2011 Cayenne daytime running lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 08:50 AM
jjf701
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Cayenne daytime running lights

Hi all.

I took my 2011 Cayenne to my OPC yesterday as i'm convinced that the daytime running lights are faulty. May be that i'm going mad but when I see other Cayenne's in daylight, you can clearly see the running lights are on. With mine in daylight it's very hard to tell if they are on. I seem to remember pulling up behind cars and seeing the lights in the reflection. Can't see them now. If you look really closely, it looks like there's a little bit of light at the ends, but that's it.

They are turned on via the computer, everything is as they should be. The dealer is saying that they are fine. But it's so hard to tell if they are on, kind of makes the fact that they are "Daytime running lights" pointless.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Attached Images   
Old 05-20-2014, 09:06 AM
jjf701
4th Gear

Just to add. The OPC have just sent me their photos. 2 different cars in the workshop and you can clearly see they are on. The 3rd photo shows the 2 cars outside with the lights on, which you can't tell. I this how they are supposed to be?????
Attached Images    
Old 05-20-2014, 09:37 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Which model do you have? That's a TT/GTS bumper, but the headlights are wrong. Those models should have their DRLs in a ring around their low beam projectors. Is it different in your part of the world?

For what its worth, I did the TT bumper swap on my diesel and set up the signal bars to work as DRLs and they are very dim compared to what my factory DRLs were. But I assume that this is due to them just being parking lights. I don't use them anyway though as I'm against the idea (see too many people driving around at night with just the DRLs on thinking their lights are on).
Old 05-20-2014, 09:48 AM
jjf701
4th Gear

Hi
It's a diesel with the Techart turbo front. I always preferred the look of the turbo but couldn't justify the fuel in the UK so just wen't for the turbo look.
The DRL's are in the same place as every other 2011 model Cayenne I have seen. You just can't see them in the daylight! Like I said, defeats the object of daytime running lights.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:52 AM
jjf701
4th Gear

This was a couple of months ago, you could see the DRL's a bit more then.
Attached Images  
Old 05-20-2014, 11:12 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

What I'm telling you though is that those lights do not have a DRL function in them. It's a trick of the wiring to make the parking lights (which are dimmer) act like the DRLs.

If you look closely at the light bars you have now and what is in a normal base/diesel/S/Hybrid (diesel S too?) bumper you will see that they are different. Your old lights had a second row of LEDs which are the DRLs.

You pictures looks pretty much spot on with the output of mine since I did the bumper swap. You can see a pic of mine after I did the swap in post 11 of that thread. Also if you follow the schematic link in the first post, that thread also shows some post-swap hacked DRLs and there were a few comments (if I recall correctly) about them being less light than the original.

Based on my experience and the pics that you are showing, yours are acting normally.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:23 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like 08 lights
Old 05-20-2014, 10:15 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by jjf701
Hi
It's a diesel with the Techart turbo front. I always preferred the look of the turbo but couldn't justify the fuel in the UK so just wen't for the turbo look.
The DRL's are in the same place as every other 2011 model Cayenne I have seen. You just can't see them in the daylight! Like I said, defeats the object of daytime running lights.
Sorry, you are mistaken...

If you want the Turbo look, then you need the daytime running lamps which are in the headlight, not the strip.

Take a look at the model comparison.
The Turbo, Turbo S and GTS have the daytime running light in the headlamp.
That is different than the standard, S and diesel versions.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:48 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by BlazinPond
Sorry, you are mistaken...

If you want the Turbo look, then you need the daytime running lamps which are in the headlight, not the strip.
While technically correct, most people don't swap the headlights when they do the bumper swap because they are prohibitively expensive. I don't know the cost of the Turbo/GTS light housings, but when I replaced mine with the black version it was $2500 for the pair and I only did it because insurance was paying for it and I managed to find them for $400 cheaper than they paid out to replace the original non-black ones. The parts, labor, and paint (at least here in the states) costs less than what just the housings cost.

Because of that some good people figured out how to make an adaptation to the wiring harness to make the parking lights respond to the DRL settings (though they are dimmer as discussed in this thread).

Besides, it's the grill that is the appealing and recognizable part of the equation. Personally I think the DRLs in the headlights make them look bulky and aren't to my taste.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:53 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 178 Posts

While i agree the bumper on the GTS or Turbo is super pleasing to the eye, i'm a huge fan of the quad led's in the headlamp.
Bulky did not even cross my mind when comparing the two styles. Regardless, quad DRL LEDs are quite rare in my area.

Hyundai's and every other car made today have LED daytime running strips. It's not cool anymore imo.

The rare times i see quad LEDs in a passing car, it turns out to be a Turbo 911, Turbo Panamera and Cayenne GTS/Turbo's.
Ya, i'm a fan.
Old 07-17-2019, 02:27 AM
Husqvarna
1st Gear

Default Doubt of day time ligths

Dear friends, well I have the same problem, my car is a porsche cayenne 958 diesel version and few days ago I changed the original diesel bumper for the turbo version,
and the day time ligths not work, do you know What can I do to make the daytime lights work again? or maybe how can I do to swap or set up the signal bars to work as DRLs

Thank you so much for your help, I apreciatte this!!

Last edited by Husqvarna; 07-17-2019 at 02:48 AM.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:07 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 763 Posts

Moving this to the 958 forum. Somehow it was overlooked in the great splitup..

Quick Reply: 2011 Cayenne daytime running lights