Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Speedometer and Odometer Malfunction?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2021, 07:11 PM
Bomba
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Speedometer and Odometer Malfunction?

So weird thing happened on my 2016 Base Cayenne.....

Yesterday while driving in the rain at highway speeds, my speedometer and tachometer both dropped to zero for maybe a second, then returned to normal. It happened in the blink of an eye. The dials behaved like they do when the auto/start stop feature was active, but I was driving along at about 60mph and the engine didn't shut off.

The car has been largely without issue, save for the transfer case being replaced under warranty.

I was driving in the rain so I wondered if maybe water got into something, but there are no interior leaks or wet spots anywhere inside the car.

Anyone experienced anything like this?
Old 04-13-2021, 12:59 PM
Bomba
Racer

Wow. 80 views and no one has experienced this weirdness?
Old 04-13-2021, 01:03 PM
Mrg02D
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Bomba
Wow. 80 views and no one has experienced this weirdness?
Not here. Never seen this, or heard of this, on any car.
Old 04-13-2021, 01:42 PM
Bomba
Racer

Originally Posted by Mrg02D
Not here. Never seen this, or heard of this, on any car.
Thanks for responding.

My beater Lexus LS400 did something similar 20 years ago. A good whack on the dashboard would fix it. LOL.
Old 04-13-2021, 09:54 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 763 Posts

You may want to ask your friendly local dealer about the extended warranty on wheel speed sensors. When the correct one fails you lose the speedo (shouldn't effect the tach though) and PSM and ABS. They crack and tend to fail when wet. Dunno what's up with your tach - since they're both disabled it would seem like a "common" source problem like electrical power. Perhaps if you have a Porsche specific code reader there is a stored error code in the instrument cluster module telling why this happened.

BTW - generally if you have a high number of views and no responses yours is a somewhat unique problem. It's not that people are ignoring you - 80 of them looked right? They just had no good answers for you, and unlike Facebook they usually don't fill up a page with useless drivel just to be seen/heard.
Old 02-01-2024, 07:06 AM
edwood9876
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had same thing.....

Originally Posted by Bomba
So weird thing happened on my 2016 Base Cayenne.....

Yesterday while driving in the rain at highway speeds, my speedometer and tachometer both dropped to zero for maybe a second, then returned to normal. It happened in the blink of an eye. The dials behaved like they do when the auto/start stop feature was active, but I was driving along at about 60mph and the engine didn't shut off.

The car has been largely without issue, save for the transfer case being replaced under warranty.

I was driving in the rain so I wondered if maybe water got into something, but there are no interior leaks or wet spots anywhere inside the car.

Anyone experienced anything like this?
I have a 2017 S - Diesel but had exactly same thing happen last night. Really odd and just happened to be looking when it happened. Hasn't happened again but wondering if you got it sorted or ever worked out what it was? Would be great to know, Ed
Old 02-02-2024, 01:13 PM
reneeweiss
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

I haven't had that but my speedo indicates 3 mph faster than actual speed. The service adviser once told me that they set the speedos that way in Germany so people don't get tickets- and the earth is flat I told him.

Quick Reply: Speedometer and Odometer Malfunction?