Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

So Far, Anymore Hybrid Problems? How many miles have you got on your Cayennes?

Old 05-28-2011, 10:25 PM
preme123
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So Far, Anymore Hybrid Problems? How many miles have you got on your Cayennes?

So Far, Anymore Hybrid Problems? How many miles have you got on your Cayennes?

I'm taking delivery next month and seriously can't wait for it.

I have read in the 6speed forums and found that there's this serious problem about the hot air gushing, hybrid fail, etc. But Porsche sorted it out.

So I'm wondering if there are anybody who has any problems with the hybrids other than that?

How many Miles have you got on your Cayenne? Are there any problems arising......just yet? hahahaha. anybody going over 40000Miles? Any problems? Is the car still running great?

What are the important things that I have to take more care of with my cayenne? Since I'm expecting to be taking care of it 7+years Not sure if the hybrid will survive those years. Will the batteries stay tidy? The motors will stay fine?

thanks
Old 05-29-2011, 10:50 AM
PETER838
7th Gear

Default 2011 PORSCHE CAYENNE HYBRID SYSTEM PROBLEMS

Porsche haven't sorted anything out I'm taking them to court, I've had 2 Boxters, a 996 Turbo and 2 997's

The Hybrid will be the last Porsche I purchase.

Good luck with yours.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:32 AM
Preeble
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No issues with mine after 4000 miles (and 5 months). don't be surprised if your gas mileage is poor for the first 2000 miles or so - it starts freeing up after that.

However, as I have posted before, I'm not a fan of the hybrid and I think Porsche needs to make a few tweaks to how the battery motor and the gas engine work together. Also - the weather around me is just now getting warm and i'm observing some so it is possible that some of the other issues that others experienced will occur to me

interesting thing about the car is that since it is an audi engine, my hoard of 0w-40 oil is going to sit on the shelf for a while since it takes M1 5w-30 esp - this is the same oil that my merc diesel uses.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:23 PM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

9,000 miles and not a single problem with the hybrid system.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:36 PM
KAW
Track Day

9200 miles on my Cayenne Hybrid since Thanksgiving. Drives great, not a single problem. Been driving in 100+ Texas heat...AC is cold and fine. No overheating, no cabin issues. No oil consumption. Good gas mileage.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:27 PM
drrjv
2nd Gear

I just got a 2012 Porsche Cayenne Hybrid. Was driving it pretty hard down some back roads today today in 87 degree F heat and had a 'hybrid failure' message. The car operated sub optimally with some issues with automatic gearshifting (I was able to shift manually.) When I stopped, I got a 'generator failure' and the A/C stopped working. After parking for 15 minutes, it appears that everything is operational again (although now I have the engine light on.)
Old 07-12-2017, 03:45 PM
healthyspeed
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cayenne "fault hybrid system" yellow error

Hi everyone,

I have a 2012 Cayenne S Hybrid with less than 12,000 miles on it. However when I drive the vehicle hard for about 15min, a warning sign in yellow shows up on the dash "Fault Hybrid System". The car continues to run without the battery assist and the fault disappears after a cooling down period, mostly after restarting the vehicle after some minutes.

Anyone experience this? what is the resolution?

Thanks
Attached Images  
Old 07-12-2017, 04:53 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

You've attached this same question to at least 3 other hybrid threads. I think if anyone did have this issue they might have seen it by now.. or it might be that you're not posting it in the 958 subforum where it belongs. I've asked the moderators to move ALL the dead threads you've revived over there. I wouldn't expect them to actually get answers since the pattern seems to be a hybrid owner joins the forum to ask a question, then when they don't get an answer they go away. It seems almost all the posters in those threads have only made 2-3 posts. That means they aren't really active since the threads were started some time ago.

Good luck with your problem. I doubt if you'll get an answer - here or on any forum - since the hybrid stuff really takes the car out of DIY diagnostics/repairs. If you owned a diagnostics tool it's possible it might give you a clue as to what the car thinks is wrong. Doing something with that clue might be beyond most backyard mechanics, and I suspect you'll end up at the Porsche dealer.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:09 PM
EarthMuff
5th Gear

I just took mine in for the same warning. It is something electrical. Thankfully I have a 10 year warranty and the dealership is covering the cost!!!

Originally Posted by healthyspeed
Hi everyone,

I have a 2012 Cayenne S Hybrid with less than 12,000 miles on it. However when I drive the vehicle hard for about 15min, a warning sign in yellow shows up on the dash "Fault Hybrid System". The car continues to run without the battery assist and the fault disappears after a cooling down period, mostly after restarting the vehicle after some minutes.

Anyone experience this? what is the resolution?

Thanks
Old 10-31-2017, 03:51 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by EarthMuff
I just took mine in for the same warning. It is something electrical. Thankfully I have a 10 year warranty and the dealership is covering the cost!!!
Get specific repair info from them about it, and post back here. If only to help anyone else searching for similar hybrid issues.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:41 PM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

84,000 miles now since purchased new in 2011. It's been towing my enclosed aluminum trailer and race car all over the east coast every year. I've kept all of the service up to date, transmission service early since I tow, brakes, tires, oil etc.

One of the only (if not the only) issues I've had regarding the hybrid system was back in 2014 with when I had a hybrid system warning light come on and one time it went into limp mode. It was scanned at the dealer and the problem was high resistance in an E-power cable assembly. It is one of the orange cables in the rear that connects to the battery. I believe the part number was 958-612-008-01

Hope this helps.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:39 PM
EarthMuff
5th Gear

Default Hybrid Fault

Originally Posted by wkearney99
Get specific repair info from them about it, and post back here. If only to help anyone else searching for similar hybrid issues.
The problem ended up being a part that makes the car go from gas to electric. Had it not been under warranty, this was like a $7500 fix.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:21 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by EarthMuff
The problem ended up being a part that makes the car go from gas to electric. Had it not been under warranty, this was like a $7500 fix
Considering there isn't just one part that makes "the car go from gas to electric" it'd be great to hear a little more about the specific things replaced. Got a copy of the service order for it? Might help someone else down the line to know it was parts x, y and z.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:14 AM
chiapet15
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I think most of the issues with the hybrid system occurred on the 958.1. Am I right in saying it's because the battery and associated hybrid components weren't liquid cooled?

On the 958.2 (aka eHybrid, or plug-in hybrid), the battery chemistry is based on lithium instead of the NiMH that the 958.1 had. In addition, the liquid cooling of the battery and hybrid drivetrain should have improved reliability.

I have the 2016 eHybrid and currently have 27Kmi on it...no issues with the hybrid system even in hot stop and go traffic.
Old 09-16-2023, 11:56 AM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

I know this is an old thread but today is my last day with my 2011 Cayenne S Hybrid that I've owned since new. It has been amazingly reliable with 140,000 miles, winter driving in New England, and summer hauling my 22' enclosed trailer and 997 race car. The car never left me stranded once and had zero issues with the drivetrain. Some minor things, but all in all a fantastic car. I'm sad to see "Pepper" go, but I take delivery of a 2024 Cayenne S today.

The following 2 users liked this post by Blaine S:
lml999 (09-17-2023), will_atl (09-16-2023)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So Far, Anymore Hybrid Problems? How many miles have you got on your Cayennes?