Sponsored By:

Turning Wheels Causing Popping Noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 08:23 PM
WCP
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turning Wheels Causing Popping Noise

My front wheel was making a rattling noise for about the last week, and this morning as I drove out of my driveway and turned the wheel, I could hear a loud popping noise coming from my wheel whenever I turned. My best guess is that I drove over a pothole and the control arm / bushing moved out of place. Would this be covered under the OE warranty? Or should I take it to a mechanic?
Old 07-17-2019, 10:09 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 106 Posts

Popping noise when just turning the wheel, or while also rolling? If it's just while in place then you could be right about control arm bushings or tie-rod ends. Could possibly be the strut. Best bet would be give a listen to it up close while someone else turns the wheel. As for warranty, probably not. Suspension parts are wear items, even less likely if it was the result of road impact issues.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:55 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by wkearney99
Popping noise when just turning the wheel, or while also rolling? If it's just while in place then you could be right about control arm bushings or tie-rod ends. Could possibly be the strut. Best bet would be give a listen to it up close while someone else turns the wheel. As for warranty, probably not. Suspension parts are wear items, even less likely if it was the result of road impact issues.
Upper control arm, cant replace only the bushings, I just did mine.
Old 07-18-2019, 02:19 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

I'm having same issue. How did you diagnose the upper control arm?

thanks

Quick Reply: Turning Wheels Causing Popping Noise