Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

"relieve steering" message and no-start?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2020, 02:40 PM
poller
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "relieve steering" message and no-start?

2011 CTT w/ 109K miles w/ smart key

About 50% of the time when I open the door and/or go to start the car, I get chimes and a message that says "relieve steering", and the car won't start. When this happens, half the time the message disappears in about 5 seconds and I can start the car. If the message stays on, I have to turn off the car, open and close the door to shut the system off, and then try again, and it usually works.

Anyone have a hint as to what is going on?

Old 09-21-2020, 03:08 PM
9000RPM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

https://www.planet-9.com/threads/rel...teering.15393/
Old 09-21-2020, 03:10 PM
mikegally
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 40 Posts

In the handbook under Warning messages it appears to relate to the steering lock ?

Relieve steering - 'relieve the steering lock by turning the steering wheel to the left or the right'

Not much use to you but gives you somewhere to start the diagnosis.
Old 09-21-2020, 04:16 PM
poller
8th Gear

Thanks...

21 posts of either "me too", "funny" or off-topic. Not one hint as to why or a long-term fix.

Old 09-21-2020, 04:20 PM
poller
8th Gear

Originally Posted by mikegally
In the handbook under Warning messages it appears to relate to the steering lock ?

Relieve steering - 'relieve the steering lock by turning the steering wheel to the left or the right'

Not much use to you but gives you somewhere to start the diagnosis.
Thanks. It's not so easy to turn the steering wheel on a 5,000 pound vehicle with 19" wheels without power assistance.

This started late in life - probably after 95k miles, so indicative of a worn or failing component. I was hoping someone with more Porsche knowledge than me could point the way to what I should look to repair/replace

Old 09-21-2020, 07:10 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,156 Likes on 764 Posts

If the lock on the steering assembly isn't directly in line with a lock position when you turn the car off, there will be side force on the locking cam (or pin) that will prevent it from sliding out of the lock assembly when you go to start the car. The car knows this - and wants you to relieve the pressure on that part by rocking the steering back and forth a tiny bit. The message is is giving you is a very accurate description of what is happening, actually unusual for a Porsche.
The following users liked this post:
Eskimo1 (09-23-2020)
Old 09-21-2020, 08:39 PM
poller
8th Gear

Originally Posted by deilenberger
If the lock on the steering assembly isn't directly in line with a lock position when you turn the car off
So how do I prevent this from happening?

Old 09-21-2020, 11:09 PM
kvec
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I have this happen relatively often, particularly if I don't lock the car. 2011 CTT w/ 109k. I hit the "lock" on the fob and unlock it again and it turns on normally. I believe I have a leak in my front suspension and had chalked it up to a droopy front end throwing the steering out of line while the car was sitting unused.
poller (09-22-2020)
Old 09-21-2020, 11:19 PM
poller
8th Gear

Originally Posted by kvec
I have this happen relatively often, particularly if I don't lock the car.
I got in the habit of locking my car all the time due to living in the San Francisco bay area where people break into your car if you leave a nickel in the coin tray.
2011 CTT w/ 109k. I hit the "lock" on the fob and unlock it again and it turns on normally.
I have the keyless entry so I never thought of trying this. Will see if this helps
I believe I have a leak in my front suspension and had chalked it up to a droopy front end throwing the steering out of line while the car was sitting unused.
I can check on this as well. No problem to have a tape measure and take note of the heights
Old 09-22-2020, 09:22 AM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

Interesting, my 11 CTT with 82K miles has been doing this for quite a while. It's frustrating. Since the front end air suspension was rebuilt I haven't noticed it. But I didn't correlate the two until this post.
poller (09-22-2020)
Old 09-22-2020, 10:40 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by kvec
I have this happen relatively often, particularly if I don't lock the car. 2011 CTT w/ 109k. I hit the "lock" on the fob and unlock it again and it turns on normally. I believe I have a leak in my front suspension and had chalked it up to a droopy front end throwing the steering out of line while the car was sitting unused.
That's an interesting angle (pun intended).

To check if it's repeatable I wonder if taking a measurement of the wheel arch height would be an indicator? As in, the left/right side drops by "a certain amount" and that tweaks the steering angle just enough to trip the error.
Old 09-22-2020, 10:47 AM
nashrek
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a thought. Are you moving the steering wheel while entering or exiting the vehicle? On cars with a steering wheel lock, this can often engage the ignition lock and the key cannot turn until you relieve pressure on the key by moving the wheel back and forth. This may be Porsche's way of using a traditional steering column lock, especially if you have entry and drive.
Old 09-22-2020, 12:00 PM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by nashrek
Just a thought. Are you moving the steering wheel while entering or exiting the vehicle? On cars with a steering wheel lock, this can often engage the ignition lock and the key cannot turn until you relieve pressure on the key by moving the wheel back and forth. This may be Porsche's way of using a traditional steering column lock, especially if you have entry and drive.
This right here. Most likely you are moving the steering wheel after car is turned off. Just make sure you have the wheel straight, turn car off and exit and you shouldn't lock the wheel again.
Old 09-22-2020, 02:38 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
If the lock on the steering assembly isn't directly in line with a lock position when you turn the car off, there will be side force on the locking cam (or pin) that will prevent it from sliding out of the lock assembly when you go to start the car. The car knows this - and wants you to relieve the pressure on that part by rocking the steering back and forth a tiny bit. The message is is giving you is a very accurate description of what is happening, actually unusual for a Porsche.
This. Every try to start a conventional keyed car with the pressure on the unlock? you have to move the wheel a bit to relieve the pressure, then it's smooth as normal.

Originally Posted by DAVfoto
This right here. Most likely you are moving the steering wheel after car is turned off. Just make sure you have the wheel straight, turn car off and exit and you shouldn't lock the wheel again.
You don't have to have the wheel straight. You should still turn into the curb parking downhill and away from the curb parking uphill. And the car may get jostled and put pressure on the lock, so you just have to move it a tiny bit, which should require little to no actual strength.
Old 09-23-2020, 03:20 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by poller
So how do I prevent this from happening?
Try this..
set the parking brake.
shift to neutral.
release foot brake.
shift to park.
then shut the car off.
don't use the steering wheel as a handle when getting in or out.

My bet is you're pulling on the wheel to get in and out, and/or the car is rolling a little after you turn the key off.

Quick Reply: "relieve steering" message and no-start?