Sponsored By:

Service records on a used car

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2020, 05:40 PM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Service records on a used car

You may have seen my "new owner" post a few threads down...have a 2016 Cayenne. Called my local dealer asking if the car had any recalls not performed and to see if they had any maintenance records. They only could see one Campaign done on the car and told me who did it - Porsche of Greensboro. So I call PoG asking if they could look it up and tell me the maintenance history - they said "no, can only do it if the original owner gives permission because it is a violation of privacy."

That seems like a stretch, but whatever.

Does anyone know how I might be able to get maintenance history (besides the book in the glove compartment)?

--------------------------------
Edit: okay, nevermind. I should have Googled first before posting. This has been covered. https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9934...ealership.html.

Last edited by aryork; 08-05-2020 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-05-2020, 06:20 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 467 Likes on 311 Posts

That is the standard line, and Porsche dealers aren't able to give you maintenance history/records from other dealerships, only warranty and recall info. However, when I bought my 996TT I went to the selling/servicing dealer in person and the service advisor printed out every single record from pre-delivery inspection up until the day I bought it from a 3rd party - so the bottom line is, it really all depends on who you talk to. When I bought my Cayenne GTS as a CPO from a Porsche dealership, they also gave me every single service record as it had been bought and serviced there since day 1.

It never hurts to try to sweet talk an advisor and maybe offer a token of appreciation.

The following users liked this post:
aryork (08-05-2020)
Old 08-05-2020, 07:35 PM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by leftlane
It never hurts to try to sweet talk an advisor and maybe offer a token of appreciation.
I'll have to get the wife to play that role!
Old 08-06-2020, 04:29 AM
Leadfoot_mf
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Might have better luck going to dealer in said car. The reluctance might be they don't have any real proof you have assumed ownership. Thoughts?
Old 08-06-2020, 11:12 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,156 Likes on 764 Posts

And it helps if you tell them to redact (hey - we all know THAT word now don't we..) the old owners name/address/contact info from the records. Asking nicely has always worked for me.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:46 PM
craig001
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

If you got the Cayenne from a p-car dealer then they should be able to pull a sevice history, Maybe not copies of the actual invoices but you should be able to get a synopsis of the work done and dates of service, When I got my Cayenne from Blue Grass Porsche they supplied that as well as copies of the invoices from service preformed after they took possession of the on lease turn in. I would can the sales rep and inquire, If you got it from a private sale or non-Porsche dealership then you may be SOL.

Quick Reply: Service records on a used car