Sponsored By:

2014 GTS - high mileage experience

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2022, 07:28 PM
Jc27
Track Day

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocknroad
It's a much easier process than it looks. This is for the V6 but, just repeat the process for the other side and, viola, done. Check 2:05 on the vid for the secret sauce. You don't need to actually unplug a connection under the air supply or remove the air tube. Just move it out of the way.
https://youtu.be/ldpQ7yaQB3A
yeah, it’s easy except for the hose that runs through the air box. I think only the V8’s or GTS’s have it. I haven’t found a video that shows it or shows how to disconnect it. You have to disconnect because you can’t open the air box with it running through.
Old 06-08-2022, 07:42 PM
Jc27
Track Day

Default Transfer case

Curious what the thoughts are on this - as we all know, there is a 10yr warranty on the transfer case because a certain percentage of them fail. I ran into a guy with a GTS today and he told me I should go get the transfer case replaced at the dealership. To which I replied that I thought I’d have to wait for it to fail. He said no, just tell them it’s not working right. He said he just got his done.

I have no idea the validity of his story. But it had me thinking, should I get it replaced under warranty if they actually replace them without failing?
Old 06-08-2022, 07:46 PM
luciano136
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Jc27
Curious what the thoughts are on this - as we all know, there is a 10yr warranty on the transfer case because a certain percentage of them fail. I ran into a guy with a GTS today and he told me I should go get the transfer case replaced at the dealership. To which I replied that I thought I’d have to wait for it to fail. He said no, just tell them it’s not working right. He said he just got his done.

I have no idea the validity of his story. But it had me thinking, should I get it replaced under warranty if they actually replace them without failing?
That doesn't seem to make any sense to me since it's not a recall but a warranty. If they can't prove there is anything wrong with it, I doubt they can get authorization to replace.
Old 06-08-2022, 07:52 PM
Jc27
Track Day

Originally Posted by luciano136
That doesn't seem to make any sense to me since it's not a recall but a warranty. If they can't prove there is anything wrong with it, I doubt they can get authorization to replace.
I agree, I question why they would replace it without failure.
Old 06-08-2022, 08:16 PM
Rocknroad
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

yeah, it’s easy except for the hose that runs through the air box. I think only the V8’s or GTS’s have it. I haven’t found a video that shows it or shows how to disconnect it. You have to disconnect because you can’t open the air box with it running through.
Hmm, hose running through the box? My 4.8 does not have that. Do you have any pics you can upload?
Old 06-08-2022, 08:22 PM
Rocknroad
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

Shortly after purchasing my CS, I started feeling the low gear surging and shift thuds. There was an occasional binding in the TC when backing out of the driveway and turning the wheel. Of course, when taken to the dealer for TC replacement, they said it appeared fine. I politely questioned their diagnosis. The next morning, the shop foreman test drove it and declared that I should get a new TC. Done. Even if you barely feel some of the symptoms, it might be worth a try. The worst that can happen is they say no, and you have documentation that you felt it was failing, under warranty, so when it does fail, 2 weeks out of warranty, you can argue for a goodwill replacement.
Old 06-08-2022, 08:50 PM
Jc27
Track Day

Hmm, hose running through the box? My 4.8 does not have that. Do you have any pics you can upload?
I didn’t take pics, wish I would have. Maybe I will this weekend.
Old 06-08-2022, 08:55 PM
luciano136
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I believe it's only a GTS thing. It runs through the driver's side airbox; pretty sure that's what pipes intake sound into the cabin when you drive in Sport mode. I know I disconnected it last year without too much issue but unfortunately I don't remember exactly how.
Old 06-08-2022, 09:01 PM
Jc27
Track Day

Originally Posted by luciano136
I believe it's only a GTS thing. It runs through the driver's side airbox; pretty sure that's what pipes intake sound into the cabin when you drive in Sport mode. I know I disconnected it last year without too much issue but unfortunately I don't remember exactly how.
I was trying to think why the heck they would run anything through the air box. If you’re right about it being what is used to pipe in the intake sound in sport mode, that kind of pisses me off. That ridiculous.
Old 06-08-2022, 09:39 PM
luciano136
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I was trying to think why the heck they would run anything through the air box. If you’re right about it being what is used to pipe in the intake sound in sport mode, that kind of pisses me off. That ridiculous.
It's a fun gadget in a way but could've been achieved in a simpler way. I had looked up a vid on changing the filters and the hose was a surprise to me as well.
The following users liked this post:
Jc27 (06-08-2022)
Old 06-08-2022, 10:20 PM
JamesN
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

Had my TC replaced last month , 2017 CS , 25K miles. I told my service rep the symptoms over the phone, rough shifting, binding on slow speed tight turns. They had to test drive it to verify before they would replace, Obviously symptoms were there. Ordered TC on Wednesday , I had my truck back by Friday.

Jim

The following users liked this post:
Jc27 (06-08-2022)
Old 06-11-2022, 03:41 AM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 98 Posts

I have completed my 2nd year of ownership of my 2014 Cayenne GTS. I drove about 7k miles this year with the GTS (odometer is just under 117k). I still love this car as much as a did the first day I got it. I love the way it drives and the way it looks, and it's great for toting the kids around, getting to sports practice, and going camping. I just got the GTS back from it's yearly service at the local indy Porsche mechanic - oil change, state inspection, and air filter replacement. I typically replace the all of the air filters myself on my cars, but I couldn't figure out how to disconnect the hose that runs through the air box. Let me know if any of you know, I haven't come across a thread or video yet that details that part. At least the cabin filter was easy enough.

I also mentioned in a previous thread about the oil consumption, probably 1 quart every 2k-3k miles. I asked the service manager about that and he said that is typical for these vehicles, and he has seen many that consume 1 quart per 1k miles. I find it a little odd that these engines consume oil like that, but it is what it is, and I guess it's a small cost to pay for the enjoyment.

As always, I'll you know if anything else comes up. Fingers crossed the GTS continues chugging along.
Try using the Motul 5w-40. I've switched from Mobil1 0w-40 on various Porsches after they were 'eating' the oil, and my oil consumption almost completely stopped. I had this experience on all of my 997.2's.

Regarding the GTS', I'm on my second high-mileage (this one I have now has 153k miles) and I've only used Motul on both of them and have no oil consumption . Give it a go at your next oil change and see if it helps. Either way - it's regarded as a better lubricant than the Mobil 1 product.

The following 2 users liked this post by z3mcoupe:
35mphgolf (10-09-2023), rutthenut (11-13-2023)
Old 06-13-2022, 12:06 AM
luciano136
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I use Motul as well on my cars, including both P cars. 5w-40, no burn either.
The following 2 users liked this post by luciano136:
35mphgolf (10-09-2023), lml999 (06-13-2022)
Old 04-27-2023, 11:39 AM
Jc27
Track Day

Default Update 4/27/23

Took the 2014 GTS for service yesterday, mileage is at 123,877 -

- oil change
- state inspection
- new front brake pads and rotors
- replaced cornering light bulb
- added coolant (low coolant light came on the morning I took it for service). Shop said that many of the Porsche models tend to need the coolant topped off from time to time. This was the first time in my 3yrs of ownership.
- had a small oil leak, shop said it was caused by the o-ring on the oil filter

After 3yrs and 20k miles of ownership I still love this thing. I'm keeping my fingers crossed this car continues on without any major issues.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jc27:
35mphgolf (10-09-2023), KBell (04-27-2023)
Old 06-14-2023, 06:58 AM
apigo200x
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very nice gts

Quick Reply: 2014 GTS - high mileage experience