Sponsored By:

Cracked head!?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2021, 06:03 PM
DemonBG
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Cracked head!?!

Im in the middle of cleaning the intake valves on my 2012 CS and have noticed this “crack?” Between the two valves on the foremost cylinder (driver side). Not sure what this is or if it’s just a parting line form the casting process. Anyone seen something like this before?

the liquid on top of the valves is the CRC valve cleaner in using. It’s not oil.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 03-23-2021, 10:23 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Wow, that is wild! Can you get something like a dental pick on it and see if feels like a crack?
Old 03-23-2021, 10:28 PM
DemonBG
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Yes. Definitely can feel with a pick and has some depth to it, however I think I’m in the clear. From what I can see in a few other threads this witness mark seems to be on a few other cayennes too:

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...-cleaning.html

My current theory is that this is a manufacturing mold line which due to tolerances is more pronounced on my engine... it’s a guess. And I hope I’m right.
Old 03-23-2021, 10:43 PM
volcanogts
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

I’ve walnut blasted tons of 2.0t engines in vw/audi products, and have seen cracks like this a lot. It’s unfortunate, but i don’t believe it’s the end of the world, at least get. Until that crack gets all the way down so that there is a leak into the cyl, I wouldn’t worry about it. Once it gets there, you will know. It will idle rough smoke, similar symptoms to a head gasket, and have a hard time starting because oil could start to leak down onto the valves and onto the piston. I’ve been through that before with the 2.0t engines and at that point the only fix is a new head.
The following 2 users liked this post by volcanogts:
Eskimo1 (03-25-2021), s996 (03-23-2021)

Quick Reply: Cracked head!?!