Sponsored By:

Timing adjustment question

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2024, 01:24 PM
Mr. Ken
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing adjustment question

Hello, I am working on my 2011 Cayenne s. Just pulled the valve covers to look at the cams.

Watching many videos, and reading on forums, when timing is perfect the two holes on top of the camshaft are facing up and you can bolt in the timing tool properly.

The question I have is do I have to crank the flywheel so the holes line up and you can stick a tool in there - prior to using the camshaft tool?

I guess I’m just wondering if I I don’t do anything to the engine and take the valve covers off. Should I see perfect timing, the holes straight up right away?

attached are pics after I took cover off. Cams are not lined up

Thanks for any comments a little difficult to explain

Last edited by Mr. Ken; 01-07-2024 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Added pic
Old 01-07-2024, 03:23 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 606 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Ken
Hello, I am working on my 2011 Cayenne s. Just pulled the valve covers to look at the cams.
Why? What are you trying to accomplish?

Watching many videos, and reading on forums, when timing is perfect the two holes on top of the camshaft are facing up and you can bolt in the timing tool properly.

The question I have is do I have to crank the flywheel so the holes line up and you can stick a tool in there - prior to using the camshaft tool?

I guess I’m just wondering if I I don’t do anything to the engine and take the valve covers off. Should I see perfect timing, the holes straight up right away?
Yes, if you got extremely lucky and happened to stop the engine at exactly cyl1 TDC on compression.
Old 01-07-2024, 03:27 PM
Mr. Ken
5th Gear

I have code 17, 344
replaced Cps and crank sensor.
On bank 2 found the plastic / Deloran bits piled up along top of chain.
Not wanting to do a timing chain job - I wanted to see if I could adjust timing to see if I could get by for a while
Old 01-07-2024, 03:31 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Getting to the point of having off the valve covers is probably the most involved part of the process; it would be a real shame to not go the next bit to replace the timing chain guides at this point!
Old 01-07-2024, 03:43 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,916 Likes on 1,728 Posts

I have code 17, 344
replaced Cps and crank sensor.
On bank 2 found the plastic / Deloran bits piled up along top of chain.
Not wanting to do a timing chain job - I wanted to see if I could adjust timing to see if I could get by for a while
What code do you have. P0344?

So if that's the case, you changed both sensors and then see cocaine piled up along the top of the chain. If it were me, I whiff that stuff up then start on the guides. Don't put that thing back together half fixed. Do it right the first time and make a DIY for your fellow members. May the power be with ya!
Old 01-07-2024, 04:30 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

It's interesting that the S model V8s are the ones with this issue; high mileage turbos don't seem to eat up their chain guides like the Ss. How many miles are on your S?

The large U-shaped chain guide that breaks apart is $98.14 from the dealer. With the timing chain cover installed, you can't see is how much of your timing chain guide has broken off; if you just "whiff up" the chipped off pieces (how many did you have?), it will keep chipping and create the error again, which would completely waste the time and $$ you have already put into this.

There's a DIY post here, and I'm sure you can get good guidance as you tackle this!

Last edited by garrett376; 01-07-2024 at 04:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
zmaj (01-12-2024)
Old 01-07-2024, 10:10 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Plus, you still have to check your oil pan for the rest of the pieces.
Old 01-08-2024, 01:43 AM
Mr. Ken
5th Gear

Thanks for the feedback. My cayenne has 183k miles and runs pretty dang well. Would love to keep it for another 5 years.

Old 01-14-2024, 04:12 PM
Mr. Ken
5th Gear

Alright gonna go for it. I have a alldata subscription for one month. Thanks for the help as I have questions -

first question - removal of radiator fan. I’ve disconnected everything - what do you do to the side tabs so you can free it and lift it out? I tried a use a screwdriver to pry one and the tab broke

update - ok I found there were some black flat springs that you push in order to free the fan assembly.

Last edited by Mr. Ken; 01-14-2024 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-14-2024, 11:05 PM
Mr. Ken
5th Gear

I removed the intake and a saw that some wiring has been chewed maybe. Will need to do some minor wiring repair.

in the valley there was some almost shredded insulation - not sure if that was brought in by a rodent or if there is some insulation in the valley.

im replacing the starter while in there - was not too difficult to remove.

Anything else I should replaced or look at while in there?

Intake valves are very carboned. I will use Berryman’s to soak and pick at it to remove some deposits.

Old 01-16-2024, 10:25 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

I wouldn't touch the carbon unless you plan on totally removing it from the back of the valves. If you have a Harbor Frieght near you, go get the tank and some walnut shells and do it the correct way. You will also need one of these.

Port cleaning tool

https://www.harborfreight.com/25-lbs...dia-92150.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/collections/automotive-tools/paint-trim-body-service/110-lb-pressurized-abrasive-blaster-69724.html

Also required is a shop vac and a decent sized compressor.

Quick Reply: Timing adjustment question