Sponsored By:

Transmission issue after ATF change 80k miles

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2024, 05:52 PM
Surf SD
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Transmission issue after ATF change 80k miles

Greetings, when my CS hit 80k miles I had the ATF fluid changed. Car had always shifted great prior to that. I only drive it on long trips, so there was about two weeks between the service and my first 400 mile trip. The drive up to Mammoth from San Diego went well, however the next morning the shifting was not right with some hard clunks into reverse and drive and at one point the transmission was stuck in 6th gear until I pulled over, stopped and manually put it into 1st. (all within 5 minutes of starting the car on a cold morning/15 degrees out). I didn't drive it the rest of my stay there and when I left I let it warm up longer than usual and used the manual shift until on the highway.
Called my Indie once home and told him I thought it was low on fluid. Took it in, they checked it out and said fluid level looks good. So I brought it home and parked on the street last night. This morning I went to pull it into the driveway and when I put it into reverse and another hard clunk into gear. This never happened prior to the ATF service.
So what now? Should I take it someplace else, as I don't have a lift and scanner to check it myself.
BTW, my Indie has worked on our cars for 35 years and this is a first for me not being happy after a service.

Last edited by Surf SD; 03-13-2024 at 05:55 PM.
Old 03-13-2024, 05:54 PM
Franko T
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 80 Posts

Did they use the right fluid? Get proof. This is why owners need to monitor work on their cars. Can't trust shops.
Old 03-13-2024, 06:37 PM
Surf SD
Instructor

Well, they are a Porsche/BMW shop, so I have to give them the benefit of the doubt on that one. I fully trust them, but something isn't the same anymore.
Old 03-13-2024, 07:10 PM
KBell
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 311 Posts

Agree.

Wrong viscosity of fluid.
Old 03-13-2024, 08:24 PM
white46
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Can you confirm how many QT or L of fluids went in?
Old 03-13-2024, 08:33 PM
YaNi
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

They should have reset the transmission adaptations with the fluid change. New vs 80k mile old fluid will have enough viscosity/lubricity/friction difference to cause rough shifting. It only takes a few minutes with a PIWIS or good scan tool.
Old 03-13-2024, 09:25 PM
Surf SD
Instructor

Originally Posted by white46
Can you confirm how many QT or L of fluids went in?
Originally Posted by YaNi
They should have reset the transmission adaptations with the fluid change. New vs 80k mile old fluid will have enough viscosity/lubricity/friction difference to cause rough shifting. It only takes a few minutes with a PIWIS or good scan tool.
All great info I had no idea about, so thank you. I will follow up with them in the morning and update this thread. Anyone know what fluid and viscosity should have been used?
Old 03-13-2024, 10:11 PM
ChrisTDI
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Agree with asking what fluid they used. Call the fluid manufacturer and find if its compatible.
Old 03-14-2024, 12:14 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by Surf SD
All great info I had no idea about, so thank you. I will follow up with them in the morning and update this thread. Anyone know what fluid and viscosity should have been used?
For the peanut gallery, please find out what fluid they used, and how much. It should be a WS type of fluid.

The solution should be to take it back and have them fix it. Maybe they forgot the filter sealing o-ring when changing the filter?? Or they removed the filter but left the original o-ring in place (which it tends to get stuck in the bore), and then installed the new filter with another o-ring, so now there are two o-rings, thus not letting it seat properly. It will require going back into it to rectify.

What shop is it? Does it start with a B? You can PM if you'd rather!
Old 03-14-2024, 11:38 AM
Surf SD
Instructor

I think I will just take it elsewhere, as the technician seemed offended I would suggest he didn't do the job correctly. Does not start with a B. I heard good thinks about Performance Porsche, so I will have them look at it.
Old 03-14-2024, 11:40 AM
ChrisTDI
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Highly recommend calling the next shop to ask them the exact fluid they plan on using in advance.
Old 03-14-2024, 11:53 AM
Surf SD
Instructor

Originally Posted by ChrisTDI
Highly recommend calling the next shop to ask them the exact fluid they plan on using in advance.
Good idea. The brand used by my normal Indie is Fuchs and a quick google search indicates that should be perfect. Any better suggestions and I will order it for the next shop to use.
Old 03-14-2024, 12:25 PM
Newegg
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by garrett376
For the peanut gallery, please find out what fluid they used, and how much. It should be a WS type of fluid.

The solution should be to take it back and have them fix it. Maybe they forgot the filter sealing o-ring when changing the filter?? Or they removed the filter but left the original o-ring in place (which it tends to get stuck in the bore), and then installed the new filter with another o-ring, so now there are two o-rings, thus not letting it seat properly. It will require going back into it to rectify.

What shop is it? Does it start with a B? You can PM if you'd rather!
This!!!
I messed up my o ring when I did my tranny service. Caused all sorts of problems that sound similar to yours.
Old 03-23-2024, 08:55 AM
Surf SD
Instructor

So an update. I found a shop willing to look at my CS besides the dealer. They thought per the symptoms the ATF was overfilled. Took about 16 ounces out, reset the transmission adaptations and now it works perfect.
The following 5 users liked this post by Surf SD:
CAVU (03-23-2024), chandanYOGI (06-17-2024), fourthirteen (03-28-2024), Franko T (03-23-2024), Mike Murphy (03-23-2024)

Quick Reply: Transmission issue after ATF change 80k miles