Sponsored By:

14 GTS - all new brakes = new noises

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2023, 09:09 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 476 Likes on 317 Posts
Default 14 GTS - all new brakes = new noises

Had complete brake job recently - all rotors, pads, sensors. Aside from some annoying squeaking there is a very definite metallic pop when I take my foot off the brake and reverse, and then another one when I take my foot off the brake and drive forward. Seems to be at slow speeds only but can’t be just a coincidence - I never had these noises before this brake job. Noise only happens when I am on or off the brakes at slow speeds. Any idea what I should be looking for here?

FWIW I have been very happy with my indy so far - I took this back to them and they warranteed the pads and checked everything out but don’t see any problem. All OEM parts but it sure seems like something is either loose or installed wrong. Also, why is it that every single time I get my brakes done on any car I’ve ever owned, they squeal? Is that just bad luck?

TIA!
Old 01-04-2023, 09:15 PM
Whitegalaxie
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts

Brake pads are moving around in the calipers. I guess aftermarket parts are fitted. Are you certain Porsche parts are fitted?

Last edited by Whitegalaxie; 01-04-2023 at 09:16 PM.
Old 01-04-2023, 09:46 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Hmmm - I’m taking their word for it and I paid for OEM, and all the part #s on my invoice are Porsche part numbers. I would have no reason to believe otherwise. What causes the pads to move around? I see brake pad clips on the invoice, along with all the other parts. Would pads moving also be the cause of the squealing?
Old 01-04-2023, 09:54 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Actually, when I search the front pads by #, it pulls up as OEM for VW Touareg. That’s the only part # I see on my invoice that doesn’t start with 958 so maybe they aren’t the right size? What’s interesting is that the last time I had pads replaced, they used OEM Textar and they squealed like crazy, so when I took it back to check it out in they swapped pads under warranty - the ones they used are exactly the same as the pads they used now and I had zero issues or noises with the last set.

Last edited by leftlane; 01-04-2023 at 10:01 PM.
Old 01-04-2023, 10:23 PM
Whitegalaxie
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts

Some aftermarket pads have undersized backing plates and as you apply the brakes the whole pad moves forward just enough to cause a clacking noise as the backing plate hits the caliper or the caliper pin. If this is the case the noise will be pronounced when going from forward to reverse and forward again and applying the brakes in each direction. One UK made brand is famous for this issue. If you go to many websites you can see the OE part number next to pads that are not OE pads, I think it is just done for reference rather than deception. I am not saying this is the case here but worth checking with your mechanic.

Last edited by Whitegalaxie; 01-04-2023 at 10:26 PM.
Old 01-04-2023, 10:49 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Great info - thanks so much. I have a good relationship with my indy so I have no problem talking to him about this when they are back from the holiday time off.
Old 01-06-2023, 05:43 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

I like when people close the loop on stuff so here goes.

Went back to my indy yesterday to tell him about the noises and the suspected culprit. He had me leave it with him to figure out what was going on, and confirmed the pads were moving. He ordered new Porsche OEM pads to be overnighted, then called me this morning to tell me it was done and ready for pickup. Stellar service, just like always.

He did say the pads look exactly the same as far as size, but the hole for the caliper pin was slightly different. So far I’ve heard no noise at all, and also zero squealing. Hopefully this is the final fix - whitegalaxie, you nailed it.
The following users liked this post:
fourthirteen (02-26-2023)
Old 01-08-2023, 09:22 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by leftlane
I like when people close the loop on stuff so here goes.

Went back to my indy yesterday to tell him about the noises and the suspected culprit. He had me leave it with him to figure out what was going on, and confirmed the pads were moving. He ordered new Porsche OEM pads to be overnighted, then called me this morning to tell me it was done and ready for pickup. Stellar service, just like always.

He did say the pads look exactly the same as far as size, but the hole for the caliper pin was slightly different. So far I’ve heard no noise at all, and also zero squealing. Hopefully this is the final fix - whitegalaxie, you nailed it.
I love it, when your prepared for a fight… and an Indy steps up, fixes it. Instantly diffused. You chose the right person to give your repair money to.
I dropped off a case of beer to my Indy at Christmas. He’d had a tough day. You could hear his smile when I brought the Lowe’s bucket filled with ice and cold ones.

Last edited by BIG smoke; 01-08-2023 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-26-2023, 01:41 AM
rkw723
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Replaced the OEM brake pads on my 22 S with Powerstop carbon/ceramic. Z23-1349 (front) and Z23-1547 (rear). Cross-referenced the fronts (1349) from a Panamera having same 6 piston calipers and 360mm rotors. Rears are cross referenced from std single piston floating caliper found on other Porsche, Audi and VW.
I have the Z23 pads on various cars including a modded Cayman S and they all seem to last forever with no dust or noise.

Quick Reply: 14 GTS - all new brakes = new noises