Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

New tires - TPMS won't go into Learning mode

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2022, 09:05 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,916 Likes on 1,728 Posts

Another thought, how much liquid soap did the shop use to mount your tires. Maybe the soapy water shorted out the sensors.
Old 05-25-2022, 03:40 PM
Brake_L8
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
Another thought, how much liquid soap did the shop use to mount your tires. Maybe the soapy water shorted out the sensors.
None, they just used that "tire lube" on the rims of each wheel. I filmed part of the work for my YouTube channel and was back there with the tech for most of the work.
Old 05-25-2022, 03:43 PM
Brake_L8
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DrBillyD
Another situation I've encountered was having one sensor momentarily not be displayed on the MFD (two dashes instead of a number) and then it comes back after a few miles of driving. Granted, neither scenario is exactly what you asked, but makes me think one sensor going out isn't going to make the other three not display.

Anyway, please follow-up and let us know how it works out. Thanks.
My theory of "maybe one sensor is in the spare, which is in my trailer" is blown. Thinking on it more, I had to transport that spare wheel/tire to the trailer and it rode in the back of the Cayenne for ~40 miles after leaving the tire shop, over the course of a few days - went home first, then eventually to the trailer lot.

I may try letting air out of all four tires and seeing if that wakes up the system somehow. I have a friend doing brakes for me soon, and he has a scan tool that can retract the parking brake. He thinks it'll also be able to read the TPMS system, so if there's any faults or data being stored but not displayed to me, we might luck out and see what's what. My hope is that we can at least see if the four sensors are working. Barring that, I'll go back to the tire shop. I don't drive this every day so figuring this stuff out can take some time...
Old 05-25-2022, 06:22 PM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 136 Posts

FYI, the TPMS sensors are read through a laptop with software on it or a TPMS scan tool, the process is totally wireless.

Last edited by Vegas993; 05-25-2022 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-02-2022, 10:07 PM
Hastarock
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back to TPMS not “learning,” maybe someone has some insight for me. My 2014 Cayman has two TPMS readouts. One reads normal tire pressures, and the other is a warning of 4 to 6 lbs low, and the message is that it’s not learning. Unfortunately, it’s the second system that triggers the dash warning light. The sensors are working properly, as read by a Discount Tire sensing device.

I have tried inputting different wheel sizes to no avail.

In this thread somewhere it was stated that the car has a signal receiver/processor (not sure I want to buy a receiver/processor for a Porsche!). Before I go there, it sounds electrically driven, so (1) could it be a fuse? or (2) do you think it could reset itself if I disconnect and reconnect the battery? Or am I way out of my league?
Old 10-02-2022, 10:38 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 740 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by Hastarock
Back to TPMS not “learning,” maybe someone has some insight for me. My 2014 Cayman has two TPMS readouts.
Hi @Hastarock , please repost your question on the appropriate Cayman forum, or perhaps search that forum to see if someone else has already had a similar issue with their Cayman.

Thanks!
Old 10-03-2022, 04:44 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Received 314 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by kwill
I went through this recently and had to drive the car very slowly for a few miles to reset them.
In mine, 2018, I had to drive at highways speeds, for about fifteen minutes. System reset itself automatically.

Quick Reply: New tires - TPMS won't go into Learning mode