Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Do cayenne diesels command a premium?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2022, 08:55 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Do cayenne diesels command a premium?

So I have a cayenne diesel and I've noticed the non Diesel versions are lower priced? Excluding the turbo GTS etc of course. Is this the case that they command a premium over the normal cayenne?
Old 08-15-2022, 09:05 PM
coffeeisgood
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by 911661
So I have a cayenne diesel and I've noticed the non Diesel versions are lower priced? Excluding the turbo GTS etc of course. Is this the case that they command a premium over the normal cayenne?
yes, you are seeing this with the Cayenne Diesel (CD) because of few reasons:
- There is only approximately 15,000 diesel eating Porsche in the USA/Canada, no more (of any significant #s) will be imported (legally) anytime soon and most likely never.
- The dieselgate warranty. Almost all 2013 to 2016 Cayenne Diesel's in the USA were covered by the VW/Audi/Porsche dieselgate extended warranty and that has some value. Not only to the individual CDs but collectively for this model. (longer extended warranty has resulted in larger availability of parts, techs trained by the brand how to install parts, etc. Note: The diesel engine in the CD is shared with many VW & Audi models, also covered by dieselgate)
- Diesel eaters are the cool kid model (I had to add this one .... lol) unless of course you do a silly mod like deleting your Diesel badges!
Old 08-15-2022, 11:16 PM
KBell
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 311 Posts

Premium? YES

Name another Porsche that goes over 700 miles on a tank?

The following 3 users liked this post by KBell:
8KaboveMSL (08-16-2022), JCope (08-20-2022), RS-America (08-30-2022)
Old 08-15-2022, 11:38 PM
911-997
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts

CD actually does sell for more than a Turbo and GTS if it has some good/wanted options
Old 08-16-2022, 10:27 AM
8KaboveMSL
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by KBell
Premium? YES

Name another Porsche that goes over 700 miles on a tank?

To put that into context, that’s Denver to SLC on one tank of Diesel. I’ve done it!

Last edited by 8KaboveMSL; 08-16-2022 at 10:31 AM.
The following users liked this post:
KBell (08-16-2022)
Old 08-19-2022, 07:36 PM
scorpionryder
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm considering a clean one-owner 2013 CD with 90k listed for 34k.
I thought that's a bit overpriced for the miles but IDK?

The dealer is hesitant to let me look under the skid plates for leaks at the bell housing or anything else for that matter.
"My techs have already gone through it, and they're the best"

He was also belligerent in telling me it's all "supply and demand" for the CD.

I passed on the deal because I didn't the sales manager.
I could be talked into another look. Dunno

Love the CD as an idea

Last edited by scorpionryder; 08-19-2022 at 07:37 PM.
Old 08-20-2022, 04:06 AM
coffeeisgood
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by scorpionryder
I'm considering a clean one-owner 2013 CD with 90k listed for 34k.
I thought that's a bit overpriced for the miles but IDK?

The dealer is hesitant to let me look under the skid plates for leaks at the bell housing or anything else for that matter.
"My techs have already gone through it, and they're the best"

He was also belligerent in telling me it's all "supply and demand" for the CD.

I passed on the deal because I didn't the sales manager.
I could be talked into another look. Dunno

Love the CD as an idea
90k miles on a diesel engine is nothing,
you should be able to do a good a PPI (pre purchase inspection) on any vehicle, A good PPI, might point out something you missed.
that said, you “might” be looking in the wrong spots
how do the tires look? All the same brand? All new or is there any strange wear patterns?
key things, when was the in-service date? Is the dieselgate warranty still active? If active, when does it expire. If this is a 2013, it might be soon
What options does this CD have? Air, ACC, LCA, 8 way or 14 way or 18-way seats, pano sunroof, roof rails, tow hitch, exterior/interior color, stereo Bose Bur or stock? These options get a good amount of chatter here
run the vin on vinanalytics, do the options match or was something added later or missing?
You know its one owner how? What paperwork is coming with the CD? Anything recently fixed?

The following users liked this post:
scorpionryder (08-20-2022)
Old 08-20-2022, 11:13 AM
JCope
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

$34K might initially sound high for a 2013, however it could be a bargain for the right Cayenne. I contemplated selling my 2013 CD with air suspension and 65K miles
earlier this year. I received several strong offers and was tempted, but then the realization hit me- replace it with what-at what price? I'm the original owner and have obsessively maintained the vehicle. Nothing new interests me under $100 grand. I've looked at everything available and can afford pretty much anything I want however, when I get in my CD a go for a drive, I realize that nothing available (IMHO) can compare from the perspective of the price/value relationship. Comfort, capability, and of course long range. I think it is possible that a well equipped CD may ultimately become somewhat analogous to the late air cooled 911's for the SUV market. I realize an SUV market is not the same as the pure sports car market- but I used to buy 87' thru 89" air cooled 911's for around $35K and they seemed ubiquitous. Now, I don't see nice ones very often, and when I do, a desirable one commands very strong money. Stay in the hunt for a nice CD and you will be rewarded.

Last edited by JCope; 08-20-2022 at 11:18 AM.
Old 08-20-2022, 02:42 PM
scorpionryder
8th Gear

Thanks for the info! I'm in the hunt for a CD or CS
The clean CD I'm looking at is local, and I could be driving it today.
I keep vehicles 5-7 years, so I want to find a good one.

I've seen a few CS and base models this week, but the diesel excites me.

Old 08-20-2022, 03:51 PM
chakka
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Get a car fax. I recently bought mine from a non-dealership who wasn’t that familiar with it and said the same about having the best techs. Had them run a car fax, it was very detailed and showed the CD was serviced on time. Called the dealership and Indy shop that did the work, very helpful and confirmed all the work done and when.
Before I bought it, my friend and I went over it well. All looked good, just needed a good cleaning, but found only the visor clip broken. Dealer said no big deal, they’d get a new clip. Found out from Porsche you have to buy the entire sun visor to get the clip….. $600! He said, well that sucks and bought it for me, no worries

That said, you can do a ton more research than a dealership will likely do. GOOD LUCK!
Old 08-20-2022, 06:23 PM
scorpionryder
8th Gear

This CD had one owner per the carfax and was serviced since new at a Porsche dealer.
I called the dealer and was informed they do not give ANY service records out to anyone except the owner when the repairs were made.

Even if I were the new owner, they would not give me the service records due to liability in any potential litigations. What?
This sounds like unreasonable BS to me.

This CD has been on the dealer lot since March.
It's such an unusual SUV, I can't imagine it appealing to anyone except an enthusiast.
Old 08-21-2022, 01:38 PM
AnAlbumCover
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 107 Posts

I'd pass if the dealer is being a jerk. Why spend 35k for something that could potentially have issues.

Be reasonable but control the deal, make the dealers/sellers allow proper due diligence (within reason) or walk. You've got something that everyone wants - cash.

If you're desperate for a car buy a toyota corolla/camry and sell that when you see the cayenne you want. The damn toyota will probably appreciate under your ownership!
Old 08-22-2022, 09:00 AM
chakka
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

This CD had one owner per the carfax and was serviced since new at a Porsche dealer.
I called the dealer and was informed they do not give ANY service records out to anyone except the owner when the repairs were made.

Even if I were the new owner, they would not give me the service records due to liability in any potential litigations. What?

It's such an unusual SUV, I can't imagine it appealing to anyone except an enthusiast.
It's so odd, one dealer will give the information(redact the name of owner), another won't do anything. I have had service advisors go thru the records with me over the phone, noting anything out of the ordinary, that's what you're looking for anyway. One owners are always a plus in my book. Mine went in a bunch of time as well, but once I got into the reasons (door handle issue, sun visor, broken plastic part). Your call of course and it is BS that they aren't helpful.

Old 08-22-2022, 03:06 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

Sounds like the dealer is a bit afraid that the quality of their work (or maybe whether they actually completed the work for which they were paid?) may come back to bite them in the ***.

It would make me very leery of anything this place says or does.

I'm not sure how hot the CD market is, but March seems like a long time for a vehicle to be sitting there.
Old 08-22-2022, 03:14 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by JCope
$34K might initially sound high for a 2013, however it could be a bargain for the right Cayenne. I contemplated selling my 2013 CD with air suspension and 65K miles
earlier this year. I received several strong offers and was tempted, but then the realization hit me- replace it with what-at what price? I'm the original owner and have obsessively maintained the vehicle. Nothing new interests me under $100 grand. I've looked at everything available and can afford pretty much anything I want however, when I get in my CD a go for a drive, I realize that nothing available (IMHO) can compare from the perspective of the price/value relationship. Comfort, capability, and of course long range. I think it is possible that a well equipped CD may ultimately become somewhat analogous to the late air cooled 911's for the SUV market. I realize an SUV market is not the same as the pure sports car market- but I used to buy 87' thru 89" air cooled 911's for around $35K and they seemed ubiquitous. Now, I don't see nice ones very often, and when I do, a desirable one commands very strong money. Stay in the hunt for a nice CD and you will be rewarded.
Agreed. I really, really want a Wrangler diesel. But I just can't bring myself to part with the Cayenne. I mean, obviously for some stupid offer, I would, but otherwise, it's about as perfect a vehicle as can be. Size, safety, quality, range/mph, reliability and comfort.

So yes, I think those of us with them won't part with them for "normal" trade values, for the most part and that makes them available for a premium.

Quick Reply: Do cayenne diesels command a premium?