Sponsored By:

CD owners please chime in

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2020, 11:26 PM
911-997
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts
Default CD owners please chime in

2 weeks ago, I got a CEL with flashing glow plug. With icarscan I checked codes and found high pressure fuel pump code. I l’ve have asked forum if anyone had a clue but I got almost no response.

Took it to Porsche dealership near my area since I have dieselgate warranty. After 2 days of trying to diagnose the issue, they blamed what they call “aftermarket” fuel filter which I replaced 1k miles ago that I bought from Amazon (MANN filter) and want to charge me $400 something for this saying warranty does not cover this. I told them first of all I didn’t authorize to do this change. Second, there is no way a fuel filter would throw this error. I have told them many Porsche parts are made by MANN so it is NOT really aftermarket part. They are insisting that this is the problem and error code is gone (or for now at least) and I refused this solution saying this is not going to solve the problem and problem will retun next day i start the car.

Can a dealership do a change like this without asking me first knowing they wont use warranty on this? They already know the reason I am here because of warranty I have and not willing to come for service to pay if it is outside warranty.

Anyone faced similar issue? What should I do about it?
Old 08-19-2020, 09:27 AM
yetti96
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

So they changed the filter as a part of the diagnosis? When you dropped it off was there a dollar amount you initialed or signed next to to authorize a diag? I assume no because it was presumed to be a warranty issue.
Perhaps have them or you drive it for a few days and see if it pops up? Did they toss your nearly new filter?

I had an issue like this with a Cadillac in the past but it was a cheaper issue and it took a lot of arguing and discussion with the Service Manager. I had to pay to pick my car up. I then explained that I was paying for something I don't agree with to get my car that was being held hostage. I was sent a refund for my charges, but it left a very sour taste in my mouth with that dealership.
Old 08-19-2020, 10:35 AM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

As a last resort, if you don't get a resolution to your liking you can also file a complaint with the BBB regarding the dealer. The BBB in itself is pretty useless but I know from prior experience that the dealership will not like the image and it can spur further discussion.
Old 08-19-2020, 10:53 AM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

I would ask them to show you the failed part and explain how it caused the issue. Given that it ran fine on this filter for 1000 miles it seems unlikely that is the root cause unless it is actually plugged with debris which should be easy enough to show. I'm guessing they will have conveniently thrown the filter away though.

Unfortunately you are probably going to be stuck paying something for this "fix". I'd stress that you are not happy about this outcome, that they should have called to get the Ok when it went from warranty to billing you and that now that you have an OEM filter you don't want to hear any crap if/when the CEL comes back on. I'd also stress you want to be sure you bought the correct filter and didn't screw something up (unlikely with a fuel filter change but, still) prior to raising too much hell with them.

FYI, I've been running a Mahle (not mann) filter with no problems for 15K miles.

Last edited by hotrod2448; 08-19-2020 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-19-2020, 11:12 AM
Streetmasters
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Makes me think I might need to run OEM parts until my CPO or diesel warranty runs out, just to be safe against claims like these. Crazy
Old 08-19-2020, 11:56 AM
yetti96
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Just to add more support for the MANN.

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...d-comparo.html
Old 08-19-2020, 12:40 PM
911-997
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hotrod2448
I would ask them to show you the failed part and explain how it caused the issue. Given that it ran fine on this filter for 1000 miles it seems unlikely that is the root cause unless it is actually plugged with debris which should be easy enough to show. I'm guessing they will have conveniently thrown the filter away though.

Unfortunately you are probably going to be stuck paying something for this "fix". I'd stress that you are not happy about this outcome, that they should have called to get the Ok when it went from warranty to billing you and that now that you have an OEM filter you don't want to hear any crap if/when the CEL comes back on. I'd also stress you want to be sure you bought the correct filter and didn't screw something up (unlikely with a fuel filter change but, still) prior to raising too much hell with them.

FYI, I've been running a Mahle (not mann) filter with no problems for 15K miles.
Filter is not the issue and I am 100% certain of that because I had it for ~1000 miles. Plus this MANN filter is exactly the Porsche OEM filter without the Porsche Logo ( if it actually has a Porsche logo).

I find this ridiculous as this is first of all not the problem and second they are blaming aftermarket part for an issue so that they don’t want to bill the warranty. I actually have

I am still going to fight that as I did not authorize this change and this problem is not the fix. Of course if they have asked me before they did the change, I would have not authorized it. I actually have the paper of my signature showing this is zero cost repair and when I dropped this to thr dealership

Worst comes to worst, I contact Porsche NA about this
Old 08-19-2020, 02:06 PM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by 911-997
Filter is not the issue and I am 100% certain of that because I had it for ~1000 miles. Plus this MANN filter is exactly the Porsche OEM filter without the Porsche Logo ( if it actually has a Porsche logo).

I find this ridiculous as this is first of all not the problem and second they are blaming aftermarket part for an issue so that they don’t want to bill the warranty. I actually have

I am still going to fight that as I did not authorize this change and this problem is not the fix. Of course if they have asked me before they did the change, I would have not authorized it. I actually have the paper of my signature showing this is zero cost repair and when I dropped this to thr dealership

Worst comes to worst, I contact Porsche NA about this
I'm agreeing with you. You can read my posts and see I'm not a fan of the crap dealers pull to extract money from customers. I don't believe the filter or the installation is the issue either, hence my suggestion of asking them to show you the defective part and explain how they determined this part caused the problem. I'm guessing they just assumed the filter had not been changed and it was the easiest place to start. I also guessing they will not be able to produce this part which helps your argument. Basically building towards "So you can't show me the problem. I just need to trust you and pay your extortionate labor rate for what shouldn't be more than a $50 part and less than an hour of shop time."

Unfortunately if the condition appears to be fixed by the new filter, at least for now, about the only leg you have to stand on is not authorizing them to do billable work. That said I'm guessing if they want to play hardball you'll be paying something (maybe not the full amount) to get your vehicle back. Maybe you could argue towards getting some of that money back if the CEl comes back on in the near future as you could then possibly prove they did not fix the root cause of the issue. I would not expect Porsche NA to be much help in this matter but, maybe they'll send you a coffee mug or something for troubles.

Good luck getting things resolved.

Last edited by hotrod2448; 08-19-2020 at 02:08 PM.
Old 08-19-2020, 03:18 PM
lightemup67
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I'd definitely argue hard and maybe suggest that you will pay if the CEL stays off for another 1,000 miles? I know you don't think it could have been the filter (it does seem ridiculous, I've used Mann for the last 2 I've replaced), but if the light stays off, then I guess that's good right?

As a worst case scenario, you could offer to split the $400?

Dealers are the worst. I thought buying a car with a warranty would be a good idea but I've spent far too much time and energy arguing with mine about repairs and their effort to diagnose things. I'd rather fix it myself.

Old 08-19-2020, 03:19 PM
911-997
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hotrod2448
I'm agreeing with you. You can read my posts and see I'm not a fan of the crap dealers pull to extract money from customers. I don't believe the filter or the installation is the issue either, hence my suggestion of asking them to show you the defective part and explain how they determined this part caused the problem. I'm guessing they just assumed the filter had not been changed and it was the easiest place to start. I also guessing they will not be able to produce this part which helps your argument. Basically building towards "So you can't show me the problem. I just need to trust you and pay your extortionate labor rate for what shouldn't be more than a $50 part and less than an hour of shop time."

Unfortunately if the condition appears to be fixed by the new filter, at least for now, about the only leg you have to stand on is not authorizing them to do billable work. That said I'm guessing if they want to play hardball you'll be paying something (maybe not the full amount) to get your vehicle back. Maybe you could argue towards getting some of that money back if the CEl comes back on in the near future as you could then possibly prove they did not fix the root cause of the issue. I would not expect Porsche NA to be much help in this matter but, maybe they'll send you a coffee mug or something for troubles.

Good luck getting things resolved.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will report back once I pickup the car. It is just I hate arguing with dealerships or any sales/services in that matter. The fact they already did it without asking me and passing charges on me is driving me crazy.

Old 08-19-2020, 04:12 PM
Sudar
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Didn't want to start new thread. I also have an issue with dealer now. Car is throwing DPF code and it needs to be replaced. They reset my ECU and told me to pick up the car, saying that Porsche does not authorize DPF replacements unless code comes back again. I've never heard any of any dealer reseting codes and sending customers home before. And on top of this, this is the 3rd time DPF code comes up, but they still want it to come back for the 4th time now.

Sounds like a solid lawsuit where VW is trying to save a few bucks by not honoring dieselgate warranty.

Last edited by Sudar; 08-19-2020 at 04:15 PM.
Old 08-19-2020, 04:31 PM
DarkHorseMC
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Sudar
Didn't want to start new thread. I also have an issue with dealer now. Car is throwing DPF code and it needs to be replaced. They reset my ECU and told me to pick up the car, saying that Porsche does not authorize DPF replacements unless code comes back again. I've never heard any of any dealer reseting codes and sending customers home before. And on top of this, this is the 3rd time DPF code comes up, but they still want it to come back for the 4th time now.

Sounds like a solid lawsuit where VW is trying to save a few bucks by not honoring dieselgate warranty.
How many miles are on your CD?
Old 08-19-2020, 07:11 PM
Sudar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DarkHorseMC
How many miles are on your CD?
Old 08-19-2020, 09:41 PM
Sudar
Rennlist Member

There is something fishy.....dealership is making up stories like some small crappy used car dealer. I contacted Porsche to see what they say. Car is sitting on the lot for 2 days now....I am waiting for answers. So far none of this makes any sense to me.

Edit: what a crown show. Porsche of America just refuses to call me while dealership is saying they already spoke with PoA and they can't do anything to help me. Every time i call Porsche, rep thats on the case is busy for entire week now and doesn't pick up the phone. ****ing pathetic

Last edited by Sudar; 08-24-2020 at 01:05 PM.
Old 08-20-2020, 03:27 AM
911-997
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sudar
There is something fishy.....dealership is making up stories like some small crappy used car dealer. I contacted Porsche to see what they say. Car is sitting on the lot for 2 days now....I am waiting for answers. So far none of this makes any sense to me.
Thats exactly my thoughts. VW should be honoring any issues related to dieselgates but now I feel they are trying to make excuses to not fix issues and pass it to you. When I dropped my car for CEL, I was under the impression that I wont be paying a penny but then I got this bill.

Now this will make me think twice before dropping it to the dealership if another CEL comes again.

Quick Reply: CD owners please chime in