Sponsored By:

Adding Remote Start?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2022, 01:04 AM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Received 174 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by TMC.
My Cayenne is my winter car. I spent an easy grand just buying the crap to get a 3rd key programmed. (and I 'still' don't have one) If there's a new and improved way I'm all ears.

I'm all ears to understand why you need 3 keys, 3 drivers?
Old 05-20-2022, 01:15 AM
palomino6294
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by F SANE IL
I'm all ears to understand why you need 3 keys, 3 drivers?
I think he wants 3 keys because for the kit I linked, you need to have 1 key "hidden" with the module. This so it can "trick" the vehicle in thinking the key is in the ignition and be able to fire up. The 2nd key world be the actual physical key you use to unlock the vehicle, you then need to turn the ignition to the on position using the 2nd key in order to drive off.
The 3rd key world act like a spare key you keep in your house??
The following users liked this post:
TMC. (05-20-2022)
Old 05-21-2022, 10:18 AM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Received 174 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by palomino6294
I think he wants 3 keys because for the kit I linked, you need to have 1 key "hidden" with the module. This so it can "trick" the vehicle in thinking the key is in the ignition and be able to fire up. The 2nd key world be the actual physical key you use to unlock the vehicle, you then need to turn the ignition to the on position using the 2nd key in order to drive off.
The 3rd key world act like a spare key you keep in your house??
Interesting, but doesn't seem too safe. These days with scanners, they copy your key and drive off. With key being in the car, what stopping them now? Literally easier theft
Old 05-21-2022, 10:36 AM
TMC.
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Interesting, but doesn't seem too safe. These days with scanners, they copy your key and drive off. With the key being in the car, what stopping them now? Literally easier theft
I'm relatively sure it's not like a Chrysler. The two different key readers I purchased (new) couldn't write the type of key Cayenne uses or even read my Z06 key. They both read my Gladiator's key.
Now, if someone were to break in, rummage through the car, find the key, and I assume the battery you left in the console for it, then yea.
Your car is gone.
My Cayenne is put away for the summer, but does the steering wheel lock?
That's another one of the things that made Chargers and Challengers so easy to steal, none of the steering wheels locked.
Before the key cloners were as common, they'd just push them away with a stolen Jeep or Pickup.
I essentially live in Detroit, a friend of mine, worked at the Jefferson Ave plant, part of her duties was inventorying the Jeeps in the holding yard.
She would get soooo pissed off because every time one was missing, she'd have to canvass for it again to make sure it was gone. (they were) lol

Last edited by TMC.; 05-21-2022 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-16-2024, 03:38 PM
Jp22jr
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's to stop someone from driving away

I'm sure that's only for those with keyless Go. But what stops someone from using that in car key from driving away?
I'm seeing that they take the battery out and only use the start signal to start the car. The remote is virtually a dead remote other than the start signal.

Quick Reply: Adding Remote Start?