Sponsored By:

958.2 Heated Steering wheel retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2020, 04:34 PM
volcanogts
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts
Default 958.2 Heated Steering wheel retrofit - Success

UPDATED- Please see below for actual parts and what is needed.

Hey everyone, I have a 2016 GTS and am missing my heated wheel from my Macan GTS. I bought a new heated wheel and the heated wheel button so I can disassemble my current wheel and reassemble everything onto the new wheel.

I am just having an issue with what exact part is needed.

I have read up and it seems like all the retrofits I have found are for the 958.1 style wheel or upgraded to the 958.2 style wheel in the older model. I already have the newer style so that module will not work and I have confirmed that with the company. I am not sure if I need only the clockspring with the power connector for the heated wheel or if I need the entire module with clockspring, wiper and turn signal stalk, etc.
Or do I need a completely different part that isn’t the clockspring? And do I need to buy a new part or is a used one acceptable?
And then on to coding it, what exactly needs to be coded? I have a launch x431 that does most coding and hopefully will do whatever is needed here as well.

thank you for any input or help with this in advance.

Now that I successfully have a heated wheel, here is what is needed.

-Heated wheel (I bought a slightly used all leather heated wheel, but it was bare, meaning it was leather, wires and metal, there was no trim, shift paddles, buttons, etc. I swapped all of my trim and components onto the new to me wheel. I had to buy a new lower back trim piece to include the heated wheel switch, part # 95B.951.527.6N3 at a cost of $35.77 shipped. You may be able to just buy a complete heated wheel as well and skip switching things over, buying the heated wheel switch, and possibly save you from having to buy a new steering wheel control module, BUT I can’t confirm that, you may need to buy a new module like I did) The heated wheel has wires that plug into the steering wheel control module, the heated wheel switch, and the clockspring for power.

-Clockspring with heated wheel power and ground pins. I used a complete used wiper stalk and clockspring assembly, part # 95B.953.568.A from a salvage 2017 cayenne platinum edition being parted out via eBay. The new stalks had voice control function which my car did not have. Now when I press voice control, it says on the radio function not active, I could pay the black market to get the activation code and see how that goes, but that’s not important to me now.

-I needed a new steering wheel control module part # 95B.959.256.E. My factory module was part # 95B.959.256 and while it accepted the coding for the heated wheel and accepted the activation code, and had the connector for the heated wheel, it would not allow the heated wheel to function.

-Access to PIWIS or in my case I used my Launch X431 Pro S mini. You will need to recalibrate the steering angle sensor and clear all the codes after the battery is disconnected to remove the airbag to replace the wheel. You will also need this to change some codings around in the steering wheel control module as well as the instrument cluster and enter the function activation code.

-Heated steering wheel Function activation code. This will come from the black market, an online place like code-porsche.com who will take your VIN and obtain the special function activation code that is specific to your vin. If someone were to do this retrofit, I would be curious if this is actually necessary. I’m wondering if you used a used heated wheel assembly with steering wheel control module pre programmed, if you need the code still or not.

Until a few more people do this and have more trial and error, it might be a bumpy road like I had.

I replaced the stalk and clockspring setup at the same time I switched the heated wheel and all my components over. When I first connected the battery and got rid of all the faults and did the steering angle sensor calibration, I noticed my steering wheel controls were working a bit backwards and not all functions worked. I had to change a setting in the steering wheel control module and got that back to normal, I am guessing that is a communication change between the up to 2016 pcm3.1 and from 2017 pcm4.0. The stalk/clockspring setup somehow had memory and coded the instrument cluster and steering wheel control module automatically somehow. I didn’t have to change the codings, I just confirmed it was all changed. I entered the activation code and it did not work. I replaced the steering wheel control module with a brand new one and didn’t have to code or change anything else, the heated whee just worked!

Last edited by volcanogts; 03-09-2021 at 08:21 PM.
Old 09-18-2020, 04:39 PM
volcanogts
Rennlist Member

I forgot to mention, looking at Porsche part websites like Delaware Porsche parts and Porsche perimeter parts, a new replacement clockspring does not specify for with or without heated wheel. Neither does the entire clockspring with turn signal stalks. That’s why I was wondering if all clockspring had the connnector for the heated wheel or if I needed something else.
Old 09-19-2020, 10:47 AM
volcanogts
Rennlist Member

I’ve done more digging and it seems it could be easier than I originally thought. At this point it looks like I only need a clockspring with the heated wheel power pins, part # 95B953568A or 95B953568C or 95B953568E from a 15-18 cayenne or Macan.

I already have the heated wheel and heated wheel switch. Once I find the clockspring and install it all I will need to do a steering angle sensor calibration and then code the steering wheel control module to accept the heated wheel.

I have a Launch X431s mini and confirmed last night it will do the steering angle calibration and I was able to get into the steering wheel control module to where it said heated wheel not installed. It let me change to installed, but would not write the code because it’s not yet installed hopefully.

I did also see a thread on a Macan where the person used a used clockspring and the steering wheel control module from another car with the heated wheel already coded and it worked for him, but still had to do the SAS calibration.

I will update as I go.
The following 2 users liked this post by volcanogts:
BallJack (09-19-2020), Mrg02D (09-20-2020)
Old 09-19-2020, 01:01 PM
markk132
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Good luck sir! I'm interested and will be following your journey
Old 10-09-2020, 12:13 PM
volcanogts
Rennlist Member

I now have the clockspring with the heated wheel
contacts, the heated wheel switch, and the heated wheel will be here next week and I will update on the outcome!

Old 10-10-2020, 06:09 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 243 Posts

Please let us know how it goes with the launch. Could you post the steps you took? Maybe screen shots? We have a launch coding thread in this forum.
Old 10-10-2020, 07:36 PM
volcanogts
Rennlist Member

Will do, that coding thread was what made me get rid of my autel and get the Launch when I had my Macan. I have already seen the steering sensor calibration and heated wheel active areas so I know I can get to them, just hoping it allows it, I tried to do both and it wouldn’t take on the wheel because it wasn’t installed yet hopefully and said the calibration was already done.
I will take screenshots of how I got the areas and post them.
Old 10-13-2020, 12:56 PM
volcanogts
Rennlist Member

The wheel should be here any time now.
Last night I disconnected the battery and removed the airbag and steering wheel. The column trim came off pretty easily, once the steering wheel is off, there are two square holes behind where the steering wheel is on the lower column cover, using a small screwdriver slightly push in through those holes to release tabs and the upper cover hinges at the rear and comes off. The lower cover had two screws and some tabs inside the column cover that have to be pressed and it slides down and off. Disconnect the one plug on the power column switch. There is a foam piece screwed up to the bottom of the column with two t-20 screws, remove those and the piece comes off. Now you can get to replace the clockspring. One black connector and one yellow airbag connector on the lower backside of the switch assembly. I bought a used clockspring and switch setup, identical to mine but also included voice control and the pins for the heated wheel harness.
The new and old setup had the exact same pins on the connector.
After the two connectors are released there is one Allen bolt, I think it was a 6? I forget. And the switch assembly slides toward you. Only goes on one way, it does not turn or anything, it will always be straight. Slide the new on on until it abruptly stops, tighten Allen, plug in 2 connectors, reassemble column trim. The foam piece goes on with the two screws, make sure the harness for the column adjust is still there. Clip the lower colum trim on on the sides, and then screw in the two screws. The upper trim piece was a PITA to get back on. It doesn’t hinge down like it hinges up off. To put it back on it slides straight down into place, but as it slides down you have to make sure it aligns with the bottom of the column trim behind the stalks. Took 10 minutes fiddling to get it right.
I then disassembled steering wheel down to the metal frame and am waiting on the new wheel which should be arriving shortly.

Last edited by volcanogts; 10-13-2020 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10-13-2020, 05:48 PM
volcanogts
Rennlist Member

Okay, have everything swapped to the new wheel, new wheel is installed, battery back on, cleared faults and performed steering angle sensor adaptation, all is good and back to normal.
The clockspring and switch setup I bought is from a 2017 Cayenne. I have a 2016. 2017 has the PCM4.0 and a newer instrument cluster display with more pixels and different menus. So my diamond button worked, but neither telephone buttons or the back button worked at all, and now my right scroll wheel controlled volume and left scroll wheel controlled up and down cluster screens, but neither would click.
I got that recoded, there are two different communication protocols, I swapped it and all buttons are working properly again.

The steering wheel control module plugs into the clockspring assembly, and then the main car harness plugs into the clockspring. So it applied changes that the donor car the switch setup came out of, changed the communication protocol and it also coded the control module to have the heated wheel active. But it doesn’t work.
The voice control button works, but on the radio screen it says function not active. This is making me wonder, I believe the steering wheel control module has to be both coded and an activated for it to work.
I am going to keep working on this and get back to everyone.
Old 10-16-2020, 04:09 PM
don16
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by volcanogts
Okay, have everything swapped to the new wheel, new wheel is installed, battery back on, cleared faults and performed steering angle sensor adaptation, all is good and back to normal.
The clockspring and switch setup I bought is from a 2017 Cayenne. I have a 2016. 2017 has the PCM4.0 and a newer instrument cluster display with more pixels and different menus. So my diamond button worked, but neither telephone buttons or the back button worked at all, and now my right scroll wheel controlled volume and left scroll wheel controlled up and down cluster screens, but neither would click.
I got that recoded, there are two different communication protocols, I swapped it and all buttons are working properly again.

The steering wheel control module plugs into the clockspring assembly, and then the main car harness plugs into the clockspring. So it applied changes that the donor car the switch setup came out of, changed the communication protocol and it also coded the control module to have the heated wheel active. But it doesn’t work.
The voice control button works, but on the radio screen it says function not active. This is making me wonder, I believe the steering wheel control module has to be both coded and an activated for it to work.
I am going to keep working on this and get back to everyone.
How you getting on? Any closer to finishing it.
Old 10-16-2020, 04:23 PM
volcanogts
Rennlist Member

I’ve been working with quite a few people in the coding thread and then a few online places.

I am waiting on a new steering wheel control module at this point.

In summary of what has been done/needed so far...

-Heated steering wheel
-Heated wheel switch if you don’t get a complete wheel
-Clockspring with heated wheel power and ground pins (I used a complete clockspring and stalk assembly from a used car)
-PIWIS or Launch Computer to clear codes and recalibrate steering angle sensor, make sure steering wheel and instrument cluster are coded for the wheel and most importantly to input the activation code for heated wheel. (Activation code can only be obtained off the grey market porsche-code.com )

Everything I have touched is working like normal, no changes to any buttons or stalks, car is totally normal at this point but the wheel doesn’t work yet.

It looks like a new uncoded steering wheel control module is needed in my case. My factory module will accept the coding but won’t allow the wheel to work, and does not recognize when the heated wheel button is pressed. Another member ran into the same issue, everything coded and activated but a no go, replaced the module with a new one, didn’t even have to code anything and it instantly worked. So I am hopefully that will work in my case as well.
Old 10-20-2020, 10:20 AM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Received 322 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by volcanogts
I’ve been working with quite a few people in the coding thread and then a few online places.

I am waiting on a new steering wheel control module at this point.

In summary of what has been done/needed so far...

-Heated steering wheel
-Heated wheel switch if you don’t get a complete wheel
-Clockspring with heated wheel power and ground pins (I used a complete clockspring and stalk assembly from a used car)
-PIWIS or Launch Computer to clear codes and recalibrate steering angle sensor, make sure steering wheel and instrument cluster are coded for the wheel and most importantly to input the activation code for heated wheel. (Activation code can only be obtained off the grey market porsche-code.com )

Everything I have touched is working like normal, no changes to any buttons or stalks, car is totally normal at this point but the wheel doesn’t work yet.

It looks like a new uncoded steering wheel control module is needed in my case. My factory module will accept the coding but won’t allow the wheel to work, and does not recognize when the heated wheel button is pressed. Another member ran into the same issue, everything coded and activated but a no go, replaced the module with a new one, didn’t even have to code anything and it instantly worked. So I am hopefully that will work in my case as well.
And all this for a $199 option. Shame on Porsche for having this standard...I have the Platinum. Platinum my axx. My BMW 4.4 in 2006 had this standard.
Old 10-26-2020, 06:04 PM
volcanogts
Rennlist Member

I HAVE HEAT!!!!

Check out the initial post, I updated it with the steps and parts needed to retrofit a heated wheel on a 958.2.
The following 2 users liked this post by volcanogts:
jayi836 (03-01-2021), lml999 (11-10-2021)
Old 10-26-2020, 10:58 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,153 Likes on 764 Posts

Thanks much for the documentation - it's been edited a tad, and is now a DIY in our DIY forum: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...-retrofit.html
The following users liked this post:
volcanogts (10-26-2020)
Old 10-26-2020, 11:19 PM
911-997
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. G7
And all this for a $199 option. Shame on Porsche for having this standard...I have the Platinum. Platinum my axx. My BMW 4.4 in 2006 had this standard.
Welcome to Porsche Club! Where everything is an option !

Quick Reply: 958.2 Heated Steering wheel retrofit