2014 High mileage Turbo S

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2022, 03:58 PM
audi_fanboy
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question 2014 High mileage Turbo S

Hello!

I found a CPO'd 2014 Turbo S with 107k miles. It being CPO'd does give me a bit more reassurance and I have an independent PPI being done tomorrow. Regardless, that amount of miles is making me anxious. Per the service records it has been maintained regularly by the Porsche Dealer. I only drive about 2500 miles a year but I'm looking for something more utilitarian, I can fit both kids in and everyone be comfortable and me be happy behind the wheel. Should that amount of miles be concerning? Does anyone know when the struts need to be replaced? I'm assuming that is not covered by the CPO warranty correct? Any other advice?
Old 06-15-2022, 04:17 PM
Rocknroad
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

If the PPI checks out, and the price is acceptable, just do it. I bought my 13 CS with 145K miles on it but, it checked out and I love the beast. The CPO will be awesome for the issues you are fearful of.
The following users liked this post:
TXCOMT (06-16-2022)
Old 06-15-2022, 04:46 PM
wyowolf
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 37 Posts

I might have to redefine my definition of high milage, I bought a 12 S with 156k, now 13k later not a problem save for an AC fan that doesn't seem to blow very strong, but hey its only 103 today... and a black vehicle no less. Ive driven to Wyo and back, went all kind of off roading in search of fishy fishy... I love it... other than I now realize its a bit small to haul much. But I do love driving it . The guy that did the PPI on mine, was actually looking to buy the same vehicle!
TXCOMT (06-16-2022)
Old 06-15-2022, 05:27 PM
audi_fanboy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rocknroad
If the PPI checks out, and the price is acceptable, just do it. I bought my 13 CS with 145K miles on it but, it checked out and I love the beast. The CPO will be awesome for the issues you are fearful of.
Originally Posted by wyowolf
I might have to redefine my definition of high milage, I bought a 12 S with 156k, now 13k later not a problem save for an AC fan that doesn't seem to blow very strong, but hey its only 103 today... and a black vehicle no less. Ive driven to Wyo and back, went all kind of off roading in search of fishy fishy... I love it... other than I now realize its a bit small to haul much. But I do love driving it . The guy that did the PPI on mine, was actually looking to buy the same vehicle!
Thanks all! Wow! Yeah, both of yours, mileage does indeed give me a lot more confidence now! I appreciate it!
Old 06-15-2022, 06:08 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,448 Likes on 837 Posts

eh, with CPO its likely fine, although if you rely on the dealer and can't DIY, things like brakes will get expensive really fast. Once CPO is over, you got a few things to worry about, including the air suspension. If you go into it expecting that you could have some $3k to $5k repairs on rare occasion, you'll be just fine.
Old 06-15-2022, 06:40 PM
DrBillyD
Racer

Received 143 Likes on 96 Posts

Reading this thread makes me feel like my 2014 CTTS that just turned 80K miles is just hitting it's stride. In the almost 8 years I've had it, no major repairs, breakdowns, or trouble. Most reliable vehicle I've ever owned.

As mentioned, dealer service can be pricey. I've done my own spark plugs, engine and cabin air filters, brake pads (somewhat surprising to me, the rotors are original and within wear spec still), TC and rear differential fluid changes. Tried doing an engine oil change once and the underbody aero panels and having to move the hose for PDCC were enough of a PITA that I gladly pay to have that done now. I just had the engine serpentine belt replaced (not mentioned as maintenance in the manual but at 8 years, I figured it was time) and mentioned to my GF that I'm almost expecting a $3-5K repair bill sometime in the next few years purely based on age/mileage. We'll see how it goes.

Biggest expense I've encountered has been tires; the 21" summer tires only last about 15-20K miles for me. Having a separate winter wheel/tire setup helps extend interval between needing new summer tires.

Biggest points of failure in 958 Cayennes seem to be transfer cases failing, though there's now a 10 year warranty on them so you should be good til 2024 (or more if have CPO warranty). I haven't had an issue with mine and change the TC fluid when I do the spark plugs (every 30K miles). Another issue is the glued in coolant fittings giving way, though it seems relatively uncommon based on traffic on this site. Air shocks also seem to be uncommon but can be pricey when they go out.
TXCOMT (06-16-2022)
Old 06-15-2022, 09:58 PM
audi_fanboy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DrBillyD
Reading this thread makes me feel like my 2014 CTTS that just turned 80K miles is just hitting it's stride. In the almost 8 years I've had it, no major repairs, breakdowns, or trouble. Most reliable vehicle I've ever owned.

As mentioned, dealer service can be pricey. I've done my own spark plugs, engine and cabin air filters, brake pads (somewhat surprising to me, the rotors are original and within wear spec still), TC and rear differential fluid changes. Tried doing an engine oil change once and the underbody aero panels and having to move the hose for PDCC were enough of a PITA that I gladly pay to have that done now. I just had the engine serpentine belt replaced (not mentioned as maintenance in the manual but at 8 years, I figured it was time) and mentioned to my GF that I'm almost expecting a $3-5K repair bill sometime in the next few years purely based on age/mileage. We'll see how it goes.

Biggest expense I've encountered has been tires; the 21" summer tires only last about 15-20K miles for me. Having a separate winter wheel/tire setup helps extend interval between needing new summer tires.

Biggest points of failure in 958 Cayennes seem to be transfer cases failing, though there's now a 10 year warranty on them so you should be good til 2024 (or more if have CPO warranty). I haven't had an issue with mine and change the TC fluid when I do the spark plugs (every 30K miles). Another issue is the glued in coolant fittings giving way, though it seems relatively uncommon based on traffic on this site. Air shocks also seem to be uncommon but can be pricey when they go out.
Ah I appreciate it! I actually found a 64k mile (standard Turbo) for a stellar price. So hopefully going for that and adding a Fidelity Platinum warranty just for peace of mind. Thanks all for the replies!
TXCOMT (06-16-2022)
Old 06-15-2022, 11:01 PM
Diesel4Life
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by audi_fanboy
Ah I appreciate it! I actually found a 64k mile (standard Turbo) for a stellar price. So hopefully going for that and adding a Fidelity Platinum warranty just for peace of mind. Thanks all for the replies!
Better price check that fidelity warranty at over 60k miles and platinum. Probably looking at $7-8k for that.
TXCOMT (06-16-2022)
Old 06-15-2022, 11:15 PM
audi_fanboy
Intermediate

Actually @Highline-Autos.com gave me a fantastic price (much less than the 7-8k) that was stated.
Old 06-16-2022, 12:38 AM
wyowolf
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by DrBillyD

id second the TC issue. mine is fairly new within a year or so id guess . I did change fluid which is super easy
TXCOMT (06-16-2022)
Old 06-16-2022, 10:54 AM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by audi_fanboy
Not sure you need Platinum...Gold covers most of the mechanical stuff that can go wrong and is a lot less expensive.

But...it depends on your risk threshhold...
Old 06-16-2022, 12:18 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 3,009 Likes on 1,782 Posts

Originally Posted by wyowolf
@wyowolf, Rock Auto for a new fan at $149 and it's super easy to install. Will totally solve your issue. You do not need to remove the dash or glovebox to get this in and it takes all of about 30 minutes. Pm me for instructions
TXCOMT (06-16-2022)
Old 06-16-2022, 12:39 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 3,009 Likes on 1,782 Posts

I would look over all the service records for the 107k miles one before I jumped on the 60k mile one.

First off, maintenance and options make all the difference on these cars. You're gonna want the PDCC, PTV, Burmester, ACC and PAS. Oh and a tow hitch or roof rails or both. The Turbo S comes with more of these items standard. I've owned my car for over 100k miles and can tell you that right around 80k miles is when the car starts spitting up broken parts. At 110k on my car, it's now running great again, but that's me replacing a nice amount of stuff. Granted mine is a 2011 first year launch edition, so it's to be expected but the parts are pretty much the same and should have the same failure rate.

Here's what's been replaced on my car:

All 4 air shocks
High Pressure fuel pump
Water pump and thremostat
all new aluminum timing cover and valve cover bolts
Vacuum pump
Transmission heat exchanger
Blower motor for the AC
PCM head unit
driver's side window switches
front diff
both window shade motors or at least the gears
rear window regulator
PDCC pump
plugs & coils, maintenance items
brakes every 20k miles $1,200 for the parts
All front suspension parts, upper and lower control arms, end links, rubber, etc....
Engine torque mount, should be replaced as a maintenance item.
There might be a few other items that I'm forgetting, but ya gotta be able to turn a wrench with a used Cayenne.

The following 2 users liked this post by RAudi Driver:
Blownvette (06-17-2022), TXCOMT (06-16-2022)
Old 06-16-2022, 07:08 PM
MBDiagMan
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

With todays automobiles, I don’t consider 100K to be very high mileage. Todays cars of most any brand, properly cared for are commonly good for 250 to 300K. In the days of carburetors, most cars were good for 100K. There were some that went much farther with overhauls, replacement transmissions and such. Cars have come a long way on many fronts.

Last edited by MBDiagMan; 06-16-2022 at 07:11 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by MBDiagMan:
RAudi Driver (06-17-2022), TMC. (06-17-2022)

Quick Reply: 2014 High mileage Turbo S