Sponsored By:

958.2 Heated Steering wheel retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2021, 05:08 AM
don16
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by volcanogts
UPDATED- Please see below for actual parts and what is needed.

Hey everyone, I have a 2016 GTS and am missing my heated wheel from my Macan GTS. I bought a new heated wheel and the heated wheel button so I can disassemble my current wheel and reassemble everything onto the new wheel.

I am just having an issue with what exact part is needed.

I have read up and it seems like all the retrofits I have found are for the 958.1 style wheel or upgraded to the 958.2 style wheel in the older model. I already have the newer style so that module will not work and I have confirmed that with the company. I am not sure if I need only the clockspring with the power connector for the heated wheel or if I need the entire module with clockspring, wiper and turn signal stalk, etc.
Or do I need a completely different part that isn’t the clockspring? And do I need to buy a new part or is a used one acceptable?
And then on to coding it, what exactly needs to be coded? I have a launch x431 that does most coding and hopefully will do whatever is needed here as well.

thank you for any input or help with this in advance.

Now that I successfully have a heated wheel, here is what is needed.

-Heated wheel (I bought a slightly used all leather heated wheel, but it was bare, meaning it was leather, wires and metal, there was no trim, shift paddles, buttons, etc. I swapped all of my trim and components onto the new to me wheel. I had to buy a new lower back trim piece to include the heated wheel switch, part # 95B.951.527.6N3 at a cost of $35.77 shipped. You may be able to just buy a complete heated wheel as well and skip switching things over, buying the heated wheel switch, and possibly save you from having to buy a new steering wheel control module, BUT I can’t confirm that, you may need to buy a new module like I did) The heated wheel has wires that plug into the steering wheel control module, the heated wheel switch, and the clockspring for power.

-Clockspring with heated wheel power and ground pins. I used a complete used wiper stalk and clockspring assembly, part # 95B.953.568.A from a salvage 2017 cayenne platinum edition being parted out via eBay. The new stalks had voice control function which my car did not have. Now when I press voice control, it says on the radio function not active, I could pay the black market to get the activation code and see how that goes, but that’s not important to me now.

-I needed a new steering wheel control module part # 95B.959.256.E. My factory module was part # 95B.959.256 and while it accepted the coding for the heated wheel and accepted the activation code, and had the connector for the heated wheel, it would not allow the heated wheel to function.

-Access to PIWIS or in my case I used my Launch X431 Pro S mini. You will need to recalibrate the steering angle sensor and clear all the codes after the battery is disconnected to remove the airbag to replace the wheel. You will also need this to change some codings around in the steering wheel control module as well as the instrument cluster and enter the function activation code.

-Heated steering wheel Function activation code. This will come from the black market, an online place like code-porsche.com who will take your VIN and obtain the special function activation code that is specific to your vin. If someone were to do this retrofit, I would be curious if this is actually necessary. I’m wondering if you used a used heated wheel assembly with steering wheel control module pre programmed, if you need the code still or not.

Until a few more people do this and have more trial and error, it might be a bumpy road like I had.

I replaced the stalk and clockspring setup at the same time I switched the heated wheel and all my components over. When I first connected the battery and got rid of all the faults and did the steering angle sensor calibration, I noticed my steering wheel controls were working a bit backwards and not all functions worked. I had to change a setting in the steering wheel control module and got that back to normal, I am guessing that is a communication change between the up to 2016 pcm3.1 and from 2017 pcm4.0. The stalk/clockspring setup somehow had memory and coded the instrument cluster and steering wheel control module automatically somehow. I didn’t have to change the codings, I just confirmed it was all changed. I entered the activation code and it did not work. I replaced the steering wheel control module with a brand new one and didn’t have to code or change anything else, the heated whee just worked!

Hi - I am going to attempt this retro fit soon and was wondering if you can provide a picture of the slip ring required or the difference between a heated and non heated slip ring? I have now sourced a steering wheel which is complete (actually from a Gen 3 Macan so has the sports dials on the side)
Old 10-28-2022, 04:01 PM
Gachnar
2nd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this is an old thread, and the number of people crazy enough to spend a lot of money retrofitting a $250 option is small, but wanted to add a couple things from my experience this week. This thread and one on Macanforum were a huge help.

First the relevant parts of the Service Guide:

270619 - Removing and Installing Battery

695819 - Removing and Installing Driver’s Airbag Unit

481019 - Removing and Installing Steering Wheel

482919 - Removing and Installing Switch for Height and Fore and Aft Adjustment

481319 - Removing and Installing Steering Column Casing

945019 - Removing and Installing Steering-Column Switch

Second, I encountered the same issue as VolcanoGTS where after putting in the new wheel my volume and scroll buttons were flipped and the other features (diamond button, back, phone controls) weren't working. The fix was a setting in Steering Wheel Electronics > Coding value--Coding byte --SBT key code signal. In my case I had to change this from Multifunctional steering series to Mlbevo (there were only the two options). After that everything worked as normal again. Figured it may save someone else time digging through menus.
The following users liked this post:
waterpanda (12-29-2022)

Quick Reply: 958.2 Heated Steering wheel retrofit