Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

is clock in middle of top of dashboard standard?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 08:48 PM
kocsis
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 25 Posts
Default is clock in middle of top of dashboard standard?

I've searched this site and know that you can get a compass or sport chrono on the center of the shelf above the dashboard - but is the clock standard? The photos on the Porsche gallery interior shots don't show it. They show a smooth flat surface above the center dash
Old 12-13-2012, 09:03 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As of 2013 a stationary dash clock is standard.

An actual working one however ... that's another matter!
Old 12-13-2012, 09:52 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by steve_Cayenne
As of 2013 a stationary dash clock is standard.

An actual working one however ... that's another matter!
And the real irony is that I'm apparently the only one with a working one and I don't want it
Old 12-14-2012, 12:03 AM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Send it to me!!!

Apparently Porsche has summonsed all the greatest clockmakers of Germany to try and figure out a working design, while mine is still on indefinite back order!!! I think it is time they swallow their German pride, and ask the Swiss for some help!
Old 12-14-2012, 12:36 AM
AnchorRanch
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, it is standard for 2013 models.

And yes, it works at least for the loaner that I have been driving for last 12days.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:49 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,141 Likes on 464 Posts

I wonder what the problem is? I know it's a different clock, but my 3 other Porsches always had Chrono Sport with clock and all worked. I am waiting for replacement on my CD too!
Old 12-14-2012, 08:39 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Send it to me!!!

Apparently Porsche has summonsed all the greatest clockmakers of Germany to try and figure out a working design, while mine is still on indefinite back order!!! I think it is time they swallow their German pride, and ask the Swiss for some help!
I'm still trying to get an answer out of Porsche on if I can just drop in the compass module or not.

A not to be named or held to anything source told me yesterday that some bad clocks have just been replaced with the chrono package clock to make the customers happy. Doesn't sound like its an official policy though.

Trending Topics

Old 12-14-2012, 09:43 AM
blazing928
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not standard for Australian models
Old 12-14-2012, 09:50 AM
LaicepsYdobon
Intermediate

Like Steve mentioned; the clock is standard on 2013 cars but could be ordered with a compass instead for no extra cost. I have a 2013 Cayenne S built at the end of August delivered in the beginning of October and no issues with the clock. The ticking was a little loud in the beginning but I don't notice it anymore. For my next Cayenne I'll probably get the compass not because something is wrong with the clock but because I have a digital clock on the I.P. pretty much all the time and I never leave the house without a watch so I don't need one more source of time time in the car (not that I would use the compass either per say).

I did notice something interesting I've never had in any non-Porsche cars before. The clock goes to sleep after some time if the engine is off. If you leave your car for a while and peer through the window you will see that all the clock hands will be at the 12 o'clock position. When you open the door the clock wakes up and starts displaying the correct time again. I think this is done to conserve battery power. Just thought it was an interesting thing not sure how many people noticed it.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:40 AM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

not standard for Australian models
Yes, region specific. My dealer did explain to me it was "on again / off again" for Canada, until at the last moment it was decided to be standard equipment.

Much like the functionality of it (pun intended) !
Old 12-14-2012, 10:48 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by LaicepsYdobon
The ticking was a little loud in the beginning but I don't notice it anymore.
Lucky you. It drives me up the wall still. I tried disconnecting it, but my OCD goes nuts with a clock not working...

I did notice something interesting I've never had in any non-Porsche cars before. The clock goes to sleep after some time if the engine is off. If you leave your car for a while and peer through the window you will see that all the clock hands will be at the 12 o'clock position. When you open the door the clock wakes up and starts displaying the correct time again. I think this is done to conserve battery power. Just thought it was an interesting thing not sure how many people noticed it.
I haven't seen the entire clock stop, but after 10 minutes or so the seconds hand will stop (which is what makes the noise so if I could just kill it permanently...), but the hour and minutes hands kept advancing.

The interesting part I found is that if you unplug it for awhile when you plug it back in it won't automatically reset itself immediately. After a few minutes (without turning on the car), however, it will spin the needles a few times and set itself. Scared the crap out of me (was doing some other work in the car and figured I broke it, then all of a sudden it went nuts and set itself).
Old 12-14-2012, 10:49 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Much like the functionality of it (pun intended) !

I think someone is a bit bitter about their clock
Old 12-14-2012, 10:56 AM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

I think someone is a bit bitter about their clock
Damn right! Got the car in Aug, and have yet to have a working clock for more than a week or two till it dies again! Still waiting for warranty parts on backorder, with no ETA because of the massive demand for replacement clocks!

Then again (takes deep breaths) ... if anything had to go wrong, I guess I can live with it just being the clock!
Old 12-14-2012, 02:40 PM
AnchorRanch
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gnat
Lucky you. It drives me up the wall still. I tried disconnecting it, but my OCD goes nuts with a clock not working...

The interesting part I found is that if you unplug it for awhile when you plug it back in it won't automatically reset itself immediately. After a few minutes (without turning on the car), however, it will spin the needles a few times and set itself. Scared the crap out of me (was doing some other work in the car and figured I broke it, then all of a sudden it went nuts and set itself).
Indeed, that is funny

And it seems many of CLOCK do not work ,

all of those make me think that the engineer(s) who designed the clock might have thought too much : over-engineeringed. All of those fancy functionalities that the designer put there make the computer inside Cayenne confused.

Quick Reply: is clock in middle of top of dashboard standard?