only people 'in the know' will accept it as normal. Everyone else is going to assume it broken.
Old 01-26-2016, 07:28 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If i buy a used luxury car that has lost 75% of its value I can easily live with some creaks and noises even if I dont like them. However, if you are paying real money for a new car it should be flawless. When I bought an x3 back in 07 (which i really liked in general) it had some trim rattles that drove me nuts. BMW was very accommodating, though, and worked on the dash until the problem was erased. I fail to see how your noises constitute acceptable normalcy for an expensive luxury vehicle. Those noises shouldn't be made by ANY new car let alone a porsche.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:10 PM
PorscheDude71
Track Day

Originally Posted by endless_corners
If i buy a used luxury car that has lost 75% of its value I can easily live with some creaks and noises even if I dont like them. However, if you are paying real money for a new car it should be flawless. When I bought an x3 back in 07 (which i really liked in general) it had some trim rattles that drove me nuts. BMW was very accommodating, though, and worked on the dash until the problem was erased. I fail to see how your noises constitute acceptable normalcy for an expensive luxury vehicle. Those noises shouldn't be made by ANY new car let alone a porsche.
THANK YOU!!! Right???
Old 01-26-2016, 09:52 PM
TD Pcar
Advanced

Westlake Rusnak is a PITA. That is a very affluent area with people practically lined up to buy their inventory (I know the area well) - they will blow you off and it won't hurt their business a lick - I'd find another dealer who will actually care. I bought my CS in Florida before I moved to Texas yet the dealer in San Antonio bends over backwards to solve warranty covered issues with ZERO pushback.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:55 PM
PorscheDude71
Track Day

Originally Posted by TD Pcar
Westlake Rusnak is a PITA. That is a very affluent area with people practically lined up to buy their inventory (I know the area well) - they will blow you off and it won't hurt their business a lick - I'd find another dealer who will actually care. I bought my CS in Florida before I moved to Texas yet the dealer in San Antonio bends over backwards to solve warranty covered issues with ZERO pushback.
You are correct. They've already blown me off.

There are roughly four dealerships in the area. I'm already dealing with another one and they are at least TRYING to help me get it fixed. But, yeah, Rusnak Westlake..... I got the shaft, pun not intended.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:08 PM
PorscheDude71
Track Day

So, final word from second dealership... is that this is "normal." I can't believe it. It sounds SO horrible. It literally sounds like I'm driving a Hupty. No one wants to address it. Because it doesn't appear to be a mechanical issue, two Porsche dealerships AND Porsche corporate are saying its normal, and THAT is THAT. So, yeah, that's how my story ends.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:25 PM
rbaron
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I may have missed this in the thread: above what speed do you no longer hear the noise you refer to?
Old 02-06-2016, 02:34 PM
PorscheDude71
Track Day

Originally Posted by rbaron
I may have missed this in the thread: above what speed do you no longer hear the noise you refer to?
Good question, not yet discussed. I would say above 15 mph.... possibly 10 mph. Whatever it is, it's fairly slow when it occurs. Why do you ask?
Old 02-06-2016, 03:53 PM
rbaron
Racer

Good question, not yet discussed. I would say above 15 mph.... possibly 10 mph. Whatever it is, it's fairly slow when it occurs. Why do you ask?
I'm just curious.

Next question: When you have been driving for a while and everything is up to normal operating temperature and you stop at a stop sign or traffic light, does the sound reappear as you slow to a stop and also become audible again as you speed up to where it is no longer audible?
Old 02-10-2016, 08:29 PM
PorscheDude71
Track Day

Originally Posted by rbaron
I'm just curious.

Next question: When you have been driving for a while and everything is up to normal operating temperature and you stop at a stop sign or traffic light, does the sound reappear as you slow to a stop and also become audible again as you speed up to where it is no longer audible?
Please forgive my lag! If you're asking me if the sound is similar to brake pads indicator warning sounds, I'd say no. It occurs at low speed, regardless of temperature, culminating when I shift the car into park. You can literally hear the sound right up to and through the point I am parking. Oddly, it prefers to occur on hills. Can't explain that one. Is there NO ONE else with a 2016 that can comment? It can't possibly JUST be me, right?!? Much thanks!!!
Old 02-10-2016, 08:34 PM
rbaron
Racer

Please forgive my lag! If you're asking me if the sound is similar to brake pads indicator warning sounds, I'd say no. It occurs at low speed, regardless of temperature, culminating when I shift the car into park. You can literally hear the sound right up to and through the point I am parking. Oddly, it prefers to occur on hills. Can't explain that one. Is there NO ONE else with a 2016 that can comment? It can't possibly JUST be me, right?!? Much thanks!!!
I was just wondering if you were hearing the expansion noises made by various under the car items warming up as the car settles into operating mode.

From what you say I gather not.

--Bob

Quick Reply: Porsche Cayenne Clicking