Sponsored By:

Navigation map update

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2021, 10:08 AM
rl2102
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Navigation map update

2016 Cayenne circa - can I update my navigation map?

TIA
The following users liked this post:
ZenicaPA (07-24-2021)
Old 07-24-2021, 02:27 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by rl2102
I'd have to check, but I'm pretty sure that Google Maps and Waze both update pretty much constantly.

Oh, you mean in the PCM? Huh.

There's so much other good stuff going on in Waze I haven't used a built-in nav system in a long time.

(full disclosure...I work for a sister company...)
Old 07-24-2021, 03:09 PM
ZenicaPA
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm also interested in updating the PCM.

Waze, Google maps and even MapQuest are fine but I prefer not to rely on an app. I remember 30 years ago, before the advent and proliferation
of in vehicle navigation, there was the Garmin windshield mounted GPS. It was "okay" but the pinnacle of performance was and remains, an in dash unit.
It is tied into the vehicles sensors so even if it loses satellites briefly, it still knows where I am, on the map. Your apps will not. They will continue to give
directions from the last known position as if you are proceeding at the anticipated rate. If you are forced to stop, the app continues. You can stop the app
but it's cumbersome to me. Plus it relies on an LTE or 5G signal from a mobile phone. As much as I love my iPhone, it's not perfect. It does glitch on me
every now and again and it's usually that annoying glitch where it locks up/freezes and doesn't reset itself for what seems like 5 minutes.

I can count on one hand how many times my PCM has rebooted and when it does, it's back in under 30 seconds.

I must be old school, I'll use Waze to avoid traffic and police but for directions, I prefer the PCM.
Dr. G7 (07-24-2021)
Old 07-24-2021, 03:18 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 430 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by ZenicaPA

Waze, Google maps and even MapQuest are fine but I prefer not to rely on an app. I remember 30 years ago, before the advent and proliferation
of in vehicle navigation, there was the Garmin windshield mounted GPS. It was "okay" but the pinnacle of performance was and remains, an in dash unit.
It is tied into the vehicles sensors so even if it loses satellites briefly, it still knows where I am, on the map. Your apps will not. They will continue to give
directions from the last known position as if you are proceeding at the anticipated rate. If you are forced to stop, the app continues. You can stop the app
but it's cumbersome to me. Plus it relies on an LTE or 5G signal from a mobile phone. As much as I love my iPhone, it's not perfect. It does glitch on me
every now and again and it's usually that annoying glitch where it locks up/freezes and doesn't reset itself for what seems like 5 minutes.

I can count on one hand how many times my PCM has rebooted and when it does, it's back in under 30 seconds.

I must be old school, I'll use Waze to avoid traffic and police but for directions, I prefer the PCM.
I agree with this.

I trust PCM much more than google maps. Waze is only a little better in actual mapping, but the roadside warnings are nice with waze.

I would like to know also if there is a PCM update available, I have a 2014 Base.
Dr. G7 (07-24-2021)
Old 07-24-2021, 07:07 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Received 326 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by ZenicaPA

I use Google Maps, through Apple Car play. I have never lost a signal, and I drive through some remote areas where cell phone reception is nonexistent. Caveat, about two years ago I was driving a fleet car, of course no in dash Nav. I was only using the trusty Apple Google maps. One destination was rural Wisconsin. No cell phone coverage. I had just drive for miles to get to location with 3G. Nowadays, 5G is almost everywhere. But then some some (they wear tin foil hats) say COVID is linked to 5G towers.

Old 07-24-2021, 09:14 PM
ZenicaPA
Instructor

I'm all about 5G. I've been frying my brain for a lot longer than 5G's been around so that ship sailed like the Titanic.
I still prefer the in-dash navi. It's seamless as opposed to using an app. Granted, my 2016 se hybrid lacks ApplepPlay so I can't
use GoogleMaps through the PCM thought my Z06Z07 has it and I have never used it.
Old 07-25-2021, 12:59 AM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by rl2102

TIA
Suncoast probably has the best price on the software https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU958PCMU.html. You will need a dealer to install as it needs to be registered. I’ve been quoted $200+ for install so I haven’t been able to justify. With the IPhone 12 I have been migrating to Google maps for most of the navigation. Would prefer to use the PCM nav but it isn’t easy to program plus many outdated maps in parts of the country. Next car will have apple play.
ZenicaPA (07-25-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 03:14 AM
ZenicaPA
Instructor

Originally Posted by rdboxster
Suncoast probably has the best price on the software https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU958PCMU.html. You will need a dealer to install as it needs to be registered. I’ve been quoted $200+ for install so I haven’t been able to justify. With the IPhone 12 I have been migrating to Google maps for most of the navigation. Would prefer to use the PCM nav but it isn’t easy to program plus many outdated maps in parts of the country. Next car will have apple play.

That's bollocks. A dealer has to install "software"? What a thinly veiled ploy to get people to a dealer.
IF it was because of a worst case scenario, say the update bricks the hardware, and the dealer would then correct it for the same service charge, I'd maybe understand
but the cynic in me thinks if that were to happen, they'd just present you with a repair estimate and a bill for it. (along with the "software update" fee)

Last edited by ZenicaPA; 07-25-2021 at 03:15 AM.
Old 02-07-2023, 11:44 AM
UNYboater
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rdboxster
Suncoast probably has the best price on the software https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU958PCMU.html. You will need a dealer to install as it needs to be registered.
Has anyone been able to self-register this with a good program/code-reader? LAUNCH et al?
Old 02-07-2023, 08:23 PM
Mtea
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

I asked my dealer last fall about updating the maps in the PCM on my 2014 CD. Quote was $550 plus tax. Seems like way more than it’s worth. i’d probably pay $150 or so but $550 for essentially software that is free on other devices on the internet seems userous.
Old 02-08-2023, 10:42 AM
911guyinaz
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Great for someone to figure out how to adopt google maps to PCM
Old 02-08-2023, 04:17 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Received 326 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by 911guyinaz
Great for someone to figure out how to adopt google maps to PCM
Apple CarPlay. Or Android dongle.
Old 02-09-2023, 09:29 AM
SSDVC
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 170 Posts

So, over on the Club Touareg site, there is a thread where they can download map updates for their RNS850 systems. https://www.clubtouareg.com/threads/...update.289429/

There are also several other threads where some innovative folks (I am not one of them) have developed updates for those systems. Has anyone here come across anything like this for our Cayennes?
carlos85 (02-09-2023)

Quick Reply: Navigation map update