Sponsored By:

Cayenne diesel oil temp

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2022, 10:44 PM
jbse39
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Cayenne diesel oil temp

What oil temps are the CD owners seeing? I just had engine out oil leak repair done (actually still leaking and need to go back) but I am seeing oil temps hover near 215-220 in 75 degree weather. I could swear it used to be around 210 or so, but the dealer had it for 5 months and my memory is bit fuzzy. Thank you.
Old 03-06-2022, 10:57 PM
KBell
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 473 Likes on 315 Posts

City driving, 210.
"sport mode," 210
Highway driving with cruise control, 230.

The ECU will notice highway driving.
It will raise the temp for fuel efficiency.
Old 03-07-2022, 03:04 AM
dollarlongnecks
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 123 Posts

It's been around 75 here for the past few days, and my temps were in the same range you mentioned. I think it varies based on driving style, as I see it change all the time - it's not a perfect stable degree like the coolant, which can't really be accurate.
Old 03-07-2022, 09:48 AM
KBell
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 473 Likes on 315 Posts

dollarlongnecks, You are correct.
I should edit my post for more clarity.
I was just giving a range of engine oil temperatures: from highs to lows.
Yes, oil temperature varies greatly on driving style.

OP. Your temperatures are good. They are in the "normal" range.

Old 03-07-2022, 10:43 AM
jbse39
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Thank you for your replies.
Old 03-07-2022, 04:11 PM
vwbrd
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by dollarlongnecks
It's been around 75 here for the past few days, and my temps were in the same range you mentioned. I think it varies based on driving style, as I see it change all the time - it's not a perfect stable degree like the coolant, which can't really be accurate.
I read here somewhere that the coolant temp is more like an idiot light, once it's warmed up, it stays at 200, and that the oil temp is more useful. (Why they would bother to put a coolant gauge but not have it work correctly seems very un-German, but I'm sure there was a reason)
The following users liked this post:
vntperformance (07-08-2022)
Old 06-15-2022, 04:14 PM
DarkHorseMC
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

OK, I just got back from hauling an **empty** 7x14 tandem axle cargo trailer from Waco TX to Show Low AZ in mostly 95F to 105F temps, higher the average altitudes ... gross weight of trailer is about 2200lbs. My 2015 CD is tuned with Stage 2 Malone tune, full alphabet delete (DPF/CAT/EGR) all gone. The vehicle runs great, huge performance gains, especially torque. While towing on level highway at 70MPH, I would use overdrive (gear 8) and saw a little less than 2000 RPM and was getting great mileage, above 22MPG. However, my engine oil temps began to creep up to the 260-270F range. The coolant temp, however, remained a constant 200F. The higher oil temps concerned me of course... so, I found using sport mode and staying out of overdrive (gear 7) while at 70MPH, turning about 2200 RPM, temps would stay mostly under 250F. Also experimented with turning off the sport mode button... if I turned off, I would begin to see oil temps increase. need to research that more.

At no point did I feel I needed more power... with the stage 2 tune (305 bhp, 490 lb ft)... only concern is really the cooling issue.

Here are some questions I'd like feedback on:

- I would really like to tow in overdrive (on flat highway) if possible to save fuel... is that something I should not expect?
- I've heard that the dash oil temp readings are not very accurate and that I should install a bluetooth OBD reader / iPhone app to monitor temps. Anyone else hear the same? I guess with an OBD viewer I could also view transmission temps?
- I'm scratching my head because this was with an **empty** v-nosed cargo trailer... only 2200 lbs. My plan is to tow 5000 lbs on a regular basis, which should be well within the tow limits of the Cayenne Diesel.
- what button combinations / gears / etc for those that tow, have you found works best? sport mode on/off? Do you pick a target RPM? What MPGs are most people getting when towing (what type of trailer / weight)?

Is there any options out there to install a secondary oil cooler of some kind?

Thanks.

Old 06-15-2022, 07:20 PM
nsully
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have seen 245-250 max according to my dash oil temp readings.
Only for a short period of time.
This is always while towing, and then it settles down to high 30's, low 40's.
I usually tow 68-72 mph, enclosed Trailex, about 4400lbs.
When driving without a trailer it isn't unusual for the dash readings to be 220-235 on the interstate.
It fluctuates.
Recently, while having work done at the dealer I asked them to pull the highest oil temp off of the computer.
It was 221.
So, yes the dash read is high, in my case by almost 30 degrees.
Hope that helps.
DarkHorseMC (06-15-2022)
Old 06-16-2022, 02:03 AM
dollarlongnecks
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 123 Posts

The highest I have ever seen on mine - also with a Malone stage 2 - is 235, and I had been driving hard and fast, but I don't have an experience with towing (yet).

You might reach-out to Malone and get their take. They have been quick to answer my questions, even months later.
DarkHorseMC (06-16-2022)
Old 06-16-2022, 12:28 PM
Newegg
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

I noticed higher oil temp since i did the full delete and tune. It makes sense that the temps are higher since the egr is no longer cooling the combustion chamber.

260-270 seems high.
Old 06-16-2022, 01:15 PM
DarkHorseMC
Advanced

Ok, after reading **many** various threads here on the forum (we should all be thankful to have such an amazing resource) I'm now wondering if my radiator flaps / louvers are working properly?

I've read threads when some have wedged a sock into the flaps to keep it open. I'd like to try that for a test run, to see if temps are lower while towing... but, I don't want to risk burning out the flap motor.

Anyone know where the cooling flap motor is located? Was hoping I could just disconnect power to the motor during my test.
Old 06-17-2022, 01:25 PM
DarkHorseMC
Advanced

So, did a little test during a normal errand run, no towing... hooked up OBD reader and used OBD Fusion app on iPhone to view oil temp.

The dashboard oil temps definitely read higher than the temp reported via OBD. When at 220F on the dash, OBD was reporting about 210F. Difference appears to get larger as the temp gets higher.

Very odd.

Anyway, was wondering if anyone knows where the power connector is to the cooling flap / louver assembly that is in front of the radiator. I live in a warm climate and would like to try manually keeping them open.

vntperformance (07-08-2022)
Old 06-17-2022, 01:37 PM
AnAlbumCover
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 108 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...tor-flaps.html

Someone used a sock and i approve of that method!
Old 06-17-2022, 02:04 PM
nsully
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You can determine if they are operating at all by starting the engine. Our radiator flaps open at start.
Whether they stay open at speed is a completely different adventure.
Can't wait to read about that...
Old 06-17-2022, 02:26 PM
DarkHorseMC
Advanced

Ya, thanks for the links. Ya, my flaps open and are working fine, but I want them open at highway speeds without having to use sport mode to do so. Also, sure the sock method works, but I don't want to burn out the flap actuator motor while testing with forcing the flaps open. Hence, I just want to disconnect power to the flap actuator motor, but I cannot find any wiring diagrams that show where the plug is located.

It's fuse 10 in the fuse box, but that same fuse also controls a lot of other stuff I want to keep on.

Quick Reply: Cayenne diesel oil temp