Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Lost FOB, will car lock from FOB if other FOB in car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2020, 04:56 PM
carjunkie
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost FOB, will car lock from FOB if other FOB in car?

We have lost one of the FOBs to our 2013 Cayenne and think they might be in the car. On other cars we have owned if the FOB was in the car it wouldn't let you lock it with the other FOB. I guess itwas trying to tell you 'hey dumbass, you left the keys in the car'! That would be a big clue in us finding the key.

If they are lost, how painful are the P folks going to be to get a replacement? I have seen the blank FOB on line for a reasonable price, but the programming is still going to hurt I'm sure.
Any insight into either of these topics?
Old 01-08-2020, 05:11 PM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by carjunkie
We have lost one of the FOBs to our 2013 Cayenne and think they might be in the car. On other cars we have owned if the FOB was in the car it wouldn't let you lock it with the other FOB. I guess itwas trying to tell you 'hey dumbass, you left the keys in the car'! That would be a big clue in us finding the key.

If they are lost, how painful are the P folks going to be to get a replacement? I have seen the blank FOB on line for a reasonable price, but the programming is still going to hurt I'm sure.
Any insight into either of these topics?
If you don't have entry and drive it will happily let you lock the key in the car.

All said and done I think it was about $500-600 to have a replacement key made. When I bought mine it only had one key and the dealer I purchased from said to have my local dealer do it and they would reimburse me.

I'd invest a significant amount of time into crawling around the car and poking the phone camera into nooks and crannies before going through that process again.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:44 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 114 Posts

If you have enter and drive, it will warn you that it detects two keys when you start the car (something I find very annoying).
Old 01-09-2020, 12:38 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 763 Posts

If you have entry and drive - it won't let you lock the car with a key in it. At least mine won't. The fob you're finding on-line doesn't have the encoded chip that's needed to start the engine. It would work to unlock the car if you got the key cut, but the car won't see a chip so it's not going to start. It's about $500-600 for a replacement key that has to be coded by Porsche specifically for your car, then enabled and mated to the car by your Porsche dealer (figure 1 hour labor charge.)

Moral of the story - you don't want to lose these keys.

Quick Reply: Lost FOB, will car lock from FOB if other FOB in car?