Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Trailer hitch prep option ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 03:41 AM
mr_hyde
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks Grandpa John. I had a Grandpa John once and he probably would have known the answer to that too even though he passed away over 25 years ago RIP...

After reading dozens of Cayenne threads that make absolutely zero mention of a brake controller, I have come to the conclusion that a) the vast majority of Cayenne towed trailers don't have brakes, or b) the vast majority of people towing trailers with brakes aren't aware or aren't concerned that the OEM 'towing module' isn't powering the trailer brakes. From my research, it looks like there is wiring for the brake controller up under the dash but I have yet to find any information on the wiring diagram or if it is plug and play to any particular make/model of controller. Controllers I have installed in basic trucks need a big beefy +12v, a big beefy ground and the +12v from the brake lights so it knows when you are trying to slow down. I've used at LEAST #12 wire for a 30a power IIRC so hopefully Porsche ran something similar from under the dash to the area near the bumper (or that magic module that doesn't control brakes...).

Of course, I could really be overthinking this. I'm not even planning to tow often or far with the Cayenne but when I do, I want it to be safe and workable.

Originally Posted by GrandPaJohn
No, you will need a brake controller. You can go either the wired or wireless route. If you go wired, the connector is tucked up under the dash above the brake pedal. Hard to find but many threads on clubtouareg.
Old 01-07-2020, 07:35 AM
GrandPaJohn
Pro

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by mr_hyde
Thanks Grandpa John. I had a Grandpa John once and he probably would have known the answer to that too even though he passed away over 25 years ago RIP...

After reading dozens of Cayenne threads that make absolutely zero mention of a brake controller, I have come to the conclusion that a) the vast majority of Cayenne towed trailers don't have brakes, or b) the vast majority of people towing trailers with brakes aren't aware or aren't concerned that the OEM 'towing module' isn't powering the trailer brakes. From my research, it looks like there is wiring for the brake controller up under the dash but I have yet to find any information on the wiring diagram or if it is plug and play to any particular make/model of controller. Controllers I have installed in basic trucks need a big beefy +12v, a big beefy ground and the +12v from the brake lights so it knows when you are trying to slow down. I've used at LEAST #12 wire for a 30a power IIRC so hopefully Porsche ran something similar from under the dash to the area near the bumper (or that magic module that doesn't control brakes...).

Of course, I could really be overthinking this. I'm not even planning to tow often or far with the Cayenne but when I do, I want it to be safe and workable.
If you're going to tow anything sizeable (over 2000lbs) you WILL NEED trailer brakes. I tow a ~6,000 lb RV trailer and use a wired Prodigy P3 brake controller. I had a Touareg previously (Cayenne's sister) and gained a wealth of info on the Clubtouareg towing forums. Spend some time reading the forums. More folks towing with Touaregs and the wiring/towing setup is the same using the same components. . This thread might be a good start.
https://www.clubtouareg.com/threads/.../#post-1921545

Old 01-07-2020, 02:02 PM
mr_hyde
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks. I would never tow a real sized trailer past the end of the driveway without a brake controller. I think there is some misunderstanding in the community based on the lack of discussion on installing the controller, which controller to use, etc.

I appreciate the link!
Originally Posted by GrandPaJohn
If you're going to tow anything sizeable (over 2000lbs) you WILL NEED trailer brakes. I tow a ~6,000 lb RV trailer and use a wired Prodigy P3 brake controller. I had a Touareg previously (Cayenne's sister) and gained a wealth of info on the Clubtouareg towing forums. Spend some time reading the forums. More folks towing with Touaregs and the wiring/towing setup is the same using the same components. . This thread might be a good start.
https://www.clubtouareg.com/threads/.../#post-1921545