Sponsored By:

What is leaking?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2022, 10:02 PM
Shadows89
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default What is leaking?

Need some help here guys. I was changing my engine air filters when I noticed the leak. It's probably very slow since I didn't appreciate any active dripping.
-it is on the passenger side

Any clues to what I'm dealing with?
Thanks!

Background
-2016 cayenne turbo s
-have a good independent mechanic and the fidelity platinum warranty

Pictures below

I think this is the windwash fluid probably...

Last edited by Shadows89; 10-10-2022 at 10:05 PM.
Old 10-11-2022, 01:45 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 628 Likes on 482 Posts

You have a "good mechanic" with bad aim when filling the washer reservoir.

You also might have a slight leak of the valve cover.
The following users liked this post:
Shadows89 (10-12-2022)
Old 10-11-2022, 03:02 AM
Shadows89
Instructor

Haha. That washer fluid was probably me. Guess I overfilled it a couple of weeks ago

How serious is this valve cover thing? Is it routine maintenance, or should I get the warranty to cover this?
Old 10-12-2022, 12:32 AM
DemonBG
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

your last picture is washer fluid. The first 2 is a leaking valve cover gasket. It will only get worse and your driver side gasket probably isnt far behind. Need to be replaced. Not a terrible job but labor intensive. Not sure if a warranty would cover the cost as its a wear item but worth trying for sure.
Shadows89 (10-12-2022)
Old 10-12-2022, 01:21 AM
Shadows89
Instructor

Originally Posted by DemonBG
your last picture is washer fluid. The first 2 is a leaking valve cover gasket. It will only get worse and your driver side gasket probably isnt far behind. Need to be replaced. Not a terrible job but labor intensive. Not sure if a warranty would cover the cost as its a wear item but worth trying for sure.
dang that sounds like it's something I need to take care of asap... is it something I should've changed during a certain interval? I don't recall seeing it
And just out of curiosity, when you say that the driver side will go bad too, what's the reason behind that? And would it be wise to do the vacuum pump as well during this change since it's nearby?
Old 10-12-2022, 01:32 AM
DemonBG
Instructor

Valve cover gaskets just get brittle and leak over time. Just one of those things. Sometimes they last longer, sometimes shorter - I just did my own on my 2012 CS at ~140k miles. Regular oil changes help but wont prevent it completely.

I wouldn't consider a leaking valve cover as a super urgent repair. A leaking valve cover gasket will make a mess and may cause a burning smell every so often as oil drops onto your exhaust manifold but that's about it (At least, at the levels that i can see in your pic)

They aren't really done as routine maintenance either - Just replace when they start leaking. In your situation they'll probably be OK for another few months so don't stress too much, but get them done when you can.

Finally - If your vacuum pump is working ok and isn't leaking - then there's no need to replace it...
Shadows89 (10-12-2022)
Old 10-12-2022, 01:35 AM
Shadows89
Instructor

Valve cover gaskets just get brittle and leak over time. Just one of those things. Sometimes they last longer, sometimes shorter - I just did my own on my 2012 CS at ~140k miles. Regular oil changes help but wont prevent it completely.

I wouldn't consider a leaking valve cover as a super urgent repair. A leaking valve cover gasket will make a mess and may cause a burning smell every so often as oil drops onto your exhaust manifold but that's about it (At least, at the levels that i can see in your pic)

They aren't really done as routine maintenance either - Just replace when they start leaking. In your situation they'll probably be OK for another few months so don't stress too much, but get them done when you can.

Finally - If your vacuum pump is working ok and isn't leaking - then there's no need to replace it...
Ah I see. That's good to hear. Thanks! Are there alternative replacement parts that's usually more robust if the OME is brittle?

I assume this is different than the variocam bolt failure thing I heard about right?
Old 10-12-2022, 01:41 AM
DemonBG
Instructor

Originally Posted by Shadows89
Ah I see. That's good to hear. Thanks! Are there alternative replacement parts that's usually more robust if the OME is brittle?

I assume this is different than the variocam bolt failure thing I heard about right?
Entirely different to the variocam failure. The variocam failure is a series of bolts that back out / break inside the engine and usually means the engine is destroyed. (Also, it only affected 2010-2011 engines).

your original ones lasted 7 years. that's not bad. I used MAHLE gaskets when I did mine which I believe are OE.

I wouldn't stress too much about getting "Better ones" more so than just doing more regular oil changes. That is about the only factor in keeping the gaskets softer for longer. (P.S. I strongly recommend 5-6k oil changes!)
Shadows89 (10-12-2022)
Old 10-12-2022, 01:46 AM
Shadows89
Instructor

Entirely different to the variocam failure. The variocam failure is a series of bolts that back out / break inside the engine and usually means the engine is destroyed. (Also, it only affected 2010-2011 engines).

your original ones lasted 7 years. that's not bad. I used MAHLE gaskets when I did mine which I believe are OE.

I wouldn't stress too much about getting "Better ones" more so than just doing more regular oil changes. That is about the only factor in keeping the gaskets softer for longer. (P.S. I strongly recommend 5-6k oil changes!)
Ah. Gotcha.
Good to know. Definitely doing the 5-6k interval for sure. Ever since ~3 years ago, I have been doing 5-6k changing intervals.
I can't believe how I recently had my serpentine belt changed (like ~1wk ago) by my mechanic and I told him to take a look around and see if anything needs attention but he didn't bring this up...esp as this looks like it's been there a while now

I am going to try my luck with the local dealership and see if it'll get covered by my fidelity plat warranty
Old 10-12-2022, 04:08 AM
CTT-QTR
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Don't worry about it. It's not even a leak. I don't see how a shorter oil change interval would help. In my experience, driving the car more often (avoid let it sit for too long) would definitely help keeping the gaskets in good shape.
Shadows89 (10-12-2022)
Old 10-12-2022, 05:28 AM
jaystonewee
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

In addition to the valve cover gasket leaking, also look down a little further under the valve cover. That rubber hose to hard line (in the OP's photo, just beside/below the leak residue...hardline runs back along the underside/outside edge of the VC) has a bracket that bolts to an aluminum timing cover bolt that can break. Oil can start to seep out and will run down past the timing chain tensioner.

Shadows89 (10-13-2022)
Old 10-14-2022, 09:58 AM
Dingo24
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

If you aren't tackling the valve cover gasket anytime soon you can try Liqui Moli 2020 Motor Oil Saver. I've had really good success with this on a few vehicles with leaky valve covers (BMW especially). Takes a few months to work itself in - the logic is it rejuvenates the brittle seals to give them a bit more elasticity and swell.

Shadows89 (10-15-2022)
Old 10-15-2022, 03:48 AM
Shadows89
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dingo24
If you aren't tackling the valve cover gasket anytime soon you can try Liqui Moli 2020 Motor Oil Saver. I've had really good success with this on a few vehicles with leaky valve covers (BMW especially). Takes a few months to work itself in - the logic is it rejuvenates the brittle seals to give them a bit more elasticity and swell.
interesting. never heard of those before. What's the ideal ratio to motor oil?
Old 10-15-2022, 10:10 AM
Diesel4Life
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

Fidelity will cover it!
Shadows89 (10-22-2022)
Old 10-18-2022, 01:08 PM
Dingo24
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Shadows89
interesting. never heard of those before. What's the ideal ratio to motor oil?
1 bottle will cover max 5L.

For my S, I used two bottles in roughly 10L of oil. Took about 7 months to work magic - but I no longer have any noticeable leaks if any (used to smell it burning on the exhaust).

I recommend putting in on your next oil change.
Shadows89 (10-22-2022)

Quick Reply: What is leaking?