Sponsored By:

2014 Turbo S vs 2014 GTSs vs 2011 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2023, 11:30 PM
JMick
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2014 Turbo S vs 2014 GTSs vs 2011 Turbo

Trying to decide which of these 3 958.1’s I think I want to go with. All prices are within a few thousand of each other, looking to get someone’s 2 cents, or if I need to revise my choices.

2014 Turbo S- 170xxx miles, Burmester, had front bumper and headlight replaced in accident. Not as detailed of service reports as the next two below. Car in good condition

2011 Turbo- 120xxx miles, Burmester, aftermarket Bose head unit, no accidents, alcantara, very good and detailed service history. Car in good condition(Also curious if anyone knows if that after market head unit would affect the Burmester for the better or worse?)

2014 GTS- 140xxx miles, Bose speakers, full panoramic sunroof. Front bumper replaced to deer. Detailed and good service record. Car in good condition.

If it matters-
Im not a huge interior guy, they’re all the same to me, I do like my music however.
I know how to turn a wrench and not afraid to do so.
Car will be a DD for the next year or two.

Should I even mess with that Turbo S or am I just telling myself I need that extra 50 horse?

I’ve read Burmester is a SLIGHT notch above the Bose. Can anyone attest to this?

The following users liked this post:
ceeul8r (11-15-2023)
Old 11-15-2023, 01:53 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 628 Likes on 482 Posts

Here's 1 or 2 cents:
Have you drive these Cayennes yet? The GTS will feel slow compared to the Turbos: the GTS looks fast; the Turbos are fast. The Turbo S looks fast, and is fast. If they are light colored, the TurboS and GTS have a bloated appearance due to the body kit trim.

Burmester is definitely better than Bose especially at high volume; they didn't bill it as a $9,000 option for nothing!

In general, these are all very high mile 958s; unless you know the owners were meticulous and fixed very potential issue over time, you better be prepared to fix a lot of things if you get one that is letting go of parts en masse: the more options, the more potential fixing you'll need to do. And the less attentive the prior owner, the more you get to pay to repair. And if labor is not solely by you, it will get expensive, and potentially less enjoyable overall, really fast.
Old 11-15-2023, 12:35 PM
ceeul8r
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I just picked up a 2013 GTS in May for $26K and 94K miles. MSRP WAS $108K. Good records from the previous 2 owners. No record of transfer case being replaced so I went ahead and did both diff’s, tranny and transfer case service. Also decided to change all brakes & rotors. I did all the repairs in my Indy’s shop (with a little help) and still spent $1800. Both the interior and exterior are immaculate. Runs great and is a definite looker (black on black). Coming from a 2016 Touareg (which I’m keeping), the Touareg is actually more comfortable. Little things like folding mirrors automatically and auto cruise control weren’t optioned in the Cayenne. Certainly the power bump is noticeable, especially in sport mode. It’s great getting on freeways and great for passing the idiots who insist on driving 65MPH in the fast lane. But to be fair, I can’t see needing another 100HP+ from the turbo. The times you’ll use it won’t be as often as you may think. There was (and still is) a 2014 turbo for sale at the same time I was looking. Asking $35K with 97K miles with a huge MSRP ($165K). But it was filthy and had no service records. Overall, it’s an absolute blast to drive, handles great, is comfortable and it’s the last of the naturally aspirated V8’s. Just be mindful .. gas is 13MPG, tires will be expensive as well as repairs. For grins, I got a quote on the work I did from Porsche … $3700 and a 7 week wait for an appointment.
Old 11-15-2023, 01:07 PM
JMick
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by ceeul8r
I just picked up a 2013 GTS in May for $26K and 94K miles. MSRP WAS $108K. Good records from the previous 2 owners. No record of transfer case being replaced so I went ahead and did both diff’s, tranny and transfer case service. Also decided to change all brakes & rotors. I did all the repairs in my Indy’s shop (with a little help) and still spent $1800. Both the interior and exterior are immaculate. Runs great and is a definite looker (black on black). Coming from a 2016 Touareg (which I’m keeping), the Touareg is actually more comfortable. Little things like folding mirrors automatically and auto cruise control weren’t optioned in the Cayenne. Certainly the power bump is noticeable, especially in sport mode. It’s great getting on freeways and great for passing the idiots who insist on driving 65MPH in the fast lane. But to be fair, I can’t see needing another 100HP+ from the turbo. The times you’ll use it won’t be as often as you may think. There was (and still is) a 2014 turbo for sale at the same time I was looking. Asking $35K with 97K miles with a huge MSRP ($165K). But it was filthy and had no service records. Overall, it’s an absolute blast to drive, handles great, is comfortable and it’s the last of the naturally aspirated V8’s. Just be mindful .. gas is 13MPG, tires will be expensive as well as repairs. For grins, I got a quote on the work I did from Porsche … $3700 and a 7 week wait for an appointment.
Thanks for the info. Anyway I end up going, I will switch all fluids at a minimum and brakes depending on condition. I’m coming from a 2010 5.7L Toyota tundra on 40s, even at 13MPG that’ll be 2 or even 3 times better than my current fuel consumption(not that I’m getting in one of these to save fuel, but it’s noted). Are there any interior options you didn’t think you’d care much about but ended up liking? Or any you hated?

Made my appt to give both the Turbo and GTS a drive, if I don’t care for the extra power from the turbo, odds are it’s looking like I’m going to pull the trigger on the GTS. Thanks for the intel.
ceeul8r (11-16-2023)
Old 11-16-2023, 12:28 PM
ceeul8r
Intermediate

The only feature I really miss is the Adaptive Cruise Control. We travel between Boise & Salt Lake a lot. I set it at 80 when we leave and don’t touch it til we arrive. Love that 😊. With the V8, you’ll only have about 350 miles of range. I’d guess the turbo would be similar. Surprisingly, the cooled seat feature works much better in the Cayenne than the Touareg. A factory hitch is a bonus. There’s good aftermarket options and most are DIY but it’s just another thing to buy, do and set up through the computer. My Touareg has window shades but not the Cayenne. Not a deal breaker but a nice feature. I think those were pretty much standard in the turbo’s. Check tire pricing. You could easily spend upwards of $1500 if they’re needed right away. My Cayenne had the rear entertainment package. I honestly didn’t pay much attention to that but my 7 year old granddaughter (lives with me) insists on the “black” car whenever we go anywhere. The 4-way A/C (rear has controls) is much better than the standard. You have to fiddle around a lot up front to get the rear passengers comfortable and then the front isn’t so great. Without question, going from a Tundra w/ 40’s to any Cayenne is going to be fun. Keep me updated and send pic’s.
Old 11-16-2023, 01:20 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 3,008 Likes on 1,782 Posts

If you drive the turbo and the then the GTS, or the other way around, you won't be buying the GTS. That's for sure. Keep looking for a lower mile turbo unless they priced under $25,000. There are a lot or turbos out there and if it was my buy, I would stretch the budget and get a lower mile example. The repairs on these cars add up quick.

Keep in mind that a lot of stuff goes out on these cars between 80,000 and 100,000 miles. Once fixed they should go for another 80k miles. You need service records or receipts for cars of this mileage.

I can list everything on my car that has been replaced but it would scare you off.

Last edited by RAudi Driver; 11-18-2023 at 10:35 PM.
ceeul8r (11-16-2023)
Old 11-18-2023, 02:25 PM
TNelson
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ceeul8r
Just be mindful .. gas is 13MPG
Really? I've been seeing 18+ on my 2014 GTS, with a pretty even split between city and highway driving. Maybe I'm not using Sport mode enough...
ceeul8r (11-18-2023)
Old 11-18-2023, 02:41 PM
ceeul8r
Intermediate

Wow! That’s excellent. My last 3 tanks were all 13/14. Yes, probably 50% sport mode but still …
Old 11-18-2023, 07:32 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 476 Likes on 317 Posts

I get around 20 mpg on my 14 GTS and I’m a lead foot. What is the general price ballpark you are looking in right now? Curious because I have 150k miles and wonder what pricing would be.
Old 11-19-2023, 04:17 PM
JMick
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by leftlane
I get around 20 mpg on my 14 GTS and I’m a lead foot. What is the general price ballpark you are looking in right now? Curious because I have 150k miles and wonder what pricing would be.
Looking to spend around 20. I’ve been watching car gurus for several months now and depending on what the car is optioned out with, you’d be right there at 16-18 or less I believe.

here’s a link to a 2014 GTS with 118k that is highly optioned going for 20. If your looking to get rid of yours let me know!!!

https://www.signatureautoenterprises...g-il/83229075/
Old 11-19-2023, 05:07 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 476 Likes on 317 Posts

Thanks - I would consider selling mine but my general problem is that it’s worth $40k to me (and not to anybody else). 😜 It’s been the best car I’ve owned and plan on keeping for the long run unless someone makes me a drunken offer.
Old 11-19-2023, 06:06 PM
TNelson
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JMick
Looking to spend around 20. I’ve been watching car gurus for several months now and depending on what the car is optioned out with, you’d be right there at 16-18 or less I believe.
Good luck! FWIW, I paid just under 30 for mine, but I think that's just the market where I am (mid-Atlantic region). I looked at several GTSs and all were 28-34. Mine's not too heavily optioned, but it had under 80K on the odo.

Quick Reply: 2014 Turbo S vs 2014 GTSs vs 2011 Turbo