Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Prepping for brake rotor replacement - what "oilspray" for future dismantling?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2021, 01:26 PM
flyaflya
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prepping for brake rotor replacement - what "oilspray" for future dismantling?

After being quoted $1600 for front brakes by my local dealer and seeing on youtube that rotor replacement is not hard (I am new to this), I ordered myself a brake kit for my 2016 Porsche Cayenne Base from FCP Euro (https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/por...r-9583514030kt). After reading the installation instructions, Zimmerman does not want ceramic paste (or similar coating) to be used between rotor and hub. I assume this is due to the Z-coating, but am not sure. Here is a quote from their website that echoes the installation instructions that come with the rotors:
  • "Do not apply any grease or similar products. A thin layer of oilspray can be applied for an easier dismantling."
My question is what oilspray to use on the hub? I believe WD-40 qualifies as an oil spray, but am not sure. Is WD-40 what Zimmerman has in mind?

THX!
Old 11-30-2021, 03:58 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,418 Likes on 818 Posts

I think they are trying to avoid someone globbing on some thick substance that may cause some runout on the rotor. You can coat the hub with a thin spread of engine oil or antiseize, but make sure its a skim coating only.
The following users liked this post:
flyaflya (12-07-2021)
Old 11-30-2021, 10:27 PM
porschedad_73
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I didn't apply anything when I replaced my front rotors. My dealer quoted me similar price to just get the fronts done so I did it myself and went the FCP Euro route as well. You won't regret it. Well worth the $$ saved.
flyaflya (12-07-2021)
Old 12-01-2021, 12:17 AM
jtsmith18
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts

Yup, just did mine last week with Textar rotors and pads on a friends lift. Easypeazy. Took about 2 hours, no squeals etc.
flyaflya (12-07-2021)
Old 12-01-2021, 12:12 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by flyaflya
"Do not apply any grease or similar products. A thin layer of oilspray can be applied for an easier dismantling."My question is what oilspray to use on the hub? I believe WD-40 qualifies as an oil spray, but am not sure. Is WD-40 what Zimmerman has in mind?
Zimmerman's statement is generic and is not specifically aimed at Porsche.

I do not recommend any substance in advance unless you see something specific, usually related to the car being driven a lot in a high road salt environment. Then and only then wouldI apply anything and it would be done with a small brush (NO SPRAYING). It might be the few wire and brake line holders There are a few cans of stuff on my shelf.. Project Farm is fun viewing and he did a few tests of penetrating oils. https://www.youtube.com/c/ProjectFar...ch?query=kroil

Last edited by CAVU; 12-01-2021 at 12:19 PM.
flyaflya (12-07-2021)
Old 12-01-2021, 01:50 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,963 Likes on 1,755 Posts

You can use a dry teflon brushed on if you wish. Probably get it from Home Depot. I get my dry teflon from the bike shop for my bicycles. Use it to lube chains, etc....
flyaflya (12-07-2021)
Old 12-07-2021, 10:47 AM
flyaflya
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the responses. I did the brake job on Sunday with the help of an experienced home mechanic friend. According to him, the need for a triple square socket set and not cleaning the Zimmerman rotors prior to install were the two non-standard parts of the job. I watched enough youtube videos to know those steps and felt like I contributed something to the process.

I ended up using brakleen and a wire brush to help clean the hub, used WD-40 Rust Release as my hub oilspray coating (figured it couldn't hurt), and then just put the coated rotor on to it. My guess is the Zimmerman coating on the rotor is a sufficient anti-seize between rotor and hub. Now that I have tested the brakes, you can visually see the coating stripped away where the pads touch the rotors; I imagine the coating between hub and rotor remains intact for the life of the rotor.

The pads that were on there were Bosch and not sure about the rotors, but the installed Zimmerman rotors with Textar brake pads are much quieter. I used to have noise some squeal when stopping from a very slow speed - say 3mph to 0mph.

Thanks again for all the messages. @CAVU , I will check out those vids :-)
Old 12-08-2021, 03:49 PM
porschedad_73
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by flyaflya
Thanks for all the responses. I did the brake job on Sunday with the help of an experienced home mechanic friend. According to him, the need for a triple square socket set and not cleaning the Zimmerman rotors prior to install were the two non-standard parts of the job. I watched enough youtube videos to know those steps and felt like I contributed something to the process.

I ended up using brakleen and a wire brush to help clean the hub, used WD-40 Rust Release as my hub oilspray coating (figured it couldn't hurt), and then just put the coated rotor on to it. My guess is the Zimmerman coating on the rotor is a sufficient anti-seize between rotor and hub. Now that I have tested the brakes, you can visually see the coating stripped away where the pads touch the rotors; I imagine the coating between hub and rotor remains intact for the life of the rotor.

The pads that were on there were Bosch and not sure about the rotors, but the installed Zimmerman rotors with Textar brake pads are much quieter. I used to have noise some squeal when stopping from a very slow speed - say 3mph to 0mph.

Thanks again for all the messages. @CAVU , I will check out those vids :-)
The coating is nothing more than just anti-corrosion (zinc plating). No need to remove it. Yes, those Textar pads are great but biggest negative is excessive brake dust IMO. My wheels get covered with it after few days. They also seem to wear fast but that really doesn't bother me since I get them free for life from FCP EURO.

Quick Reply: Prepping for brake rotor replacement - what "oilspray" for future dismantling?