Sponsored By:

New tires - TPMS won't go into Learning mode

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2022, 03:43 PM
Brake_L8
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default New tires - TPMS won't go into Learning mode

I got a new set of tires a few weeks ago (on the same wheels) and when I left the tire shop, my 2013 Cayenne Diesel had a message in the cluster about "Tire change? Update settings!" so I dutifully clicked through the various options in the dash menus to confirm that yes, we still have 19" wheels with all-season tires at full load. I have put a few hundred miles on the car at this point and am getting the same message every time I start the car. The TPMS light blinks for a little bit and stays lit solid amber while driving and the cluster never enters what should be the next phase, where it tells you "not monitoring - learning" or whatever.

The tire shop asked if I wanted to keep the same TPMS sensors and I said yes, as they were working just fine prior to changing tires. I have tried changing settings (telling the car we're using 18" winter tires and then back to 19" A/S, for example) which doesn't do anything different.

Not sure what the issue is but I'd love to have working TPMS again! Any ideas?

Old 05-18-2022, 03:47 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 278 Posts

if the old sensors are in the car's cockpit, which they were when you drove off from the shop per your post, that can cause the problem.
Old 05-18-2022, 03:53 PM
Brake_L8
Advanced

Originally Posted by CAVU
if the old sensors are in the car's cockpit, which they were when you drove off from the shop per your post, that can cause the problem.
I didn't get new sensors, the shop left the old/existing sensors on the wheels and only installed new tires.
Old 05-18-2022, 04:50 PM
kwill
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I went through this recently and had to drive the car very slowly for a few miles to reset them.
Old 05-18-2022, 04:54 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,916 Likes on 1,728 Posts

You shouldn't have updated the settings until your TPMS read the correct tire pressures.

The only thing you can do now is to say no to the tire change and see if that fixes your issues.
Old 05-18-2022, 05:06 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Brake_L8
I didn't get new sensors, the shop left the old/existing sensors on the wheels and only installed new tires.
Got it. Once had a shop break a sensor during the tire change and tried to convince me that it was just age. Did not have a good ending for them when I brought in the sensor that they broke.

Can't image that they could break all 4 sensors. If they have a tpms tool, which they should, they should be able to read the sensors.
Old 05-18-2022, 05:26 PM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 136 Posts

I would try changing the settings and see if it goes into learn mode. If that works, when it's done you can just change it back to the correct setting.
Old 05-19-2022, 10:32 AM
Brake_L8
Advanced

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
You shouldn't have updated the settings until your TPMS read the correct tire pressures.

The only thing you can do now is to say no to the tire change and see if that fixes your issues.
When I first left the tire shop, I confirmed that the tire settings had not changed (i.e. I clicked through and just said yes to "these are still 19" all-seasons") and immediately drove it ~15 miles or so. Nothing happened.

Several days later, I then tried changing it to some other settings, driving a few miles, and changing back to proper settings.

At no time since leaving the tire shop has the dashboard told me it is in learning mode.
Old 05-19-2022, 06:37 PM
DrBillyD
Racer

Received 140 Likes on 94 Posts

Are the TPMS sensors from 2013?

Can/did the tire shop confirm that the sensors are still sending a signal?

Last edited by DrBillyD; 05-19-2022 at 06:40 PM.
Old 05-20-2022, 12:17 PM
Brake_L8
Advanced

Originally Posted by DrBillyD
Are the TPMS sensors from 2013?

Can/did the tire shop confirm that the sensors are still sending a signal?
They may be (though the tires that came off the car were newer) - but the point is that they were functional when I pulled in to the tire shop, and an hour later, the car was stuck in "Tire change?" mode and can't be brought out of it. There's no way all four sensors suddenly died at the same time in the same hour.
Old 05-20-2022, 04:23 PM
DrBillyD
Racer

I understand your frustration, having run into TPMS issues on my 2014 CTTS. The cherry on top of my sundae is that Porsche decided to switch TPMS sensor systems midway through the 2014 model year, so you have to basically verify your VIN and ask your dealer which system it has and which sensor it takes. And the cheap knockoff TPMS sensors sold on Amazon won't work either. It was quite a rabbit hole I found myself going down when I had to replace mine. I switch between summer and winter tires twice a year, have replaced multiple sets of tires by this point, and what you're experiencing isn't normal. My experience has been that after a tire/wheel swap, I change the MFD to the appropriate wheel/tiire setup, it takes about 5-10 miles of driving to register the change (and displays that the system is in learning mode), and then all's well until the next swap. I have never had to wait until the TPMS sensors report a pressure to reconfigure the MFD.

Anyway, either the TPMS sensors aren't sending a signal (batteries dead or sensors damaged during tire swap) or they are sending a signal and your vehicles system can't/won't process it correctly (seems unlikely since it was working previously). My first guess would be something with the sensors so I'd ask the shop to check if the sensors are sending a good signal. If they're not, you're going to need new ones. If they are, you can investigate whether something is wrong with your vehicle's TPMS receiver/processor.

There are other threads on here about TPMS sensors and I'll add some advice. First, do not use the cheap knockoff sensors you can find on Amazon, Ebay, etc. Second, ask your local dealer to run your VIN and verify with type/model of TPMS sensor you need; ask whatever vendor you use to do the same. Third, when you get new sensors record the unique ID digits on each sensor (either write them down or take a pic of each one); it's good information to have b/c once they're installed and the tires mounted, the info is a PITA to get if needed to reprogram. Fourth, like most P-car parts your local dealer will happily sell you TPMS sensors for your vehicle for about 3-4x what you could find identical sensors for online (ask me how I know).
Old 05-23-2022, 11:21 AM
Brake_L8
Advanced

Originally Posted by DrBillyD
I understand your frustration, having run into TPMS issues on my 2014 CTTS. The cherry on top of my sundae is that Porsche decided to switch TPMS sensor systems midway through the 2014 model year, so you have to basically verify your VIN and ask your dealer which system it has and which sensor it takes. And the cheap knockoff TPMS sensors sold on Amazon won't work either. It was quite a rabbit hole I found myself going down when I had to replace mine. I switch between summer and winter tires twice a year, have replaced multiple sets of tires by this point, and what you're experiencing isn't normal. My experience has been that after a tire/wheel swap, I change the MFD to the appropriate wheel/tiire setup, it takes about 5-10 miles of driving to register the change (and displays that the system is in learning mode), and then all's well until the next swap. I have never had to wait until the TPMS sensors report a pressure to reconfigure the MFD.

Anyway, either the TPMS sensors aren't sending a signal (batteries dead or sensors damaged during tire swap) or they are sending a signal and your vehicles system can't/won't process it correctly (seems unlikely since it was working previously). My first guess would be something with the sensors so I'd ask the shop to check if the sensors are sending a good signal. If they're not, you're going to need new ones. If they are, you can investigate whether something is wrong with your vehicle's TPMS receiver/processor.

There are other threads on here about TPMS sensors and I'll add some advice. First, do not use the cheap knockoff sensors you can find on Amazon, Ebay, etc. Second, ask your local dealer to run your VIN and verify with type/model of TPMS sensor you need; ask whatever vendor you use to do the same. Third, when you get new sensors record the unique ID digits on each sensor (either write them down or take a pic of each one); it's good information to have b/c once they're installed and the tires mounted, the info is a PITA to get if needed to reprogram. Fourth, like most P-car parts your local dealer will happily sell you TPMS sensors for your vehicle for about 3-4x what you could find identical sensors for online (ask me how I know).
So I'm with you on the sensors likely being functional as they worked when I got to the tire shop.

Thinking about this again... if one of the four sensors is not present/functional, will the whole system act as mine is? I bought a fifth full-size wheel (of identical style to what came on the car) and had a fifth tire installed to use as a spare while towing. It does not have a TPMS sensor installed because... spare. I'm now wondering if only three of the wheels on the Cayenne itself have TPMS sensors installed and the fourth wheel-with-sensor is sitting in my trailer instead of installed on the Cayenne. I would think the car would show pressures for three wheels and -- or something for the fourth if that were the case but I've been wrong a lot before.
Old 05-23-2022, 01:14 PM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 136 Posts

I thought I had an issue with one of my TPMS sensors and I went by Discount Tire and the kid scanned it right there in the parking lot. If the original tire shop doesn't have that capability then you should swing by Discount/America's Tire and see if they can scan it and tell you what's up.
Old 05-24-2022, 11:51 AM
DrBillyD
Racer

Originally Posted by Brake_L8
So I'm with you on the sensors likely being functional as they worked when I got to the tire shop.

Thinking about this again... if one of the four sensors is not present/functional, will the whole system act as mine is? I bought a fifth full-size wheel (of identical style to what came on the car) and had a fifth tire installed to use as a spare while towing. It does not have a TPMS sensor installed because... spare. I'm now wondering if only three of the wheels on the Cayenne itself have TPMS sensors installed and the fourth wheel-with-sensor is sitting in my trailer instead of installed on the Cayenne. I would think the car would show pressures for three wheels and -- or something for the fourth if that were the case but I've been wrong a lot before.
Actually, in my previous post I said my first guess is something with the sensors (as opposed to the receiver/system in the car). Agreed though that it is a weird situation as either point of failure (i.e. all 4 sensors going out at once vs. car receiver/system going out just when tires are changed) seems improbable and yet.... there is something wrong.

I'm guessing sensors mostly on the basis of never having heard of the receiver/system in the car being a problem, whereas the sensors themselves have been an issue for me personally as well as other posts I've read. Obviously, my experience is anecdotal and subject to selection bias.

Will admit to not knowing the workings of the TPMS sensors in detail but wondering if deflating then re-inflating tires during a tire swap makes the sensors work more than usual (lots of pressure changes to register). If the sensors (and their batteries) are 9 years old, perhaps the stress of that would deplete the batteries completely? Another scenario is that the sensors got damaged during the tire swap, but presumably tire shops do tire swaps all the time without damaging sensors.

As to one sensor going out and causing all of them to not work.... Can't answer specifically but when I got a nail in a tire, the affected tire lost pressure and the MFD displayed a red warning when the pressure dropped about 10-12 psi below recommended level. TPMS screen in MFD displayed which tire was affected (in red) while other sensors still worked. Another situation I've encountered was having one sensor momentarily not be displayed on the MFD (two dashes instead of a number) and then it comes back after a few miles of driving. Granted, neither scenario is exactly what you asked, but makes me think one sensor going out isn't going to make the other three not display.

Anyway, please follow-up and let us know how it works out. Thanks.
Old 05-24-2022, 01:19 PM
kwill
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

This may not be relevant but on the theory that more information is better than less information I'll share my recent experience: I purchased 4 new wheels/tire/TPMS sensors. I loaded the old wheels/tires/sensors in the back and drove home. The system displayed dashes at all four corners because it could see 8 sensors. Once the extra wheels were taken out of the car it went into learning mode and I was able to calibrate it by driving slowly around the block.

Quick Reply: New tires - TPMS won't go into Learning mode