Sponsored By:

fog light mod ? Morimoto XB LED

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2020, 07:08 PM
coffeeisgood
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts
Lightbulb fog light mod ? Morimoto XB LED

has anyone modding their fog lights on their 2012 to 2015? Cayenne (seems odd to include 2015... did they put LED fogs in 2016+?)

I came across these for $175
Morimoto XB LED
powered by three Nichia 5500K LED's that produce around 1200 raw lumens per side.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/po...to-xb-led.html

Old 02-02-2020, 07:40 PM
CK.GTS
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I have them done to my 2013 with yellow LEDs. I don't use them as often as you'd think, but they're nice nonetheless. Probably more of a nice to have than anything else.

I had the same Morimoto LED fogs done to my prior car (2010 Infiniti G37 Sedan) and was really happy with them - which prompted me to see if they were available for the Cayenne. I'll take a photo for you when I get back from business travel next week.

Here they were on my Infiniti

Old 02-03-2020, 01:28 AM
John Young
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by coffeeisgood
has anyone modding their fog lights on their 2012 to 2015? Cayenne (seems odd to include 2015... did they put LED fogs in 2016+?)

I came across these for $175
Morimoto XB LED
powered by three Nichia 5500K LED's that produce around 1200 raw lumens per side.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/po...to-xb-led.html
There is another thread about the morimotos. I have them on my 2015- it’s stock halogens. Prob the only halogens on the car. I got them with the yellow LEDs. Looks decent and has a cutoff- but I struggle that the output is not enough. I wanted much more output for winter snow down low as a fog light, but it seems to push out a bit or maybe too high if you try to aim them to flood midway in the road. I have factory LED headlights. My next step is behind the grill yellow SAE lights- but trying to figure that out since it’s a PITA to disassemble and get back there.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:35 AM
CK.GTS
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by John Young
There is another thread about the morimotos. I have them on my 2015- it’s stock halogens. Prob the only halogens on the car. I got them with the yellow LEDs. Looks decent and has a cutoff- but I struggle that the output is not enough. I wanted much more output for winter snow down low as a fog light, but it seems to push out a bit or maybe too high if you try to aim them to flood midway in the road. I have factory LED headlights. My next step is behind the grill yellow SAE lights- but trying to figure that out since it’s a PITA to disassemble and get back there.
I agree with you on the output. They make a difference, but not a substantial one.
Old 02-03-2020, 02:30 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

As soon as I got my 2016 CD, one of the first things I did was get the Morimoto fog lights and they did raise the output to useable. It was/is not a huge upgrade in output but from experience, spending the money on them, vs putting bulbs, either HID or LED in the existing halogen housings, was the wiser choice.

Unless it is raining/snowing/fog/roads are wet, I don't use them. When I do need them, they help.
Old 09-09-2021, 08:19 PM
coffeeisgood
Pro

so I decided to pull the plug and just ordered the

H11: MORIMOTO 2STROKE 3.0
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/h1...H11?quantity=1

no idea if I really need the
OPTIONAL DRL ANTI-FLICKER LINKS
PWM Module: Morimoto 2Stroke 3.0 (Pair / H11)

but I added it & will check it out. I read all the material on the Morimoto site & it seems like it would be a good idea to have it. I dont need my fog lights screwing with my battery. That said, I could not find a youtube review that talked about this "optional" add on.

It seems like the previous option is still available (first link in this thread) but they are really pushing this new one & it was not that much more money (maybe $20? more). If you search directly on Morimoto or the RetroFitSource site putting in your year/Porsche/Cayenne, this older fog light option does not even come up anymore.
Everything I read about this older option is they are good so you get a usable fog lights but nobody really was like wow so it stopped me from spending any $ on this option . You get a full housing replacement, so a new clear bubble but I decided to go with the latest & greatest where you only get the blub

In the mornings, I actually drive up/down PCH (highway 1) in northern San Diego & we actually do get a bit of fog. (usually in May/June & of course I'm doing this mod in September but whatever maybe they will find some use in my trip to Tahoe this winter.)
I went with the "white" option though, not sure I would like to look of yellow fog lights, meh... whatever
I did check out my fog light lenses (clear bubble), they are a little pitted (so low to the ground, that's going to happen) but not sure if it will be material to the light output. If anyone has the p/n replacement, I am curious how much that would be. Sounds like a fun rabbit hole.

Last edited by coffeeisgood; 09-09-2021 at 08:20 PM.
Old 09-09-2021, 08:45 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 748 Likes on 537 Posts

Here's an oldie but a goodie from Daniel Stern on what you should/shouldn't expect from fog lamps.

article

TLR - fog lamps help you see the edge/lines of the road in heavy fog, at low speeds. For everything else they are purely decorative, and frequently reduce your and others' vision due to reflections.

So...swapping halogen for LEDs is largely cosmetic.
The following 2 users liked this post by lml999:
coffeeisgood (09-09-2021), Mr. Merk (12-11-2021)
Old 09-20-2021, 09:27 AM
coffeeisgood
Pro

so installed new white H11: MORIMOTO 2STROKE 3.0
this weekend for my fog lights
yep, picked "white" for cosmetic reasons but seriously considered the "yellow"

had a local PCA truck (I mean Cayenne meet up, had a friend use his Launch X431 to code the fog lights to go on as a welcome light when you press the unlock button (& code for them to be accepted as LEDs)

I just love them, this mod actually make the fog lights usable! My neighborhood is really dark and we regularly get a bit of morning fog, they actually work! hahaha..

for the install, just turned the wheel, pulled back the front tire liners (removed a few torx bolts & used a trim tool on the liner)
took a little time (like 20 mins total) to slide them in correctly and make sure they were clicked into place. easy enough
my lenses have a slight bit of pitting (of course, they are so low) but replacing them will require removing the bumper. I'll most likely pick up the parts (lenses) at some point & do it.
fun fun

FYI - for fog lights, pretty sure you do NOT need the OPTIONAL DRL ANTI-FLICKER LINKS (that extra $52 MSRP option / parts)
Old 12-11-2021, 01:53 PM
Mr. Merk
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by lml999
Here's an oldie but a goodie from Daniel Stern on what you should/shouldn't expect from fog lamps.

article

TLR - fog lamps help you see the edge/lines of the road in heavy fog, at low speeds. For everything else they are purely decorative, and frequently reduce your and others' vision due to reflections.

So...swapping halogen for LEDs is largely cosmetic.
I recently broke a fog on a roadtrip and Dan recommended these

Fog lamps: That's a pretty common mount pattern on those fog lamps. Porsche bought them from the originators of that mount (Valeo). The aftermarket knockoffs are severely inferior and not worth messing with, but would you be willing to pay more for vastly better, more effective, and _much_ more impact-resistant fog lamps? Take a look at https://www.subispeed.com/part/light...led-fog-lights. Note the mount pattern. These are selective-yellow LED fog lamps and they are _really_ good. Much brighter, broader output than the halogens, and they meet the updated F3 photometrics. They have a polycarbonate lens that will shrug off road missiles. As you can see they're pricy, but you get a lot for the money.

Quick Reply: fog light mod ? Morimoto XB LED