Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Durametric Cable for Tow Module?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 04:51 PM
tmckenna
Pro

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts
Question Durametric Cable for Tow Module?

I recently purchase all the parts that I need to install a proper OEM trailer hitch and wiring to my car. I should be able to get it all installed in the next 2 weeks or so. My only concern is regarding the coding of the car to see the module. I have a friend that offered to borrow a PIWIS tool to code it, but another friend of mine who runs a performance shop recommended doing it with the Durametric Cable. He works on Audis a lot so they use the VAGCOM VCDS cable which can do pretty much anything to VW or Audi cars in terms of software. He likened the Durametric cable to the VAGCOM Cable and said he was almost certain that it could code the tow module in.

Does anybody know if this is true. I like the idea of the durametric cable because VCDS came in handy quite often while owning an Audi but if the Durametric Cable cannot code in the Tow module I'll save the $300 for now and have my friend code it with the PIWIS
Old 01-06-2020, 04:56 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

durametric will not code in a tow module on a 958
Old 01-06-2020, 05:23 PM
dollarlongnecks
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
durametric will not code in a tow module on a 958
I concur... In addition, the Launch x431 tablets also do not appear to be able to access the trailer module.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:41 AM
slavie
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts

Durametric can't hold a candle to VCDS, completely different cables and capabilities. No, x431 cannot access the tow module on 958, but PIWIS II can.
Buy a used tow module (I've seen them as low as $50), it does not need any coding as 958 came with "trailer hitch preparation" option, or whatever it's called, which means that the rest of the car is ready as long as you plug in a tow module and connect the wiring. If you buy a new module, I believe it will need to be coded.
Old 01-07-2020, 12:31 PM
tmckenna
Pro

Originally Posted by slavie
Durametric can't hold a candle to VCDS, completely different cables and capabilities. No, x431 cannot access the tow module on 958, but PIWIS II can.
Buy a used tow module (I've seen them as low as $50), it does not need any coding as 958 came with "trailer hitch preparation" option, or whatever it's called, which means that the rest of the car is ready as long as you plug in a tow module and connect the wiring. If you buy a new module, I believe it will need to be coded.
The weird thing is the my cars build sheet includes "1D6 Towing Package" but shows no sign of hitch or module. I purchased a used module from ebay so maybe it wont requiring coding.
Old 01-07-2020, 02:18 PM
slavie
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by tmckenna
The weird thing is the my cars build sheet includes "1D6 Towing Package" but shows no sign of hitch or module. I purchased a used module from ebay so maybe it wont requiring coding.
That's interesting. Did you check if you already have the tow module? You should be able to see it by removing the access panel on the right side of the trunk.
The only thing I can think if is if it was replaced with non-hitch bumper due to accident or something.

The option I was talking about is 1D8 - "Preparation for detachable trailer coupling", which is what I believe all non-hitch equipped 958 Cayenne's come from, at least here in the US.
Old 01-07-2020, 02:29 PM
tmckenna
Pro

Originally Posted by slavie
That's interesting. Did you check if you already have the tow module? You should be able to see it by removing the access panel on the right side of the trunk.
The only thing I can think if is if it was replaced with non-hitch bumper due to accident or something.

The option I was talking about is 1D8 - "Preparation for detachable trailer coupling", which is what I believe all non-hitch equipped 958 Cayenne's come from, at least here in the US.
Yeh I looked for the tow module and as far as i could tell there was nothing there. Bought one in case i need one. If not hopefully i can sell the used one i got and recoop some cost
Old 01-07-2020, 02:39 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by tmckenna
Curious...The module may not need to be recoded/updated, but I suspect that the vehicle has other modules that need to know that it exists. Hmmmm. hope it is simple as plug and play with the used one.

One thing to be aware of. When my module was setup, the tech had to select whether I was going to be using trailer lights that were LED or incandescent(ICD). I had them code for ICD because here are converters for ICD to LED but not LED to ICD. I have a trailer that uses ICD and all of the uhauls i use are LED
Old 01-07-2020, 02:42 PM
tmckenna
Pro

Originally Posted by CAVU
Curious...The module may not need to be recoded/updated, but I suspect that the vehicle has other modules that need to know that it exists. Hmmmm. hope it is simple as plug and play with the used one.

One thing to be aware of. When my module was setup, the tech had to select whether I was going to be using trailer lights that were LED or incandescent(ICD). I had them code for ICD because here are converters for ICD to LED but not LED to ICD. I have a trailer that uses ICD and all of the uhauls i use are LED
Good to know, thanks for the heads up
Old 01-07-2020, 03:01 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

with my used module, I don't get the lights on the dash for the extra blinker, nor does the lane keep or back up sensors turn off.

So I wouldn't count on a used module working properly
Old 01-07-2020, 03:04 PM
tmckenna
Pro

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
with my used module, I don't get the lights on the dash for the extra blinker, nor does the lane keep or back up sensors turn off.

So I wouldn't count on a used module working properly
Gotcha, thank you

Quick Reply: Durametric Cable for Tow Module?