Sponsored By:

958 Plastic bits 'Another one bites the dust'

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2020, 08:49 PM
RS-America
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by garrett376
That "carriage" part holds the body-colored cap to the door, that's all! It is not what holds the handle to the door! Your arrow is pointing to a piece that is actually behind the handle once it's all put together.
Not sure then what holds the back (aft) part of the door handle
The only damage noted was the crack at the arrow. We replaced the entire assembly and tried the door handle -- It again came off as did the end cap.
We had not extended the 'carriage' far enough to fully engage the previous time. When we did and reassembled, the cap and door handle now remain attached. We could have inadvertently also done something else on reassembly - do not know. Do know that the door handle now does function and I no longer have to reach over to open the passenger door.
Old 11-24-2020, 10:39 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 606 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by RS-America
Not sure then what holds the back (aft) part of the door handle
The only damage noted was the crack at the arrow. We replaced the entire assembly and tried the door handle -- It again came off as did the end cap.
We had not extended the 'carriage' far enough to fully engage the previous time. When we did and reassembled, the cap and door handle now remain attached. We could have inadvertently also done something else on reassembly - do not know. Do know that the door handle now does function and I no longer have to reach over to open the passenger door.
They must not have seated the handle and the "carriage" properly if the rear cover then handle came out when pulling. The handle stays put as long as the cover stays put. I've fixed three of these rear door latches and all three had that small bridge broken that your arrow points to, but they all function totally fine despite having that cracked bridge part.
The following users liked this post:
RS-America (11-25-2020)
Old 02-16-2023, 12:38 PM
aututto
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Old thread I know but figured I'd bump this to share some of our recent interior bits that have been failing. Context, 203 CD with 180k, bought Porsche dealer in 2018, was a one owner california vehicle with 50k miles. Car is a daily driver, garaged in the midwest but parked outside daily for work.

Random, non mechanical failures:
1. Passenger door exterior handle broke (though this door was replaced from being hit in parking lot, could be cause.)
2. Leather on top of door cards starting to separate from foam backing
3. Cup holder plastic failed around the screws that hold it down, causing it to pop out
4. Traction/Sport buttons cracked (might be from our mini dachshund walking across them)
5. Rubberized coating around center stack showing bubbles (giving me flashbacks to my e92 m3 LOL)
6. Rubberized coating on PCM volume **** has become sticky
7. Anti Reflective coating came off of clock when trying to clean it

In all honesty though, these interiors age really well. Its crazy how well the leather has held up

Last edited by aututto; 02-16-2023 at 12:40 PM.
Needsdecaf (02-20-2023)
Old 02-18-2023, 05:40 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 132 Posts

Which cleaners you use can have a greatly negative effect on some plastics. Could that have contributed to the **** and center stack issues?

I agree with how well the interior holds up. My '17 has lived it's entire life outdoors and the interior looks absolutely no worse for the experience. The driver seat has a few wrinkles from getting in/out but that's about it.
lml999 (02-19-2023)
Old 02-19-2023, 09:11 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 740 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by aututto
Old thread I know ...
1. Passenger door exterior handle broke (though this door was replaced from being hit in parking lot, could be cause.)
Those of us that have been in the VW Audi Group a long time remember "Team Door Handle" with the Type 44s. The old Audi 5000/100 vehicles ate through door handles like nobody's business...
Old 02-20-2023, 05:25 PM
aututto
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by wkearney99
Which cleaners you use can have a greatly negative effect on some plastics. Could that have contributed to the **** and center stack issues?

I agree with how well the interior holds up. My '17 has lived it's entire life outdoors and the interior looks absolutely no worse for the experience. The driver seat has a few wrinkles from getting in/out but that's about it.
Totally get that, I've only ever used P&S Xpress interior cleaner which is pretty light to my understanding. I think at 180k and being a 10 year old vehicle now its more or less inevitable
Old 02-20-2023, 06:11 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,595 Likes on 1,613 Posts

Originally Posted by aututto
Old thread I know but figured I'd bump this to share some of our recent interior bits that have been failing. Context, 203 CD with 180k, bought Porsche dealer in 2018, was a one owner california vehicle with 50k miles. Car is a daily driver, garaged in the midwest but parked outside daily for work.

Random, non mechanical failures:
2. Leather on top of door cards starting to separate from foam backing
3. Cup holder plastic failed around the screws that hold it down, causing it to pop out
4. Traction/Sport buttons cracked (might be from our mini dachshund walking across them)
5. Rubberized coating around center stack showing bubbles (giving me flashbacks to my e92 m3 LOL)
6. Rubberized coating on PCM volume **** has become sticky
7. Anti Reflective coating came off of clock when trying to clean it

In all honesty though, these interiors age really well. Its crazy how well the leather has held up
2014 Cayenne with 119k miles. Garaged and parked in garage at work. Lived in TX all it's life.

2. we have (on dash).
6. I had and replaced.

That's it.

Now creaks, that's another story....
Old 02-21-2023, 12:42 AM
edde
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I had to replace my drivers side door cluster unit. Drivers window switch was literally cracked in half and it was just annoying. Most of the tabs were busted so it lifted right out. Last summer took a road trip and put
two passengers in the rear. Drivers side rear window switch came up and out out when guy tried to roll the window up AND the courtesy light lense fell off in a parking lot. I have one rear vent
that's busticated in some fashion.
Old 02-23-2023, 09:55 PM
fourthirteen
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

2013 Cayenne. In the last year I’ve had two window switches and the parking brake release button break.
Old 02-27-2023, 03:23 PM
coffeeisgood
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts

pick up a replacement set of ***** off AliExpress. They were like $25 shipped (from China) but I think they are even cheaper now.

replacement radio PCM 3.1 ***** "set" p/n ?

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...s-set-p-n.html

Old 02-28-2023, 11:53 PM
vwbrd
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

@coffeeisgood you inspired me to poker around on aliexpress and I ordered the window switch cluster for the driver door. it was about half the price of the ones on amazon and I wasn't desperate enough to order those and don't mind waiting a month or so for it to get here.

Quick Reply: 958 Plastic bits 'Another one bites the dust'