Sponsored By:

2013 CTT with dried coolant on top of the engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2021, 11:44 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by twodollardoug
I don't think the starter needs to come out for the work you intend to do.
Starter? No.. not for pinning the fitting. The High-Pressure-Fuel-Pump does have to come out unless you're triple-jointed with eyes on stalks.
Old 03-22-2021, 11:49 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Received 356 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Starter? No.. not for pinning the fitting. The High-Pressure-Fuel-Pump does have to come out unless you're triple-jointed with eyes on stalks.
He had mentioned that he was going to remove the starter from the bottom of the "V".
Old 03-23-2021, 08:16 PM
Phillip Hageman
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plan to leave the starter in place but need to clean around it to get the old coolant out of there. I was looking through my records for the car and the plastic vent tube was replaced around 20000 miles ago, and the thermostat housing gasket was also replaced at that time. This service was all performed at Porsche. What are the chances they did the repairs but didn't clean the old coolant out? The reason I ask is that the pressure test showed no leaks and I've not seen any "wet" coolant in the "v" of the engine?
With that said,, I am still planning to pin the pipe in the back as well as replaced the gaskets and vent tube while I'm in there. I'm just perplexed by where the coolant may have come from...
Old 03-23-2021, 11:16 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Personally I think the chances of them not cleaning the old residue is pretty high. If you are already in their and have it apart I would clean, and replace gaskets (they're cheap). Pin the crossover tube. Start with fresh seals and a clean V and go from there.

Last edited by twodollardoug; 03-23-2021 at 11:19 PM.
Old 03-24-2021, 01:07 AM
Phillip Hageman
Track Day

I agree with you completely and am working towards that now. Thank you for the advice.
Old 03-24-2021, 11:42 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by twodollardoug
He had mentioned that he was going to remove the starter from the bottom of the "V".
There is no reason nor logic in R&R of the starter for pinning this fitting. I'm guessing he hasn't done one or read our DIY's?
Old 03-25-2021, 11:22 AM
Phillip Hageman
Track Day

Just to clarify my reason and logic for pulling the starter. I completely understand that it does not need to come out to pin the pipe in the rear, but I have quite a bit of coolant that has dried and solidified underneath the starter with no easy way to get under there to clean it out. I want to start with a clean environment to be able to identify issues once the repairs are made. Nothing more than that. Thankfully, there are several good DIYs on here which are very helpful.
Old 03-25-2021, 12:27 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Phillip Hageman
Just to clarify my reason and logic for pulling the starter. I completely understand that it does not need to come out to pin the pipe in the rear, but I have quite a bit of coolant that has dried and solidified underneath the starter with no easy way to get under there to clean it out. I want to start with a clean environment to be able to identify issues once the repairs are made. Nothing more than that. Thankfully, there are several good DIYs on here which are very helpful.
What I did was flood the area with brake cleaner and wiped it up with a rag. To get under the starter, you may be able to shoot brake cleaner under there then push a rag under it with a screw driver. Just be careful around the starters power terminals when you're working around it.

I get it, I'm a clean freak too. Problems are a lot easier to see when your engine is clean. I make my kids pressure wash there engines before I even look at it.
Old 03-25-2021, 02:26 PM
Phillip Hageman
Track Day

Great advice! I may give that a shot to keep from taking everything off. Thank you!

Quick Reply: 2013 CTT with dried coolant on top of the engine