Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Dashboard glare!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2022, 12:36 PM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 175 Posts

My wife's Panamera has the same issue. Try different polarized sunglasses...they are not all the same. I have to admit.....I have more sunglasses than any one human being should ever have. By far, the best lenses of all are are my Persols. The Persol polarized are way better than all the others I have. Better polarization with better clarity. I have the brown polarized lenses. Next would be some Vuanet's but they are old, so I don't know what the current Vuarnet lenses are like.The polarized lenses I have do cut right through the glare/dash issue.
(Persol is owned by Luxottica , and Persol claims to be handmade in Italy....not sure how much truth there is but they are the best I have ever had)
The following users liked this post:
cathalferris (08-06-2022)
Old 08-06-2022, 12:44 PM
h1pst3r
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mafpolo
My wife's Panamera has the same issue. Try different polarized sunglasses...they are not all the same. I have to admit.....I have more sunglasses than any one human being should ever have. By far, the best lenses of all are are my Persols. The Persol polarized are way better than all the others I have. Better polarization with better clarity. I have the brown polarized lenses. Next would be some Vuanet's but they are old, so I don't know what the current Vuarnet lenses are like.The polarized lenses I have do cut right through the glare/dash issue.
(Persol is owned by Luxottica , and Persol claims to be handmade in Italy....not sure how much truth there is but they are the best I have ever had)
Yes, totally appreciate the try different glasses, but my sunnies are progressive prescription polarized Oakley's (to the tune of $1000) -- not really the most financially prudent solution to try different glasses.

...and in MA it's illegal to tint a windshield.
Old 08-06-2022, 03:25 PM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 175 Posts
Default Change Lenses in Oakleys

Originally Posted by h1pst3r
Yes, totally appreciate the try different glasses, but my sunnies are progressive prescription polarized Oakley's (to the tune of $1000) -- not really the most financially prudent solution to try different glasses.

...and in MA it's illegal to tint a windshield.
Adding a dark cover to the dash may be expensive...finding a black one that came with the two tone after the Porsche settled the suit. Another option is putting on the toupe, which takes an expensive beautiful vehicle and look ugly. Find out what it would cost to change the lenses. I would shop more than one place. $1,000 for Oakley prescription sunglasses seems pretty high. I bought a pair of prescription sunglasses for a friend, and they were one third of that. Try Warby Parker. I think that their prescription polarized sunglasses are a third of what you paid.
Old 08-07-2022, 04:45 AM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Received 174 Likes on 138 Posts

US $14.22 55%OFF | for Porsche Cayenne 958 2011~2017 GTS Turbo S Anti-Slip Mat Dashboard Cover Pad Sunshade Dashmat Protect Carpet Accessories Cape
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMPWjtQ

US $15.18 40%OFF | For Porsche Cayenne 958 2010-2016 GTS Turbo S Automobile Dash Mat Dashboard Pad Carpet Anti-UV Anti-slip Car Dashboard Cover
https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0wtGwU
Old 08-07-2022, 10:26 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,916 Likes on 1,728 Posts

Originally Posted by cathalferris
And every time this misplaced "advice" is given, I feel the need to point out the basic physics that's being ignored here.
No matter where your brain concentrates on, the eye-brain vision system cannot add back in contrast lost on the way to the eye. Glare from the dashboard reflection is reducing the contrast of what's being seen through the windscreen
When there's extra light pointing into your eye from the direction you're looking at, your eye alone cannot distinguish that from what is being looked at. Otherwise we'd be easily able to see stars in daytime - it's the exact same processes at play, as is the reason why two-way mirrors work.
Physics doesn't change just because you want it to.

The solution to the identified problem is to reduce the light coming from the dash reflection to the eyes, whether that's by (ideally) darkening the dash top, by using correctly aligned polarised glasses, or shading the dash with something on the windscreen. Attempting to ignore the problem by hoping it doesn't exist is not very smart.
Simply wishing the problem away WILL NOT WORK. Please stop suggesting it will, as that's just bad advice. Repeating that advice does not make it any less incorrect.
You might THINK you're not affected by the glare, but physics absolutely states you are - you're jsut ignoring the effect and not realising just how much it's affecting your ability to see.

Also, as an aside, just because you don't realise that you're as badly affected by a problem, does not mean that someone else (that has realised the existensc of the issue) is not wrong when they point it out. That's just plain rude.
I'll tell ya what's rude. Your post! Save the reprimand for your children. Well are all members here, some us longer than others. Play nice.

BTW, What color is your dash?

Originally Posted by h1pst3r
Thanks for the replies. I really don't want to put a toupee on my dash but the glare is significant. To the points about looking *through* the windshield, I've been doing this driving thing for more than 30 years, I know where to look while driving; I have never ever seen windshield glare like this in any car, ever.

It also seems to me that if the remedy was as simple as looking through the windshield (and not at the glass, who does this anyway) then Porsche wouldn't have settled the class action suit.

I really don't want to have to replace the dash with a black one, but I'm beginning to lean that way. I have a trip from Boston to Vermont tomorrow, so will assess the issue on that ride.
Porsche's class action lawsuit settlement was to buy each of the plaintiffs a pair of sunglasses of which I took no part in.

Last edited by RAudi Driver; 08-07-2022 at 10:37 AM.
Boomer80 (08-07-2022)
Old 08-07-2022, 10:29 AM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Received 174 Likes on 138 Posts

What about leather dye? You can easily dye the sand color to a darker color. In fact two tone with walnut brown would look great. I've seen a few come that way.
Boomer80 (08-07-2022)
Old 08-07-2022, 01:42 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mafpolo
Vuarnet's. I haven't heard of those sunglasses in over 25 years. They were the bomb back then. edit: I just searched and they are still making glasses. Lol

Luxottica owns em all but they are still made by the manufacturer.
Old 08-07-2022, 01:51 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by F SANE IL
What about leather dye? You can easily dye the sand color to a darker color. In fact two tone with walnut brown would look great. I've seen a few come that way.
If you go that route, you'l have to dye the upper door cards also and start changing out your interior theme to make sure it all matches.

OP the cheapest way is to change your focus point. I've been in the car for 6 years on a daily basis. It can be done to the point where you'll never notice it.

But if you're looking for a cover, which I don't think you are, there's this:

Old 08-07-2022, 05:23 PM
Boomer80
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by F SANE IL
I like this idea, but after thinking about it, the only good way to do it would be to actually remove everything to do the dye job, and I really wouldn’t want to go to that much work. I did the dye job on my snowmobile seat and it really is a great product. I can’t imagine a better test for durability than a snowmobile seat with temperature extremes, wet and icy, plus the fact that a seat has to stretch because of the padding, but I rode like that for 2 years and it still looked like new.

So, I’ll go back to my original statement that after a couple months of driving, I got so used to the reflection and realized that if I wasn’t focusing on the reflection when I was driving and it just became a non issue. Nearly 3 years now with it and I just don’t notice it. In fact at this point I would actually have to think about it to see the reflection.
Old 08-08-2022, 01:30 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

If it makes it any better, my 2022 Etron Chronos, with a black dashboard also has a reflection which is almost as bad. Never noticed it until this thread came into existence. LOL. wipe it from your thought process and life will be a lot easier.

Old 08-08-2022, 04:25 PM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 150 Likes on 123 Posts

Yeah You would have thought that PORSCHE in their "infinite wisdom" and years of testing, would have realized that the light dashtop would reflect.
I had to get a DASHMAT to solve the problem, now I notice that there is a terrible reflection in the rear window from the CHROME TRIM around the console...STUPID DESIGN
Old 08-09-2022, 10:27 AM
cathalferris
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

And the approximate distance of the reflection of the chrome trim pieces through the windscreen is about at the opposite wing of the car, in a perfect place to attract the attention of those that are vigilant about their surroundings, especially when the lighting conditions change in the car such as when there's sunlight shining between buildings flashing inside the car as the car passes.

Looks great, is a bit iffy on the reflection.

Though, VAG cars do have problems with that. Look at the Chiron's dashboard reflection in the windscreen, it's also quite prominent and weird.

Quick Reply: Dashboard glare!!