Sponsored By:

CA smog failed as "tamper" due to incorrect emissions sticker for CTT

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2023, 05:40 PM
forbiddenbeat
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 129 Posts
Default CA smog failed as "tamper" due to incorrect emissions sticker for CTT

Hey folks, so this is a weird one. I finally found time to get the out-of-state '14 Cayenne Turbo I purchased two months back in for California VIN verification and smog. The smog tech said the car passed the test, but they have to fail it as "tampered" because while the car is clearly a Turbo in every way, the abbreviations on the emissions sticker do not include the code for turbocharged (I believe the TWC/HO2S/SIDI codes should also have 2TC). Since those codes aren't there, they have to fail the test since the car does in fact have turbos. They'd never seen this problem before. They called the dealership, who stated as replacement sticker is backordered for a long time. They suggested I call the smog referred and they will fix this for me, but has anyone ever heard of this?

Edit: just found this image from a 2013 CTT that was for sale as a dealership, and it appears to have the same codes. Now I'm wondering if the smog techs are missing something here.

Last edited by forbiddenbeat; 05-03-2023 at 05:43 PM.
Old 05-03-2023, 05:47 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 3,008 Likes on 1,782 Posts

Sounds like smog techs who think they are smarter than they really are.
The following 2 users liked this post by RAudi Driver:
Needsdecaf (05-04-2023), Toreador (05-03-2023)
Old 05-03-2023, 07:54 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 628 Likes on 482 Posts

Just go to a different station. There is no different sticker. It's not tampered with.
Old 05-03-2023, 08:00 PM
forbiddenbeat
Rennlist Member

Yep, just tried a different station and they said it was fine since the spec says it’s a turbo. Doh. Well, good news I guess.
Old 05-03-2023, 08:28 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 3,008 Likes on 1,782 Posts

Now go back and get your cash back from those numbskulls.
Old 05-03-2023, 11:05 PM
forbiddenbeat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
Now go back and get your cash back from those numbskulls.
Ha, seriously. Luckily they didn't charge me. I'll still give them a call just so they know in the future.
Old 05-04-2023, 11:13 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,622 Likes on 1,630 Posts

This is some seriously stupid BS.

Meanwhile, here in Tejas, Diesels don't require an emissions inspection, just safety. So I can roll up with a straight pipe right off the header and pass.
Old 05-04-2023, 12:59 PM
reneeweiss
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Here in Ca you need a smog inspection and need to pass but no inspection of brakes, tires, lights etc. so you could pull in with no brakes and be fine.
Old 05-04-2023, 02:22 PM
forbiddenbeat
Rennlist Member

Yeah, pretty dumb, although it is kind of odd that Porsche opted not to list turbos in the emission label (yes, it's clearly in the name, but it's also in the name for Taycans now and people are dumb).
Old 05-04-2023, 02:26 PM
forbiddenbeat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by reneeweiss
Here in Ca you need a smog inspection and need to pass but no inspection of brakes, tires, lights etc. so you could pull in with no brakes and be fine.
They've removed the need to sniff test for OBDII cars now too and just look for readiness. Which is faster and more convenient, but also opens the door for playing with emissions as long as a tune can override any CELs that would be thrown.

I'm all for lowering emissions, but yeah, the whole system is pretty backwards. What they should be doing is sniff testing, and if emissions are fine, not do any visual inspection. Who cares if you have bigger turbos, intakes, and what not, as long as emissions are passable.
Old 05-05-2023, 09:01 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by forbiddenbeat
Who cares if you have bigger turbos, intakes, and what not, as long as emissions are passable.
I hear ya, and agree on the level of emissions being the key. The trouble is the lengths to which some will go to cheat the tests.
Old 05-05-2023, 09:02 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by forbiddenbeat
Yeah, pretty dumb, although it is kind of odd that Porsche opted not to list turbos in the emission label (yes, it's clearly in the name, but it's also in the name for Taycans now and people are dumb).
And no doubt somewhere a DMV drone is going to list an EV incorrectly and have the owner get notices for testing.
Old 05-05-2023, 10:48 PM
smwalker
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's an interesting one. Inspectors do have to consult that label to see what items they have to check for. And extra stuff on the car that is not on the label might indicate an engine change so that is a justified fail. But they could have gone the extra step and checked thier emissions book and I bet TC is listed in there for this car. Maybe worth it just to remove the label entirely so they are forced to check the emissions book. Because the rule states this:

Underhood Emission Control Label: Each vehicle’s underhood emission control label serves as the primary source for emissions control requirements and to indicate the vehicle’s certification type (California and Federal). It is important to review emission control components on this label, since emission control system technology changes and varies between vehicle manufacturers. A missing or illegible emission control label does not constitute an inspection failure. In cases where the emission control label is missing or illegible, the inspector may proceed with the inspection provided that the required emission controls can be determined using other sources as described in section 1.3.1.

1.3.1 Visual Inspection Procedures Vehicle Emission Control Requirements: Inspectors must use all available information necessary to determine the vehicle’s emission control requirements, including but not limited to:
• the underhood emission control label (see section 1.3.2);
• a current emission control application guide;
• emission control repair manuals;
• emission component location guides;
• manufacturer emission control recalls;
• vacuum hose routing diagrams;
• California Air Resources Board (CARB) aftermarket parts listings;
• the aftermarket part label (see section 1.3.2);
• and any reliable vehicle manufacturer sources

Old 05-06-2023, 12:27 PM
forbiddenbeat
Rennlist Member

Thanks, yeah, the first smog techs were basically just lazy/uninformed. The second place I took it got out the manual, saw it was a 4.8t, and moved on. They said the first place wasn't doing their job properly. *eye roll*

Quick Reply: CA smog failed as "tamper" due to incorrect emissions sticker for CTT