Sponsored By:

Undercarriage noise over bumps like something is loose

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2023, 01:25 AM
Tim Matar
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Undercarriage noise over bumps like something is loose

2011 CS. ~140K klms, ~85k miles. Hi guys, what starts causing undercarriage noise going over bumps? I recently had the car off the road for 2 months while I found time to fix another Air suspension issue. As with the last repair I did on the suspension, I used quality parts and followed the factory service manual including replacing torque to yield bolts and torqueing them correctly. Either I didn't notice it before or my car has developed a lot of undercarriage noise. It appears to be coming from the left hand side (mainly front but possible also rear). It just sounds like bushes are lose allowing excessive movement and associated clunking over bumps. This only happens over bumps and corrugations. I recently had both front struts out and they are original and in good condition. The LHS upper control arm ball joint was a little on the loose side but no actual play. I inspected the other bushings including sway bar link and couldn't find any signs of failure. What is your experience with such noises in a Cayenne and what is the best way to narrow down the cause?

Thanks in advance,

Old 01-31-2023, 09:55 AM
Whitegalaxie
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts

I had a metallic clunk over bumps and especially on bumps mid corner when my front upper control arm ball joint was shot.
Old 02-01-2023, 08:54 AM
Tim Matar
Instructor

Originally Posted by Whitegalaxie
I had a metallic clunk over bumps and especially on bumps mid corner when my front upper control arm ball joint was shot.
Did you replace it yourself and if so was did the balljoint have up and down play (from within the boot) or just loose side to side?
Old 02-01-2023, 01:09 PM
AnAlbumCover
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 108 Posts

try jacking up that wheel and giving it a good shake in both directions (horizontally and vertically). If there's play then you know someone went bad, if not...probably something else.
Old 02-01-2023, 06:32 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,448 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by AnAlbumCover
try jacking up that wheel and giving it a good shake in both directions (horizontally and vertically). If there's play then you know someone went bad, if not...probably something else.
May work but my weak *** cant move much by shaking it. I find a good 3ft prybar can more easily identify play. I have a random clunk, ive narrowed it to a bad lower ball joint but im going to let it get worse before replacing it
Old 02-02-2023, 11:39 AM
Whitegalaxie
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim Matar
Did you replace it yourself and if so was did the balljoint have up and down play (from within the boot) or just loose side to side?
The dealer fixed it under CPO
Old 03-14-2023, 09:44 AM
Tim Matar
Instructor

I solved this one. I purchased new stabiliser bar mounts and end links to outrule them as most likely culprits. What I found was a lose bolt on one of the end links (clearly my fault, don’t ask how I missed that). I replaced parts with new anyway but to be honest they didn’t need replacing, mounts and links were totally fine but I will write it off as a preventative maintenance. Car feels and sounds great again.
Old 03-14-2023, 09:49 AM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim Matar
I solved this one. I purchased new stabiliser bar mounts and end links to outrule them as most likely culprits. What I found was a lose bolt on one of the end links (clearly my fault, don’t ask how I missed that). I replaced parts with new anyway but to be honest they didn’t need replacing, mounts and links were totally fine but I will write it off as a preventative maintenance. Car feels and sounds great again.
Interesting..... I'll have to check mine as I have that type of noise and i've replaced my sway links a while back. Although in my case I torqued them all down to spec. I'm leaning more toward worn struts on mine since the rattling is on every corner.

Quick Reply: Undercarriage noise over bumps like something is loose