2013 Diesel / Fried ECU or ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2022, 03:14 PM
randerson22
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2013 Diesel / Fried ECU or ??

Hi All,

We have a 2013 Cayenne Diesel with 100K on it, has been bulletproof until just recently. I was scheduled to get the accessory belts changed, and of course the day before I was to bring it in, on a hot 97 degree day, the main belt blew while driving (AC on). I had it towed to an independent shop, they fixed the accessory belt, belt tensioner and rollers, as well as two fried sensors (oil level and coolant sensor connectors). The tech also took OBD codes and came up with a bunch of codes for issues around the emissions system. So, I set up an appointment with the dealer since it still has the dieselgate emissions warranty.

However, once I picked it up, the check engine light and glowplug light came on. It seemed to run fine without the AC on, but rough driving when it was on. We took it back, The guy did some more checks and the AC unit was overpressurizing and the condenser/cooler fan was not operating. He did an OBD check, and many of the prior faults that had been there no longer appeared (except the emissions related ones). He said that we could drive it around town, not using AC and should be OK until we get it to the dealership. So we drove it today without the AC and it totally died, with a myriad of new warning lights coming on. We got it parked, and now it won't even turn over.

So I will tow it to the dealer, but thought I'd check with the brain trust here to see what others might think about this. might the process of breaking the accessory belt have done some other kind of damage? Does this sound like a fried or faulty ECU? I'm no longer convinced it even has emissions issues, that these fault codes and dash lights might be attributable to an ECU issue. Obviously I'm no expert though.

Any insights and feedback GREATLY appreciated.
Old 08-03-2022, 09:24 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 740 Likes on 529 Posts

Always the first question...how old is the battery? Original?
Old 08-08-2022, 12:31 PM
randerson22
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm, I have not changed it yet in the 4 years we have owned it. But it starts right up, all dash lights come on even in dead mode, lights work.
Old 08-08-2022, 06:45 PM
Bobcat Sig
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by randerson22
Hmm, I have not changed it yet in the 4 years we have owned it. But it starts right up, all dash lights come on even in dead mode, and lights work.
While you may have enough voltage to run the lights, and with them, the ECU. But you may lack the necessary power to start the car. Newer vehicles and their ECUs can be very finicky with voltage requirements. Without the correct amount, errors show and vehicles won't start.

The advice on the battery is spot on. Check the date code for the battery first. And if possible, test the voltage. If it's original, it's likely time for a new battery.
Old 08-08-2022, 10:58 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 270 Posts

We need to know the actual codes.
Old 08-09-2022, 10:35 AM
cathalferris
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Check if the carpet under the driver (left) seat is intact or not where the battery tray is located. There are partial cuts in place, but prior to the first replacement there shouldn not be a complete flap openable there.

If the carpet is intact, the battery is as-built and likely in need of changing.

Quick Reply: 2013 Diesel / Fried ECU or ??