Slightly OT: Old helmets

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2021, 12:31 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 740 Likes on 529 Posts
Default Slightly OT: Old helmets

Here's a slightly off topic question...what do you all do with helmets that have aged out?

I can't just take it to the dump...
Old 07-08-2021, 02:06 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Maybe you can donate to a police or youth driving instruction program? Otherwise turn it into a holder of chips and dip?
Old 07-08-2021, 04:36 PM
RS-America
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 100 Posts

We are keeping the one that three members from the Porsche family signed at the Salt Lake City track. At the start they were in brand new faster cars immediately behind us.
The rest are out of date and as we would not use them, would not want others using them. Those will go in the garbage as they can not be recycled. Finally throwing stuff out that should have been gone a long time ago!
=========================
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...meet-otis.html
Old 07-09-2021, 07:33 PM
dbv1
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 80 Posts

Is there a study that confirms helmets lose their protective properties after 10 years? Seems awfully convenient for the manufacturers to have to replace the helmets so often.
Old 07-09-2021, 10:54 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 114 Posts

After 5 years mine smells so bad throwing it out is the best option.
The following 3 users liked this post by Kris Murphy:
Eskimo1 (07-14-2021), lml999 (07-10-2021), ZenicaPA (07-11-2021)
Old 07-11-2021, 12:15 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Kris Murphy
place a dryer sheet inside. Also do this with boots etc

local PCA club took mine, I think they allow them as rental helmets for auto cross, not DE.
Old 07-11-2021, 02:46 PM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 175 Posts

I only know about motorcycle helmets, but the same may apply for auto. Helmet manufacturers state that a motorcycle helmet should be replaced at five years. Apparently, the components harden over time, and when they do, they no longer absorb impact. The time frame is affected by sweat, storage, and hair product. My motorcycle helmets are kept inside (climate controlled), I wear a merino wool beanie, and I don't ride in the heat of summer. I also don't use hair gel or spray. So, I change mine very seven. Frankly, it's a royal pain, because the chances of a manufacturer making the same helmet five years later is nil, and you have to start finding the right one ll over again. I will not recycle, sell, or give away an old helmet, because it has lost its protective properties and thus is a danger to somebody.
The following users liked this post:
RS-America (07-20-2021)
Old 07-11-2021, 05:29 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,442 Likes on 621 Posts

I was researching this because I have an SA 2010 helmet (expiring this year or next) and we have two motorcycle helmets but sold the bikes.

One suggestion was to contact a local emergency first responder unit. Especially with motorcycle helmets, they may use them to train responders who have to respond to motorcycle accident. It’s training in how the attend to a person wearing a helmet, and how to practice removing the helmet (if needed). I thought this made sense.

My local track hosts a MotoAmerica race each year (at Pitt Race) and I’ll check to see which first responders they use, and whether they could use expired helmets for training.

There were other suggestions like donating to an automotive/motorcycle paint shop so they could be used as practice for painting “rounded” shapes, like a motorcycle gas tank. Not sure there’s much need for this.

I’m wondering in this time of Covid if anyone wants a used helmet. It could certainly be sanitized, but times have changed. Another suggestion was donating to a nursery or grade school for class project (like painting or turning into another object) but I don’t see any kids’ school wanting someone’s used helmet.
Eskimo1 (07-14-2021)
Old 07-12-2021, 01:41 PM
luciano136
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 114 Posts

I only have motorcycle helmets but donating them to first responders to practice with, is a good option. Other than that, display cabinet ? I did keep the one from my first crash at Laguna Seca as a souvenir LOL
Eskimo1 (07-14-2021)
Old 07-12-2021, 01:44 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 393 Posts

you can paint them and create artwork displays with them.
Old 07-13-2021, 09:18 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Kris Murphy
Dunked mine in clean warm water a couple time s on real hot days and it did away with that funk. Also had 4-5 clean baclavas at the start of the weekend.
Old 07-14-2021, 02:11 AM
Trio
Rennlist Member

Received 305 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Chaos
Also had 4-5 clean baclavas at the start of the weekend.
The Greek dessert, or the headwear?
Old 07-14-2021, 09:57 AM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Chaos
Dunked mine in clean warm water a couple time s on real hot days and it did away with that funk. Also had 4-5 clean baclavas at the start of the weekend.
When I'm at the track, I have a box fan that's laying on its back (spaced up for airflow), and after every session, my helmet and gloves get put on it until the next session. That and pulling the liners out a few times a year to wash them keeps them totally funk-free.
Old 07-14-2021, 11:09 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,442 Likes on 621 Posts

I bought one of these:

https://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/...quipment-dryer

No affiliation. Not sure how effective the ozone aspect is but it’s very effective at drying helmet, shoes and gloves. I alternate between two sets of gloves because they’re hard to get on once wet. A fan works too, but we’ve also found several uses for this at home: drying sneakers, winter hats, gloves and boots, shoes, even duffle bags or containers that get moist inside or a bit musty.

I didn’t want it initially. I generally believe less (stuff) is better but bought it at my husband's encouragement. Turns out it’s been quite useful. I’ll probably bring it this weekend with temps expected near 90. If I can plug in at the garage then I know several friends will also use it. If I can’t plug in, I’ll use it at the hotel.

Old 08-11-2021, 07:07 AM
cathalferris
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Watch out for ozone causing brittleness on plastic and composite materials - this will include the liners and the shock absorption foams inside the shell, as well as the shell itself.

The last thing you want is a fresh clean-smelling helmet failing in its intended purpose due to materials changing behaviour over time.

Quick Reply: Slightly OT: Old helmets