2013 CD - Seeking Dieselgate warranty details/advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2023, 07:46 PM
randerson22
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2013 CD - Seeking Dieselgate warranty details/advice

Hi All,

We have a 2013 Cayenne Diese with 108K, and have just recently had two major issues that I am HOPING are covered by the diesel gate specific extended warranty. Might someone have a contact and some advice as to how to approach this situation with Porsche of America

1) I am a PCA member, we have two Porsches, I have owned 3 in my history.
2) One of the issues is an oil leak showing up at the bell housing. We have not yet had this diagnosed, but I have done some research and found that the sealant-style gaskets they used in various connection points have been known to fail, and that since the Diesel Gate warranty covers the long block, this might be something covered by PoA. Fingers crossed.
3) the other issue just happened, the high-pressure fuel pump failed and shat metal fragments through the injectors, lines, etc. Essentially everything in that fuel delivery system will need to be replaced.

Both of these issues (assuming the oil leak is what I think) are going to be astronomical in cost, so we are praying this is covered by the Diesel Gate warranty.

AA) any advice as to how to approach PofA warranty contact would be appreciated. while the first 108K have been trouble-free, we are seriously concerned about what might be next. Obviously, we are looking at either Porsche fixing these and giving the car back and we figure out what to do, or the car will have to be sold as is at a tremendous financial hit to us.
BB) any specific contacts within Porsche warranty department greatly appreciated.

We are beyond disappointed. We bought this car for retirement travel, and to tow my car to track days, pull a trailer, etc. These dreams will not be met with this car, I don't think we would be able to comfortably entrust this car will get us there moving forward.

Thanks to all in advance
Robert Anderson

Last edited by randerson22; 04-24-2023 at 07:48 PM.
Old 04-24-2023, 08:45 PM
KBell
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 473 Likes on 315 Posts

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Dieselgate warranty is 120,000 miles or 10 years from inservice date.
OR
4 years and 77,000 from the "fix"

It sounds like you will be ok.
But, call any Beaverton Porsche in Beaverton, Oregon. Give them your VIN. Cross fingers

Good luck. Keep us up to date.
Old 04-25-2023, 12:16 PM
lightemup67
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Wow, so sorry to hear about that, especially the fuel pump. That's a brutal thing to happen.

Both sound like they should be covered. Definitely run your VIN before you start having conversations with your dealer so you're armed with the info. Don't trust them to pursue it on their own.
Old 04-25-2023, 12:31 PM
reneeweiss
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Some reports on this site have indicated some dealers have balked at honoring diesel gate warranty. Seems like they don't get paid as much as when they do out of pocket customer repairs. Haven't seen anything about fuel pump explosion on this site hope it is just an anomaly. Good luck getting it fixed.
Old 04-25-2023, 01:07 PM
randerson22
Intermediate

Thanks for the advice, all. I called PofA and started a case, I downloaded all the Diesel Gate coverages, and am now waiting to hear back from them. I am also getting it towed to Sunset (dealer), so am hitting it from both angles. I know the fuel pump and system is covered by the Diesel Gate warranty, that should be fairly straight-forward since the independent shop diagnosed it so I have an unbiased diagnosis for that (even though the dealer will have to diagnose themselves). The oil leak might be a fight, as I am sure someone will try to run from this responsibility. But since the warranty covers the long block, I am hoping this is also covered. I also pleaded that 1) I'm a long time PCA member 2) i have a modified Cayman S I track and 3) I've had other Porsches and been to the museum and factory 5 times, including in 1974 when my dad picked up a 911 Targe European delivery and 4) I'm off to Luft and Wassergukult this weekend with my son, a crazy Porsche fanatic. I'm hoping they want to keep me happy, as I am very disappointed with this car and the PITA issues it has had in the last 6 months. Prior to that, it was bulletproof.

When I pointed out that, together, these fixes could cost waaaaay more than the value of the car in working shape, the dealer said that PofA normally tries to fix and return the cars, no matter the cost to them. Fine, I am OK with that, we will be without a car for 2 months probably, but will have a loaner (eager to try something new!).

Old 04-25-2023, 01:10 PM
randerson22
Intermediate

Oh, and the build date of the car was May 3, 2013 and the car has 108K, so I'm hoping I am still under the warranty! Nothing like being in the nick of time.

SHOULD anyone have an inside sympatheic contact withing PofA they want to share, I'd appreciate it. I would not make this call UNLESS I encounter hurdles in this process.

Robert
Old 04-25-2023, 03:24 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,622 Likes on 1,630 Posts

The fuel pump ABSOLUTELY should be covered.

The leaking at the bellhousing? Maybe not. I would push as the warranty does cover the longblock, as you correctly point out.

I know you're in a place of severe annoyance right now, but honestly I wouldn't get too down on the long term future with the car.
Old 04-25-2023, 06:16 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by reneeweiss
Haven't seen anything about fuel pump explosion on this site hope it is just an anomaly. Good luck getting it fixed.
The fuel pump grenading is uncommon but not unheard of.

I asked my indie if he would replace it prophylactically; he declined indicating that it *is* uncommon, it's a PITA to replace and my Fidelity extended warranty *should* cover it if it does go.
Old 04-25-2023, 08:31 PM
reneeweiss
Rennlist Member

I think everything related to the engine and drive train is covered. I do know that POA knows about the oil leaks on the diesels. Mine is going in soon for oil leaks and I suspect one of them may be the rear main seal. I believe they have to drop the engine to get to the common leaks. My Mercury Milan, 6 cylinder had major leaks with about 45k miles and was not covered by the warranty and it cost a couple k to fix. I grew up and owned 356's. My family raced them. We traded a normal engine for a carrera that needed one center bearing for $19. from POA when they were in N.J. That engine ended up in a Karmin Ghia and was sold for about $1200. We had a 56, 58 convertible D, 55 speedster, 58 speedster, one with a Corvair motor. The last one I had was a 64 that I was going to restore but had no time so sold it. I think that one cost $8k. We were mentored by a German mechanic who knew Ferdinand Porsche. That was a long time ago and I wish I had one of those now to tool around in. They were pretty forgivable and dependable, never broke one racing and easy to work on.
Old 04-25-2023, 08:40 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Good luck with your claims. My experience is from two local dealers: The one I bought the CD insisted that dieselgate warranty won't cover unless it is related to emissions equipment. The second one wanted me to run a dye for 5000 miles to check the source of the leak. I ended up just having my indi do the work since he found it was a minor seal.

Unfortunately from my experience, it is no longer "we'll take care of it, no questions asked" like in the earlier days of dieselgate. I suspect at that time POA was under pressure to look like a repentant good citizen. This is no longer the case

Last edited by visitador; 04-25-2023 at 08:43 PM.
Old 04-25-2023, 09:18 PM
terryb
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

My 2014 CD had the rear main seal replaced under warranty. It was leaking from the bell housing. The dealer put a dye in the oil to help them trace the origin and asked me to drive for ~1k miles. I did this and they said that it was definitely the RMS leaking and is a covered repair. It's a motor out job. Here's a link to my thread if it will help you. https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...-question.html

Last edited by terryb; 04-25-2023 at 09:20 PM.
Old 04-25-2023, 11:23 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 628 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by reneeweiss
Haven't seen anything about fuel pump explosion on this site hope it is just an anomaly. Good luck getting it fixed.
Fuel pumps disintegrating is not all that uncommon; my friend's did it, and when he took it in, two others were there for the same problem!
Old 04-26-2023, 01:09 AM
randerson22
Intermediate

Well the guy in the service dept at the local dealer said that another CD came in a week ago with the same symptom (sputtering for a bit, followed by a die-out and coasting to a stop). As it turned out, it was the exact same thing: blown high pressure fuel pump and ****ting metal through the entire fuel system (less the tank). Attached is a picture of the fuel filter. Not sure why they didn't design better immediate downstream filtration in the event this happens to the pump, but then I guess that would restrict the flow in a high-pressure system. Still, this ain't going to be cheap. Will keep you posted.

Old 04-27-2023, 02:59 PM
ChrisTDI
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts

Terrible news, but sounds like coverage is highly probable.
Any chance you used an additive to the fuel? Something to add lubricity to the fuel? I know a lot of members suggest Power Service, or better yet Hot Shots diesel extreme. Suppose to keep the pump thats lubricated by fuel better protected.

Last edited by ChrisTDI; 04-27-2023 at 07:43 PM.
Old 04-27-2023, 04:34 PM
reneeweiss
Rennlist Member

What he didn't mention or compare is diesel fuel that has been conditioned by fuel manufacturers. I know that in Ca. unless you are in an area where it gets down to near freezing the manufactures (Chevron at least) does not add conditioner in the winter to prevent gelling. I left my car out once in Truckee where the temp was below freezing and it started and ran for 10 seconds. I realized what happened - gelled fuel. Once the temp got to about 35 in the sun it started and I bee lined to the local Truckee gas station and filled up. Now if I am going to the cold I use one of the conditioners that was mentioned on this site before. It is hard to believe that 4 ounces to 26 gallons is going to do much for lubricating or reducing friction. I tried to find out from Chevron and Costco which stations in winter provide diesel conditioner for diesel fuel- no real response! I assume the conditioner might take care of water in the fuel. My indy says he never sees water in the fuel filter. Thanks for sharing the video. I think so much of the additives in general might be snake oil but we still use them. One guy I know has had his diesel Toureg in -20 temps with no additives on his part and no problem. I suppose it depends where you live as far as how much if any anti gel the manufacture puts in during winter. I know in Ca. there is s summer and winter blend of gasoline- not sure what that is about.

Quick Reply: 2013 CD - Seeking Dieselgate warranty details/advice