Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2017 Cayenne S replaced transfer case under warranty. Keep Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2024, 05:43 PM
mhariush
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2017 Cayenne S replaced transfer case under warranty. Keep Warranty?

I traded in (barely) my 2008 957 for a a 38k mile 2017 Cayenne S at Long Beach Porsche and got the Platinum Warranty, 4 years or 48k miles. After driving it a few days I noticed that the car was a little rough in lower gears and it really felt like the transfer case, so I took it in and they confirmed it was the issue. Replaced under warranty. Just paid the $250 deductible on a $4,151.25 bill. Good thing I had that warranty...

Now, is it worth keeping the warranty for the duration of the car? I was told I could cancel at any time and be prorated the amount. I think the total cost for the warranty over 4 years is around 6k.

I know there's no way to know what could go wrong while having the car, but what else "typically" goes wrong that would be covered by warranty?

Last edited by mhariush; 07-23-2024 at 05:44 PM.
Old 07-23-2024, 08:50 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 284 Posts

We need pics of you new ride or it did not happen.

If it where me (10 years in the saddle of my 13 year old Cayenne S), I would keep the warranty.

Air springs, transfer case, weeping leak at the thermostat housing, coolant vent tube, water pump, thermostat, AOS, coil packs, high pressure fuel pump, vacuum pump all have a higher likelihood of failure over the next 4-6 years.
Old 07-23-2024, 09:10 PM
mhariush
Racer

Don't have air suspension so at least one less thing to worry about. Would all those failures be covered by warranty? That's not "wear and tear" type items? I don't drive a lot, less than 5k miles a year.

The following users liked this post:
anewman (07-27-2024)
Old 07-23-2024, 11:12 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 526 Likes on 384 Posts

I'm confused, you've received an extended warranty win for a preexisting condition to your purchase of the vehicle and warranty coverage, which in my option, falls on the dealership selling you a vehicle with a bad transferase... but now you want to cancel the extended warranty coverage? Because they paid for your repair? Everything @CAVU mentioned but the coil packswould be covered by warranty into the future. Besides, there are so many little things that can add up on this vehicle... seat motor, wheel bearing, door latch, window regulator, etc. and at approx. $300 an hour I think is the labor rate for that dealership.

Trenton O. Gibson
tgibson@highline-autos.com
Highline Autos
Direct: 602.909.9216
Office: 480.348.0777

Official RECARO Automotive Retailer: www.highline-autos.com/product-category/recaro/

Highline Autos Magazine - Volume XXI, Issue 03 https://bit.ly/3wTsNzM

Last edited by Highline-Autos.com; 07-24-2024 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-24-2024, 12:49 AM
mhariush
Racer

I am probably going to keep it, just new to having an actual factory warranty so not sure what it will actually cover. But so far it has been good.
Old 07-24-2024, 03:25 AM
sh06
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

As noted above, since the car exhibited transfer case issues from the purchase date or close to, I would have fought to have this taken care of by the dealership outside of the extended warranty. Since I drove this exact car before I bought mine, I had that exact conversation with Josh about the transfer case and if it were to be found faulty right after purchase, they (the dealership) would make it right.
Old 07-24-2024, 10:34 AM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Highline-Autos.com
Everything @CAVU mentioned but the coil packs would be covered by warranty into the future. ..
Trent,

Why would a failed/failing coil pack properly diagnosed not be covered under the Platinum Warranty?

After looking at its exclusions, now I wonder if Fidelity would consider airbags within their definition of shock absorbers (exclusion), even though they are not technically shock absorbers. Hmmmm?
Old 07-24-2024, 12:59 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by CAVU
Trent,

Why would a failed/failing coil pack properly diagnosed not be covered under the Platinum Warranty?

After looking at its exclusions, now I wonder if Fidelity would consider airbags within their definition of shock absorbers (exclusion), even though they are not technically shock absorbers. Hmmmm?
Porsche Platinum warranty is different than Fidelity Platinum warranty. If I remember correctly, coil packs being an exclusions on the Porsche Platinum with spark plugs. OP does not mention having a Fidelity Platinum warranty, but a Porsche Platinum Warranty.

Air suspension is covered under Fidelity Platinum coverage as it is a listed covered components under the lesser tier Gold Coverage.

Page 2 Paragraph 1:FRONT/REAR SUSPENSION: Upper and lower control arms, shafts and bushings; upper and lower ball joints; struts; wheel bearings/hubs; spindle/steering knuckle and spindle support; coil and leaf springs, seats and bushings, leaf spring shackles; track bars, links and bushings; electronic level control components including pump, accumulator, lines, bags; stabilizer bar, links and bushings; kingpin; torsion bar, mounts and bushings; tension rods/radius arm.

Trenton O. Gibson
Highline Autos
Old 07-24-2024, 01:03 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Highline-Autos.com
Porsche Platinum warranty is different than Fidelity Platinum warranty.
Got it. I had the Fidelity one stuck in my head. Did not know Porsche was using Platinum in their title too
Highline-Autos.com (07-24-2024)
Old 07-24-2024, 01:50 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by CAVU
Got it. I had the Fidelity one stuck in my head. Did not know Porsche was using Platinum in their title too
Yeah it is a Safe Guard 3rd party warranty branded as "Porsche Platinum"... I guess warranty companies do not get too creative with their coverage names these days lol.

Trenton O. Gibson
Highline Autos
Old 07-24-2024, 05:14 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 467 Likes on 311 Posts

Don’t most extended warranties refund your price minus any claims they have paid out? I can’t imagine they are coughing up $4k and then letting you cancel for a full refund, or even prorated, without subtracting that claim.
Old 07-24-2024, 05:17 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by leftlane
Don’t most extended warranties refund your price minus any claims they have paid out? I can’t imagine they are coughing up $4k and then letting you cancel for a full refund, or even prorated, without subtracting that claim.
Some do, some don't.

Trenton O. Gibson
Highline Autos
Old 07-25-2024, 08:14 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 467 Likes on 311 Posts

Didn’t know that - I’d love to have a warranty that paid my claims and still gave me a refund - sounds like a deal to me. 🤪
Highline-Autos.com (07-26-2024)

Quick Reply: 2017 Cayenne S replaced transfer case under warranty. Keep Warranty?