Sponsored By:

Transfer Case Warranty Extension

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2020, 04:49 PM
dc1225
Burning Brakes

Received 111 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by gregeast
If you can get it covered, I would go ahead and get a replacement case. As best I understand it, the issues are caused by water getting into the case due to the original vent design, which then causes the clutch plates to rust and grab. Changing the TC oil helps and mostly solves the issue but an even better solution would be to get the TC replaced (hopefully with the new vent design) and then STILL do oil changes on some regular basis, so you are starting out with fresh clutch plates.
ok I will. Thanks for the explanation.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:24 PM
Mrg02D
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Just got the verdict: My TC is in bad shape and is being replaced under CPO warranty. It’s the original and has 63k miles on it, so I’m impressed. Dealer says they are swapping it out completely...They also said that they are seeing so many now that they should be able to get the new TC in tomorrow.

got a 2020 Cayenne base to drive around till then. I am definitely in love with the new design! So much more advanced and nicer styling. I’m impressed by the pep in this base engine too. Feels as fast as my 2015 S.

I don’t think that I like the new shifter. It’s weird AF.

Can’t wait for a smooth ride again.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:19 PM
dc1225
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mrg02D
Just got the verdict: My TC is in bad shape and is being replaced under CPO warranty. It’s the original and has 63k miles on it, so I’m impressed. Dealer says they are swapping it out completely...They also said that they are seeing so many now that they should be able to get the new TC in tomorrow.

got a 2020 Cayenne base to drive around till then. I am definitely in love with the new design! So much more advanced and nicer styling. I’m impressed by the pep in this base engine too. Feels as fast as my 2015 S.

Lovely. Really? You would seriously consider another with this TC issue? P must have put a spell on you.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:23 PM
dc1225
Burning Brakes

Now, I didn’t say I wouldn’t consider Carrera 4S. If I can fit in the danm thing. 3 out of 4 cars I sat in at the stealership, my head stuck out like a giraffe. I don’t know what they were. It was overpriced.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:33 PM
Mrg02D
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by dc1225
Now, I didn’t say I wouldn’t consider Carrera 4S. If I can fit in the danm thing. 3 out of 4 cars I sat in at the stealership, my head stuck out like a giraffe. I don’t know what they were. It was overpriced.
Im 6’1” and fit perfectly in my boxster, so a 911 wouldn’t be any problem:-)

Porsche definitely impressed me with this 2020 Cayenne, but not enough to switch. I’m happy to see what I will, one day, be upgrading to...

Edit: I think I could adjust to this, weird, shifter that they have gone to...

Last edited by Mrg02D; 09-21-2020 at 08:35 PM.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:38 PM
dc1225
Burning Brakes

Im 6’1” and fit perfectly in my boxster, so a 911 wouldn’t be any problem:-)

Porsche definitely impressed me with this 2020 Cayenne, but not enough to switch. I’m happy to see what I will, one day, be upgrading to...

Edit: I think I could adjust to this, weird, shifter that they have gone to...
I am 6 1 as well and I like to drive with bottom seat all the way back in most vehicles usually. I like Cayman but could not fit into that one for sure.
Old 10-12-2020, 11:37 PM
projectAM
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gregeast
If you can get it covered, I would go ahead and get a replacement case. As best I understand it, the issues are caused by water getting into the case due to the original vent design, which then causes the clutch plates to rust and grab. Changing the TC oil helps and mostly solves the issue but an even better solution would be to get the TC replaced (hopefully with the new vent design) and then STILL do oil changes on some regular basis, so you are starting out with fresh clutch plates.
I picked up my ’13 GTS with 82k miles in August 2019. After a few thousand miles it began to exhibit transfer case symptoms – though, I wasn’t positive considering it being new to me and not knowing the full history of drivetrain maintenance.

I’ve changed the TC fluid three times since then and only driven 7,000 miles (overkill, maybe) and each time the fluid has been very dark in color.

Knowing the extended warranty became available for the TC, I took it in for evaluation end of September. The SA was briefed on the slipping, “clunking” or delay of engagement from forward to reverse as well as the shuddering felt on various drives. Below are the tech notes verbatim:

Transmission fluid level low. Checked faults. Created val. No faults stored. Test drove vehicle and duplicated 1-2, 3-2 firm shift. Performed SY 84/17 and found issue not in transfer case (Does this truly eliminate possible problem(s) with the TC?). Check transmission software level and update available. Updated DME/Tiptronic software and test drove again–issue still present. Checked transmission fluid level and found low. Topped off and test drove – transmission shifting properly.

This is a fine conclusion, but why is the fluid so dark after 3/changes in 7,000 miles - or is that normal? When I got the vehicle home, I performed the following test.

I pulled in to my driveway (slope ranges from 25-30 degrees) and proceed around 1-2 mph. When the slope rises to its steepest angle the cayenne suddenly stops (throttle position remains same). I apply incremental throttle (~200-400 rpms) and it engages again (something is clearly slipping). With the service I just received, would this point more towards transmission or the TC? Just thinking about how to approach my SA since I’m still having an issue.
Old 10-12-2020, 11:57 PM
dc1225
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by projectAM
I picked up my ’13 GTS with 82k miles in August 2019. After a few thousand miles it began to exhibit transfer case symptoms – though, I wasn’t positive considering it being new to me and not knowing the full history of drivetrain maintenance.

I’ve changed the TC fluid three times since then and only driven 7,000 miles (overkill, maybe) and each time the fluid has been very dark in color.

Knowing the extended warranty became available for the TC, I took it in for evaluation end of September. The SA was briefed on the slipping, “clunking” or delay of engagement from forward to reverse as well as the shuddering felt on various drives. Below are the tech notes verbatim:

Transmission fluid level low. Checked faults. Created val. No faults stored. Test drove vehicle and duplicated 1-2, 3-2 firm shift. Performed SY 84/17 and found issue not in transfer case (Does this truly eliminate possible problem(s) with the TC?). Check transmission software level and update available. Updated DME/Tiptronic software and test drove again–issue still present. Checked transmission fluid level and found low. Topped off and test drove – transmission shifting properly.

This is a fine conclusion, but why is the fluid so dark after 3/changes in 7,000 miles - or is that normal? When I got the vehicle home, I performed the following test.

I pulled in to my driveway (slope ranges from 25-30 degrees) and proceed around 1-2 mph. When the slope rises to its steepest angle the cayenne suddenly stops (throttle position remains same). I apply incremental throttle (~200-400 rpms) and it engages again (something is clearly slipping). With the service I just received, would this point more towards transmission or the TC? Just thinking about how to approach my SA since I’m still having an issue.

Thanks for sharing. I hope a technical person will chime in here. Was the car driving ok after you did the 3 changes?
Old 10-13-2020, 12:06 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,155 Likes on 764 Posts

That's an interesting test - I wonder which end of the transmission the pressure pump is at? If it's at the input - it's possible that steep an angle might cause the pump to suck air - and loose forward motion. FWIW - the oddest thing my CTT ever did was when I went down a 45-degree slope. About halfway down it felt like the transmission disengaged (I didn't have it in hill-hold mode) - then when I got to the bottom and leveled out it reengaged and newer did this again. I'm sure the pump was sucking air..
Old 10-13-2020, 12:36 AM
projectAM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dc1225
Thanks for sharing. I hope a technical person will chime in here. Was the car driving ok after you did the 3 changes?
It appeared to drive better for awhile but the mild clunk from reverse to forward returns as I do a multi-point maneuver to enter my garage. Driveway is perpendicular to garage and the turning area is limited.
Old 10-13-2020, 12:43 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 471 Posts

In any car if you start going up a big hill at any speed with no increase in throttle, you'll slow down, no? And if you're only going 1-2mph to start with, and go up an increasing incline and don't add any throttle, coming to a stop doesn't sound like anything abnormal. If your Cayenne was a stick shift, you'd stall the engine.

Transfer case issues having to do with the clutches not working properly are noticed with jerking or stuttering on acceleration that disappears when unplugging the motor/control unit. A clunk when shifting the transmission is a transmission/driveline issue outside of the transfer case.
Old 10-13-2020, 12:53 AM
Scott C
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Bueller? Bueller?

Has anyone that submitted a refund request heard anything from Porsche yet? It’s been about 4 weeks since I submitted mine and other than the confirmation page I printed when I submitted, I haven’t heard anything at all.

-SC

eta: I got a confirmation email from epiq, too. Moments after submitting.

Last edited by Scott C; 10-13-2020 at 12:57 AM.
Old 10-13-2020, 12:55 AM
projectAM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by deilenberger
That's an interesting test - I wonder which end of the transmission the pressure pump is at? If it's at the input - it's possible that steep an angle might cause the pump to suck air - and loose forward motion. FWIW - the oddest thing my CTT ever did was when I went down a 45-degree slope. About halfway down it felt like the transmission disengaged (I didn't have it in hill-hold mode) - then when I got to the bottom and leveled out it reengaged and newer did this again. I'm sure the pump was sucking air..
Sounds very possible - I don't drive it much since our office is now WFH. I need to get it out more often and hopefully gather more real world data since the ATF was topped off.
Old 10-13-2020, 12:58 AM
dc1225
Burning Brakes

It appeared to drive better for awhile but the mild clunk from reverse to forward returns as I do a multi-point maneuver to enter my garage. Driveway is perpendicular to garage and the turning area is limited.
Pretty certain, it sounds like you need a TC replacement. I don't think anyone's had dark black fluids after 3 changes let alone within 7k miles. If it were me, I'd wait a little while hopefully it'll get worse and more pronounced. I'd go into the dealership(same one or different one) immediately complaining about the transfer case and state all of the symptoms whether you have it or not. Tell them that you know its transfer case problem from your research and it is under warranty and you'd like to have it replaced as such. Go straight for the jugular. Good luck and let us know what you do.
Old 10-13-2020, 01:07 AM
projectAM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by garrett376
In any car if you start going up a big hill at any speed with no increase in throttle, you'll slow down, no? And if you're only going 1-2mph to start with, and go up an increasing incline and don't add any throttle, coming to a stop doesn't sound like anything abnormal. If your Cayenne was a stick shift, you'd stall the engine.

Transfer case issues having to do with the clutches not working properly are noticed with jerking or stuttering on acceleration that disappears when unplugging the motor/control unit. A clunk when shifting the transmission is a transmission/driveline issue outside of the transfer case.
I should state it’s more like 2-3 mph but not over that. The stop is sudden without a noticeable decrease in speed.

Quick Reply: Transfer Case Warranty Extension