Sponsored By:

Dashboard glare!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2022, 11:37 AM
h1pst3r
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Dashboard glare!!

Just got my '13 CS and am loving it. However, the dashboard glare off my luxor beige dash is unbelievably bad. I use polarized Oakley sunglasses and they don't help at all.

Has anyone come up with not-horrendously-ugly work around. I am about to pull the trigger on a black dash just to mitigate the issue.

Thanks!

-Chris
Old 08-03-2022, 12:23 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,916 Likes on 1,728 Posts

Don't look at the glass. Problem solved.
The following 2 users liked this post by RAudi Driver:
Boomer80 (08-05-2022), Dr. G7 (08-05-2022)
Old 08-03-2022, 12:41 PM
h1pst3r
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
Don't look at the glass. Problem solved.
Might be a little hard to drive, no?
The following users liked this post:
Dr. G7 (08-05-2022)
Old 08-03-2022, 02:18 PM
GTCharlie
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 74 Posts

Try different shades of lenses. I use blue.
Old 08-04-2022, 04:15 AM
cathalferris
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

One option, that will definitely work but may not be aesthetically pleasing, is to put a dark matte cloth-type of cover over the dash. Anyone with a scissors and a sewing machine and a modicum of dressmaking skill should be able to do it, making sure if going over the passenger side that the airbag fracture lines are also respected in the cover.

Go for black sheepskin (faux or real as per taste and availability) and you'll definitely have much less glare for sure. Dark coloured velvet or alcantara might be a more useful option.
Old 08-04-2022, 10:20 AM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 463 Likes on 308 Posts

Did you know there was a class action lawsuit over this issue? And I’m not sure how you can avoid looking out the windshield - that was a really helpful suggestion.

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-...on-settlement/
Old 08-04-2022, 01:32 PM
Gus B.
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Can you legally tint the front windshield?
Old 08-04-2022, 02:04 PM
GTCharlie
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus B.
Can you legally tint the front windshield?
I did. 70% is legal in Texas. More than anything the ceramic tint I put on cut down infrared heat. It didn’t cut glare much. You might try putting a dark strip at the top to see if that helps.
Old 08-05-2022, 10:17 AM
Boomer80
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

I had the same gripe when I first got my 13CS with the Luxor beige too, but I don’t even notice it anymore. In fact I would have to actually be looking for it to notice it now. As was mentioned when I first posted about this a couple years ago and as a pilot noted. Your vision should be focused beyond the windshield. Don’t worry you will train your eyes not to notice it. I also wear Maui Jim polarized sunglasses and they are the best IMO for reducing the reflection.
Old 08-05-2022, 07:43 PM
reneeweiss
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

The dealer told me about this issue when I bought my 2013. You could probably get one of those carpets that they make for dashboards or perhaps dye it black. Mine is black
dak911 (08-08-2022)
Old 08-05-2022, 07:52 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Received 314 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by h1pst3r
Not to the drivers in my hood.

Last edited by Dr. G7; 08-05-2022 at 07:54 PM.
Old 08-05-2022, 07:56 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Received 314 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by cathalferris
a modicum of dressmaking skill .
In a Cayenne forum?
Old 08-05-2022, 11:28 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,916 Likes on 1,728 Posts

Originally Posted by h1pst3r
Originally Posted by leftlane
Did you know there was a class action lawsuit over this issue? And I’m not sure how you can avoid looking out the windshield - that was a really helpful suggestion.

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-...on-settlement/

Boomer picked up what I was putting down.

You shouldn't be looking at the windshield, you should be looking past the windshield. Place your visions depth on the road and don't let it stop at the glass. Your brain can't see both at the same time.
GTCharlie (08-06-2022)
Old 08-06-2022, 06:13 AM
cathalferris
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
Boomer picked up what I was putting down.

You shouldn't be looking at the windshield, you should be looking past the windshield. Place your visions depth on the road and don't let it stop at the glass. Your brain can't see both at the same time.
And every time this misplaced "advice" is given, I feel the need to point out the basic physics that's being ignored here.
No matter where your brain concentrates on, the eye-brain vision system cannot add back in contrast lost on the way to the eye. Glare from the dashboard reflection is reducing the contrast of what's being seen through the windscreen.
When there's extra light pointing into your eye from the direction you're looking at, your eye alone cannot distinguish that from what is being looked at. Otherwise we'd be easily able to see stars in daytime - it's the exact same processes at play, as is the reason why two-way mirrors work.
Physics doesn't change just because you want it to.

The solution to the identified problem is to reduce the light coming from the dash reflection to the eyes, whether that's by (ideally) darkening the dash top, by using correctly aligned polarised glasses, or shading the dash with something on the windscreen. Attempting to ignore the problem by hoping it doesn't exist is not very smart.
Simply wishing the problem away WILL NOT WORK. Please stop suggesting it will, as that's just bad advice. Repeating that advice does not make it any less incorrect.
You might THINK you're not affected by the glare, but physics absolutely states you are - you're just ignoring the effect and not realising just how much it's affecting your ability to see clearly.

Also, as an aside, just because you don't realise that you're as badly affected by a problem, does not mean that someone else (that has realised the existence of the issue) is not wrong when they point it out. That's just plain rude, and it's a bullying technique called "Invalidating", and it's a poor reflection of you to see it.

(edited for spelling and accuracy)

Last edited by cathalferris; 08-08-2022 at 06:08 AM. Reason: Spellings and accuracy.
h1pst3r (08-06-2022)
Old 08-06-2022, 10:02 AM
h1pst3r
Intermediate

Thanks for the replies. I really don't want to put a toupee on my dash but the glare is significant. To the points about looking *through* the windshield, I've been doing this driving thing for more than 30 years, I know where to look while driving; I have never ever seen windshield glare like this in any car, ever.

It also seems to me that if the remedy was as simple as looking through the windshield (and not at the glass, who does this anyway) then Porsche wouldn't have settled the class action suit.

I really don't want to have to replace the dash with a black one, but I'm beginning to lean that way. I have a trip from Boston to Vermont tomorrow, so will assess the issue on that ride.

dak911 (08-08-2022)

Quick Reply: Dashboard glare!!