Sponsored By:

2013 CTT with dried coolant on top of the engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2021, 10:54 AM
Phillip Hageman
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 CTT with dried coolant on top of the engine

Long time listener, first time caller here. I searched the forums and the interwebs and have not had much luck, so here it goes.

Car info, 2013 Cayenne Turbo with 104000 miles.

I have a coolant smell coming from my car with no visible signs of a leak. From one of the other posts on here I thought it might be the line on top of the engine so I took the intake off and sure enough I have coolant dried in the V of the engine. I pressurized the system and can not find any signs of a leak on the lines on top or the thermostat housing area. I left it pressurized for a few hours and lost around 2 lbs of pressure but nothing...

Any suggestions on where to look next or should I clean up the coolant on the top of the engine, button it up, and keep an eye on the coolant level? I was hoping to prevent a pipe bursting and draining the coolant quickly.
Old 03-21-2021, 11:13 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,975 Likes on 1,763 Posts

I would just change out everything. I too have a small leak. Super tiny and as soon as I get a chance, I'm going in there and hitting every area of the cooling system.
The following users liked this post:
Phillip Hageman (03-21-2021)
Old 03-21-2021, 11:15 AM
Phillip Hageman
Track Day

Thats about where my head is at also. I'm going to pull the fuel rail and starter today and get everything cleaned up and give it one more shot; otherwise, I will start at the thermostat housing back and replace what's up there.
Old 03-21-2021, 11:35 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 471 Posts

If you're going to take off the intake, just replace the small vent lines as those are known to crack/crumble apart and leak. No use going in there to clean things up without replacing that Y-shaped line.

And if you find your thermostat housing is not the bolted version, then that's your opportunity to pin those lines, as well as the rear crossover line.
The following users liked this post:
Phillip Hageman (03-21-2021)
Old 03-21-2021, 11:54 AM
Phillip Hageman
Track Day

The pipes out of the front of the thermostat are bolted. Are those the pipes you are referring to or us it the pipe put the back of the thermostat housing that goes to the back of the engine? I don't remember if it's bolted or not.
Old 03-21-2021, 12:39 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Phillip Hageman
The pipes out of the front of the thermostat are bolted. Are those the pipes you are referring to or us it the pipe put the back of the thermostat housing that goes to the back of the engine? I don't remember if it's bolted or not.
Yeah, the two big pipes coming out the front of the engine/thermostat housing. Separate of your issue, but detectible when the intake is off, is the rear one which is an important one to determine if you have the newer threaded crossover pipe or not. If you don't, and it's still intact and not leaking, get it pinned ASAP (drill, tap, and place a set screw through it). It can be pinned with the engine in place, even the HPFP can remain in place. Unless you like the potential of being stranded, this is a must do on all V8 958.1s.
Old 03-21-2021, 04:23 PM
Phillip Hageman
Track Day

What's the best way to determine if I have the updated threaded insert? I dug around the back of the engine with some light and an endoscope but wasn't really sure what I was looking for.
Old 03-21-2021, 04:50 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,156 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by Phillip Hageman
What's the best way to determine if I have the updated threaded insert? I dug around the back of the engine with some light and an endoscope but wasn't really sure what I was looking for.
Unfortunately - it's not at all easy to see. Perhaps if you laid on top of the engine and can get your eyes in line with the rear of the engine you might be able to spot it if you have a really good flashlight. The majority of people assume the worst and plan on removing the HPFP to do the required work. Or remove the engine.. Kidding..
Old 03-21-2021, 05:40 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

If you have an endoscope, take tons of pics and post them up here and we can guide you where to look further if you miss it. I believe there is a DIY on this website with pics to give you an idea of what you're looking for.
Old 03-21-2021, 08:40 PM
Phillip Hageman
Track Day

There is a really good DIY on this forum when removing the HPFP, you are correct.

I will see if I can get some pics and post them this week. Thank you for all of the help on this! Its greatly appreciated!
Old 03-21-2021, 10:08 PM
Phillip Hageman
Track Day

Sorry for the quality of the pic but I apparently purchased the Yugo endoscope. I believe this is the fitting referenced which is back of the engine, under the HPFP, coming out of the horseshoe shaped manifold and mine appears to be the old style....
Old 03-21-2021, 10:30 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

That's a good pic - but try to get it angled to the left so you can see it better. Usually the hose is pressed against the aluminum part... yours might be slowly "emerging"... not good!
Old 03-21-2021, 10:35 PM
Phillip Hageman
Track Day

I tried to get go the other side of it, but it was difficult with the fuel pump in the way. I may start prepping to replace it, or pin it sooner than later. There is a good discussion on her to tap the hole but it also included the person making his own threaded fitting with a lathe. That option is out for me so I will have to come up with a different method or have someone make the fitting.
Old 03-21-2021, 11:12 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

It's not all that hard to pin it if you have the extensions and adapters to reach in there. Just make sure it has not loosened already and is leaking. Of the ones I've done, the hose was against the aluminum part.
Old 03-22-2021, 01:09 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Received 350 Likes on 244 Posts

I don't think the starter needs to come out for the work you intend to do.

Quick Reply: 2013 CTT with dried coolant on top of the engine