Sponsored By:

What to buy to replace 2013 CD

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2020, 11:08 AM
Mrboom
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What to buy to replace 2013 CD

I have a 2013 CD with 118k miles. Have had zero issues.
I love the fuel economy and towing ability, although I now probably drive less than 10k miles per year and rarely tow the surf boat. Didn't tow once this year and maybe 3 times last year at less than 5 miles each way from the dealer to the marina.

I could get away with a gas SUV. I definitely miss the handling, power and sound of my last 2 Cayenne GTS's.

But, the diesel has been so practical. I could keep it, but worry about what could go wrong as I add more miles.

What are you guys replacing your CD's with?

Old 11-27-2020, 01:01 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

not enough info.

price range
items of highest importance
warranty important

etc.

G wagen might be fun. Lexus LX would be reliable and tow like ad ream. New Q8 looks nice, as does the X7.
Old 11-27-2020, 04:42 PM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 98 Posts

When I bought my GTS, I was looking at CD's too - I figured I may as well enjoy the V8 while they're still around. Sometimes I wish it got better mpg's, but I've no regret on how the GTS drives (2013). The chassis set-up, the motor, I love the whole thing. I don't tow, so I wish it were PDK but aside from that it's magic. The Cayennes are hard to beat $/fun for an SUV.

If you don't really care for a sporting drive, lots of other to chose from. If you miss the sound of your old GTS', why not get another, or a Turbo with the sports exhaust? They're very affordable now.
Old 11-27-2020, 05:17 PM
911-997
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by z3mcoupe
When I bought my GTS, I was looking at CD's too - I figured I may as well enjoy the V8 while they're still around. Sometimes I wish it got better mpg's, but I've no regret on how the GTS drives (2013). The chassis set-up, the motor, I love the whole thing. I don't tow, so I wish it were PDK but aside from that it's magic. The Cayennes are hard to beat $/fun for an SUV.

If you don't really care for a sporting drive, lots of other to chose from. If you miss the sound of your old GTS', why not get another, or a Turbo with the sports exhaust? They're very affordable now.
I wont lie. I have always wanted to buy GTS before ending up buying a CD as they look the best in 958.1 lineup however I couldn’t digest its fuel economy rating. I had GX460 before CD and I hated it’s fuel economy as It is my daily driver and I drive alot. I ended with CD as it has amazing fuel economy and driving characteristics
Old 11-27-2020, 10:57 PM
RS-America
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 100 Posts

We would keep our '13 CD for long distance off-road travel and RSA for track. We are looking for an SUV that is not limited, like the CD, to driving in just North America. Have looked at the new Ford Bronco and like it. Aside from new model growing pains, issues with parts and service in Central and South America would be problematic.
An older Land Cruiser is more likely in the cards for us.
Old 11-27-2020, 11:00 PM
dc1225
Burning Brakes

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrboom
I have a 2013 CD with 118k miles. Have had zero issues.
I love the fuel economy and towing ability, although I now probably drive less than 10k miles per year and rarely tow the surf boat. Didn't tow once this year and maybe 3 times last year at less than 5 miles each way from the dealer to the marina.

I could get away with a gas SUV. I definitely miss the handling, power and sound of my last 2 Cayenne GTS's.

But, the diesel has been so practical. I could keep it, but worry about what could go wrong as I add more miles.

What are you guys replacing your CD's with?
Mine's not diesel but Im probably going to Model X. Going to buy extended warranty so I do not have to spend any time on the internet forums in the future.
If not, Lexus GX or LX. I wanted a Macan but the saw that Macan had same transfer case problem. One Cayenne was enough for me.

Last edited by dc1225; 11-27-2020 at 11:02 PM.
Old 11-27-2020, 11:19 PM
Mrboom
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RS-America
We would keep our '13 CD for long distance off-road travel and RSA for track. We are looking for an SUV that is not limited, like the CD, to driving in just North America. Have looked at the new Ford Bronco and like it. Aside from new model growing pains, issues with parts and service in Central and South America would be problematic.
An older Land Cruiser is more likely in the cards for us.

I do have a new Bronco on order, but towing capacity isn't enough to tow the boat. The Jeep Gladiator has a diesel option and higher towing capacity, but don't really want to drive a Jeep.
The following users liked this post:
RS-America (11-28-2020)
Old 11-28-2020, 12:51 AM
911-997
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts

I do have a new Bronco on order, but towing capacity isn't enough to tow the boat. The Jeep Gladiator has a diesel option and higher towing capacity, but don't really want to drive a Jeep.
If your cayenne is not giving you any problems and you still like it then stick to it and save money on the side in case a repair is needed in the future
The following users liked this post:
4ocious (11-28-2020)
Old 11-28-2020, 10:52 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 346 Posts

There's nothing out there that really does what the Cayenne Diesel does in terms of comfort, towing ability and economy. It's my wifes DD, I'm not sure what we're going to get next, I'm tempted to just keep it around as an extra vehicle. I may sell my Golf R and use it as my DD for a bit but I really want the new RS6 avant.
Old 11-28-2020, 06:49 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

I often wonder what I'd get if I did not need to tow but, I'm many years from getting rid of either the boat, the snowmobiles or the dirtbikes/motorcycles as I need the CD to tow all the fun-stuff.

I had a 2018 or a 2019 Panamera 4S that was awesome as a loaner. If I needed back seats and did not need the extra capacity that the Cayenne has for carrying all the crap I need to carry when traveling/for fun, a Panamera would be nice.

The 30 mpg hwy is very hard to beat along with the 26 gallon tank.
Old 11-28-2020, 07:59 PM
RS-America
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 100 Posts

We would keep our CD and RSA - issue for us is that the CD can only be driven in North America
Really liked how the new Bronco is set up out-of-the-box for extended long distance off-road travels. Impressed with the build quality of the two we got to see. Down sides are its new and it will take a while for parts and service to catch up outside of North America. Also looked at the new Defender - we were not impressed. Additionally Roman from TFC has had issues with their new Defender, working on their third replacement vehicle.
Did a 5k one way Arctic rally that Mel Wade (aka EVO) also competed in with his Jeep Gladiator. Was very impressed with how he modified and set his up with suspension upgrades, etc. Would not want one for long distance travels - though Dan Grec has done a bit in his Jeep Wrangler 80,000 miles in a circumnavigation of the African continent, solo and 40,000 mile, 22 month adventure in a Jeep Wrangler through 17 countries from Alaska to Argentina.
For our intended travels thru Central and South America we are leaning to an older Toyota Land Cruiser. Its capabilities first and reliability, parts, and ability to get service are the reasons. Our modified CD would be up for this trip if ULSD fuel were available.

Original vs new

Filson's had this one modified as a Forest Service Fire Truck - had a serious pump and fire fighting gear

Red Gladiator, Blue new Bronco, Green original Bronco in front of Filson's flagship store

Quick Reply: What to buy to replace 2013 CD