Sponsored By:

Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2022, 09:56 PM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Oil Leak

I moved the Cayenne to change the oil and there were significant oil drips on the garage floor. Never had that happen in the past. This is a 2016 Cayenne base with about 85k miles. The oil looks to be coming from around the oil filter housing. The housing seemed tight when I removed it. Did not know what else to do, so replaced the O-ring and filter and the small center drain plug, and put it back in. I had about 6k or 7k miles on the oil before the change.

The last trip I took was taking the GT4 to a track event, about 5 hours away. I have a small, lightweight aluminum trailer, so the total load was not anywhere near the towing capacity limit. Most of my drive was on I-95, and I was going pretty fast (with traffic), cruising at or above 85 mph. The oil is Liqui Moly and meets Porsche specs.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Old 10-16-2022, 10:04 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 3,008 Likes on 1,782 Posts

When you went to retighten the small center drain plug did it recess into the cap more than what's showing in this picture?

I've never seen. cap like this so had to look it up and it appears to be a Genuine cap but the pictures on the internet show that center plug super recessed.

Old 10-16-2022, 10:10 PM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
When you went to retighten the small center drain plug did it recess into the cap more than what's showing in this picture?

I've never seen. cap like this so had to look it up and it appears to be a Genuine cap but the pictures on the internet show that center plug super recessed.
Hmm. No the drain plug looks the same (I believe). Funny you ask, though. I was looking closely at the plug, O-ring, and sealing surface on the housing before I put the new drain plug in.

I have changed the oil several times without replacing the drain plug and never had an issue until now.

I will drive it some and check it again. Now I am paranoid

Old 10-16-2022, 10:18 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Did you do your last oil change or did a shop do it?

Also that small filter cap drain plug also has a baby o ring on it. Did you see it when yo were working on it?

Last edited by RAudi Driver; 10-17-2022 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-17-2022, 01:24 AM
BrendonSF
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 67 Posts

That gasket and housing is likely quite sensitive to torque. Did you use a torque wrench? It actually states the torque spec on the housing, which is probably a pretty good indication that proper torque is important. I believe it was 25lbs or 25nm, can't remember which.
Old 10-17-2022, 07:13 AM
patpatpat
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you set the o ring in the right groove of the filter housing?
Old 10-17-2022, 09:33 AM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by patpatpat
Did you set the o ring in the right groove of the filter housing?
Good questions!

I did the last change.
Did not use a torque wrench, but, but, but I have a decent manual calibration on that. Okay, no excuse, especially when it's actually not a huge PITA to use the torque wrench. When I check it, I'll get the torque wrench on it. I see the irony here...guy posts about oil filter housing leaking and doesn't bother to torque it! Argh!
The O-ring I removed was in the groove fine, at least when I got the housing out. I assume it was fine when installed.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 10-17-2022, 12:15 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

What about the o ring in the drain bolt that screws onto the filter cap?
The following users liked this post:
aryork (10-17-2022)
Old 10-17-2022, 12:30 PM
aryork
Rennlist Member

What about the o ring in the drain bolt that screws onto the filter cap?
The one I took off looked good as did the new one.

Seeing the Audi in your screen name reminded me...I also changed the oil in our 2020 Q3 yesterday.

As an aside: this is the easiest vehicle for which to change oil I have ever owned. Filter is on top and easily accessible and changeable with ZERO oil spill. The drain plug is a quarter-turn type of plastic fitting with an O-ring.

Anyway, the drain fitting had some oil around it, which it had never had in the prior several changes I have done. It probably had a few drips every now and then, but I never got one in the garage. Also, I had never changed the drain plug even though I had a new one. Thus, I used the new drain plug this time and will be interested to see if it stays 100% sealed. Here is that fitting:

Old 10-17-2022, 01:50 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Ahh, so the baby oil filter cap bolt gets replaced during an ol change. I thought it stayed with the cap and only the o ring was replaced.
Old 10-17-2022, 02:16 PM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Ahh, so the baby oil filter cap bolt gets replaced during an ol change. I thought it stayed with the cap and only the o ring was replaced.
I've been buying the kit from FCP Euro, and they include everything, even a new drain plug with washer. When changing oil, using the filter housing drain plug is 'optional,' and I can vouch if you take the no option, you get your arm completely covered in oil. And that's knowing what was going to happen, so I was smart enough to keep my body and head out of the way. The geometry there is just stupid. You have to take the filter out of the housing to get them both out. A crappy process. Even when using the mini drain plug, it's hard to capture 100% of it. I need to make a special funnel or something to fix that.

Porsche Engine Oil Change Kit (5W-30) - Liqui Moly/Mahle 92ABASEOILKT | FCP Euro
Old 10-17-2022, 05:04 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Yea, my filter cap doesn't have the drain plug and it's always a bit messy upon removal
Old 10-17-2022, 10:14 PM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Well, went back under there, one day later and, alas, there is some oil starting to come out. It was torqued pretty close. It calls for 25 Nm or about 19 ft lb. I had about 22 ft lb on it, so I loosened it and retorqued it. I ordered a new housing tonight. I should have done a detailed inspection of that housing when I had it out.

When I replace it, I will check the metal sealing surface to make sure it is clean and smooth.
Old 10-17-2022, 10:29 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Make sure that cap is OEM.
Old 10-20-2022, 09:07 AM
aryork
Rennlist Member

I would try this aluminum one from ECS, but not available any longer...

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part.../001982ecs01a/

In looking at some other threads, several people mentioned they added an LN adapter that can use 'old-fashioned' can-style filters.

https://lnengineering.com/spin-on-oi...e-s-turbo.html

https://lnengineering.com/products/d...ange-kits.html

Quick Reply: Oil Leak